Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:39:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you listening to at the moment? (Not a list thread)

Started by Puce Moment, August 22, 2014, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

I've been properly digging into the discography of yer Tangerine Dream (pre 1990 mostly, bar the recent and actually very good Quantum Gate). So much excellent stuff of course, but moving further into the 80's it's hard to shake off the realisation there's quite a lot of stuff which sounds like the soundtrack to a foreign current affairs programme.

New Jack

Quote from: jobotic on June 14, 2018, 07:26:33 AM
Cheers. I'll be sure to give that a listen.

Good, good! Everyone should be into Godspeed!, especially in these times, right people?

At the moment, it's a spot of JC Satan, seen them live, they're great, love their very unconvoluted sound, recommend looking up the thrashy mad choon Crystal Snake or the utterly charming In the Light

Norton Canes

Kane Jones

Dirty Boy

Having a Mingus-fest. Black Saint and the Sinner Lady followed by Let My Children Hear Music. It's so fucking fired up and majestic. Going to go backwards through the 60's-50's malarky soonish and re-read his demented autobiog while i'm at it.

Any other Third Streamers i should have heard that aren't Gil Evans and Don Ellis? (and i suppose Dolphy might fit in there too).

Gregory Torso

Quote from: New Jack on June 17, 2018, 01:33:25 PM
At the moment, it's a spot of JC Satan, seen them live, they're great, love their very unconvoluted sound

They did a fucking lovely cover of "Paranoid", too.

phantom_power

As I am old now I have been re-evaluating Fleetwood Mac. They wrote some great tunes, and had some brilliant instrumentation and orchestration. I had only really been familiar with The Corrs version of Dreams before and, quite rightly I am sure you would agree, thought it was a bag of shit. Listening to the Mac version though really brings out the greatness in the song with the subtle, uncluttered instrumentation and heartfelt singing. The same with Go Your Own Way. Songs that sound lumpy and dull by other bands sound fantastic when given the FM treatment

My krautrock exploration has brought me to Michael Rother, and very glad I am too. I think he is possibly my favourite figure from the genre (as loose as it is) at the moment for his work with Neu, Harmonia and his solo stuff.

Head Gardener

saltysnacks

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 20, 2018, 07:54:36 PM
half time listening

+1

Currently listening to the Stone Roses debut, not a fan at all. Really dull in my opinion.

holyzombiejesus

Bought lots of stuff recently and not overly impressed by much of it. That Stephen Malkmus album is rubbish, Vital Idles is disappointing and still not decided on the Modern Studies LP. The new Natalie Prass has its moments but I'm not overly keen on the more R&Bish elements. Still haven't heard anything to dissuade me from constant re-listens to last year's near perfect Bedouine album. Have really high hopes for next week's new Essex Green album though.

New Jack

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 20, 2018, 01:30:22 PM
They did a fucking lovely cover of "Paranoid", too.

They serpently did!

I told them I loved them on Instagram in French and got a "heart" for the comment. Highlight of my year! (It's been a slow year)

holyzombiejesus

Mo Troper! Joint favourite album of the year so far (although it came out last year)...

(It's power pop, by the way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMkr0REBfqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8SE8Bg0TNE

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Sorry, I know it's not a list thread but for now let me just add a heads-up for new Marissa Nadler: For My Crimes

Artie Fufkin

The girl from Mars Ash - Nice electronica pop - quite proggy in places

Sorry - that's huuuuge!

Norton Canes

What? This came out last year? Completely missed it.

Crabwalk

Tropical Fuck Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace

Best rock album I've heard this year. Apocalyptic, very smart, sometimes pretty funny. Awesome artwork.

You Let My Tyres Down
Rubber Bullies
Soft Power

Head Gardener

hedgehog90

The Magnetic Fields - Save a Secret For The Moon

I think I posted this on the same thread a few months ago.
I don't care though, it's wonderful and I can't get enough of it.

Danger Man

New Order: Confusion

1983 12" mix. Their best work.

Not the 1987 Substance reworking.

Hello Buzby.

Head Gardener

non capisco

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 28, 2018, 04:26:45 PM

Tropical Fuck Storm - A Laughing Death in Meatspace
Best rock album I've heard this year. Apocalyptic, very smart, sometimes pretty funny. Awesome artwork.

If you haven't already you should check out Gareth Liddiard's previous band The Drones, who are basically Tropical Fuck Storm with a different name anyway. 'Shark Fin Blues' is one of my "I cannot listen to this song just once" stick-it-on-again long term favourites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvFKQrlaIfg

The final Drones album 'Feeling Kind Of Free' definitely paves the way for the Tropical Fuck Storm one. 'Taman Shud' is a killer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OkgaCRII7I

Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted and you already knew all this!

phantom_power

I am currently slightly obsessed with listening to the version of Dream Operator from the film True Stories. Does anyone know if there is a clean version of it available anywhere without the chatter from the crowd?

Clownbaby

Kirin J Callinan- Embracism. He's got a magnetic sexily intimidating bogan voice. It's a really unpredictable alien sounding album.

And I'm obsessed with this song from his second album. It's an actual hot mess with nauseating key changes and he looks like he's proper having fun in the video. I love it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBSAs5gwGk