Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:07:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you listening to at the moment? (Not a list thread)

Started by Puce Moment, August 22, 2014, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

Never really listened to VdGG before, but loving this. Kinda early Genesis / Bowie sorta ting.

Edit to say : When I first played this the other day I had totally confused VdGG with Bachmann Turner Overdrive......

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 22, 2018, 09:44:13 AM
Classic album! I think it's only because some tracks are so superb that others seem to drag. Shame he doesn't seem to have done a proper album (as Tim Exile at least) since.

So good.

This is just incredible. I mean it suffers a bit from 'EDM producer who thinks he can sing' syndrome but still, it's amazing.

Yep, they were among my favourites off the album actually. Loved the opener, too.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 22, 2018, 11:49:13 AM

Never really listened to VdGG before, but loving this. Kinda early Genesis / Bowie sorta ting.

Edit to say : When I first played this the other day I had totally confused VdGG with Bachmann Turner Overdrive......

Of the "bigger" 70s prog bands, VdGG are by far my favourite. Their comeback albums, too, are amazing.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 22, 2018, 12:06:38 PM
Of the "bigger" 70s prog bands, VdGG are by far my favourite. Their comeback albums, too, are amazing.
Any one in particular I should check out, Nev?

Sebastian Cobb

I liked exiles gabbaret lounge. He used to post on another forum I went on.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 22, 2018, 12:48:29 PM
Any one in particular I should check out, Nev?

VdGG would make a good candidate for that thread about liking (nearly) all of a band's output. Their studio album discography is pretty small, so you can't really go wrong. Godbluff and Still Life are pretty essential, though. Of their later stuff, Present and Trisector are the only ones I know and they're both excellent. I've just seen they've released three more albums since then - well fuck my hat!

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 22, 2018, 01:22:50 PM
VdGG would make a good candidate for that thread about liking (nearly) all of a band's output. Their studio album discography is pretty small, so you can't really go wrong. Godbluff and Still Life are pretty essential, though. Of their later stuff, Present and Trisector are the only ones I know and they're both excellent. I've just seen they've released three more albums since then - well fuck my hat!

Hmmmm. Is it at a jaunty angle?

Thanks for the rec's, Nev! Just beginning to investigate. I love it when I find an unheard 'older' band.

Head Gardener

Brian Campeau has just recorded an exclusive session for my show to be broadcast soon,
check this lovely tune : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAW62JyVfPE

Norton Canes

Blast from the past, Friendly Fires are back with Love Like Waves

New Rave-tastic!

Cuellar

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 22, 2018, 07:34:09 AM
One Of Those Things is the one. Always thought it was too similar to Werewolves Of London, don't know about any legal action

https://youtu.be/nitrNrXwXEc

Fuck ME I'd not heard that before. That's hilarious.

Neomod

phantom_power

Yeah, her new album is great. The AV Club gave it a bit of a duff review but I think I might prefer it to the first one

Artie Fufkin

Kudos for the above, Head!

I'm on a 10cc funk, currently.

Artie Fufkin

Am also just getting into this. Which is EPIC. Great for reading books to, etc.,

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 23, 2018, 06:51:02 PM

All Tomorrows Parties

Marvellous album! I was listening to Brilliant Trees a couple of nights ago. Red Guitar is a candidate for the "last track you played 5 times in a row" thread (except I only played it twice in a row).

Head Gardener

yes Quiet Life's great isn't it? I'd also just listened to the one released before - Obscure Alternatives which hasn't stood the test of time so well.
I went to see them on the OA tour at Northampton Cricket Club in 1979, they were pretty good, a bit more Kiss than the chilled out electronic dudes they became.
I also remember buying a programme for 30p! But I sold it years ago, and couldn't even find a picture of it online to show you but it had an orange cover.

Kane Jones

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 24, 2018, 02:41:20 PM
Really !?

The first Japan album (Adolescent Sex) is quite Glam Rock, definitely. The title track is a bit New Wave though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyah8RVETog

Quiet Life is their best one, for sure. Although I like Tin Drum a lot and think Ghosts may be their best song.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Kane Jones on May 24, 2018, 02:49:40 PM
The first Japan album (Adolescent Sex) is quite Glam Rock, definitely. The title track is a bit New Wave though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyah8RVETog

Quiet Life is their best one, for sure. Although I like Tin Drum a lot and think Ghosts may be their best song.

Tin Drum my fave, Quiet Life a close second.
I like that youtube thang. They look sexy.

Head Gardener

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Cuellar on May 23, 2018, 10:57:58 AM
Fuck ME I'd not heard that before. That's hilarious.

Quote"One of Those Things" was one of the album's catchiest songs, thanks to its unmistakable piano riff. It's "Werewolves of London." Except, when Don't Stand Me Down was originally released, the song was credited to Rowland ... and no one else.

"Basically, I'm amazed and quite embarrassed at my arrogance when I hear this," Rowland wrote in the liner notes of the album's 1997 reissue. "I stole the riff totally from Warren Zevon's 'Werewolves of London' after hearing it on the radio. I didn't care that it was obvious and I ignored the danger that it might well be detected, feeling that what I was doing was more important, Ironically, I thought up a melody that was maybe as good to go over the chords ... but I still insisted on using Mr. Zevon's as well, such was my obliviousness. He now rightfully owns a portion of the song."

Butchers Blind

Michael Rault - It's A New Day Tonight.   Lush 70's pop stylings.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Butchers Blind on May 27, 2018, 12:42:48 PM

Michael Rault - It's A New Day Tonight.   Lush 70's pop stylings.
was actually just listening to that
"Oh, Clever Boy" is the perfect Wings Wild Life tune

Sebastian Cobb

Can't tell if the crackles are from the fire or the lp