Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:52:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you listening to at the moment? (Not a list thread)

Started by Puce Moment, August 22, 2014, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Yves Tumor - fuck.. in.. hell (that's not what it's called btw it's just incredible on headphones)

chveik

Rïcïnn - Lïan

French neoclassical stuff. Phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC1WeBxxvuw

Dirty Boy

Gone up in my estimation, despite the none more muddy production. JGT on a major label sounds less agreeable than ever.

Slung FFS.

jobotic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 04, 2018, 01:37:16 PM
That'll be down to the Daft Punk link rather than the Steteolab one, won't it? I have my copy to an ex girlfriend, ffs.

Yep. Trouble is it'll be a glaring hole if I flog it. On the other hand it hasn't come off the shelf in ten years.

Butchers Blind

Rocket Surgery

Downloaded this a while back, only just got round to listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-q8-QUZw5Y

Surprisingly perfect for a last blast of summer sun.

non capisco

Erasure are fucking brilliant, aren't they? The brass balls of calling a song 'Chorus' and managing to write a chorus that actually lives up to the title. 'Drama!', jeez-oh.

Ferris

hedgehog90

Usually I'll listen to a few hours of stuff a day, but haven't listened to anything for about 3 weeks.
Not a thing, just haven't fancied it.

non capisco

I'll start a new thread about it when I'm feeling more verbose but Low's new 'un 'Double Negative' is absolutely stunning, the best thing I've heard all year.

Cuntbeaks

Moribunderast

Watched Jason Mantzoukas' episode of Amoeba's "What's In My Bag" which led me to a lot of good stuff, but I'm currently stuck on Hop Along - particularly their album, Painted Shut. It's very 90s-sounding, reminding me at different times of Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel and Cat Power. Singer Frances Quinlan has a great voice if you like raspy breaking vocals. Their NPR Tiny Desk set served as their main introduction to me and I'm still watching it fairly regularly. The album is louder and has more energy but it'll give ye an idea if the vocals will appeal or annoy.

Dirty Boy

Lots and lots of Alamaailman Vasarat.

Sounds like a brass band on crack.

Neville Chamberlain

^

Good choice, old boy. We all like a bit of the old Alamaailman Vasarat!

I'm currently listening to the oddly monikered Free Salamander Exhibit, which might be up your street. I never could get on with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (though I've long been a fan of their former former band, Idiot Flesh!), which most of the members are/were in, but this is much more focused.

sevendaughters

Quote from: non capisco on September 14, 2018, 09:58:14 PM
Erasure are fucking brilliant, aren't they? The brass balls of calling a song 'Chorus' and managing to write a chorus that actually lives up to the title. 'Drama!', jeez-oh.

first group i ever liked at age 8, still like them now.

listening to Double Negative by Low. interesting.

northernrebel

'Amateur Hour' by Sparks. I love the Glam Rock era heavy drumming!

I only got into them a few years ago, even though I remember them as a kid (mainly for Ron Mael's demented yet hilarious Hitler look and glare).

Norton Canes

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 17, 2018, 02:34:22 PM
listening to Double Negative by Low. interesting

Ain't it. Not really heard much by them before but I gather this is a kind of Kid A moment for them, bringing in loads of production effects? It works a treat, all that swampy, glitchy turbulence subsuming the melody.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 17, 2018, 02:19:56 PM
I'm currently listening to the oddly monikered Free Salamander Exhibit, which might be up your street. I never could get on with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (though I've long been a fan of their former former band, Idiot Flesh!), which most of the members are/were in, but this is much more focused.

conversely, although i like the FSE album i have to say it doesn't reach the heights of the second and third Sleepytime albums for me. They seem to have gone in a more prog metal direction rather than the mutant Art Bears meets Swans-ish SGM.

I'd give In Glorious Times a listen if you missed it, it's my favourite of the three anyway.

Angle Of Repose

Never heard much of Idiot Flesh, but i did like that song Chicken Little so have bookmarked Fancy for later.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 18, 2018, 09:39:46 AM
Ain't it. Not really heard much by them before but I gather this is a kind of Kid A moment for them, bringing in loads of production effects? It works a treat, all that swampy, glitchy turbulence subsuming the melody.

Kid A moment is probably not too far off. I've been a fan since the late 90s, think their first 4/5 records are incredible and remain one of the premier live acts of my life. Since Trust they've expanded their basic sound here and there but most of their latter albums are variations on the same essentially good and accessible version of how they started out.

Until this.

You can hear the old Low song structures in place but yeah, this is Low playing a show from within episode 8 of the last Twin Peaks series.

It's probably, in fairness, as much the producer's record as it is Low's. I wasn't a huge fan of 22, A Million, but I think for the generally doomy outlook of Low it sits so much better. I probably prefer the earliest albums still, but as a transformation it is i. unexpected and ii. successful. So well done.

boki

Currently alternating between Haiku Salut and Zeal & Ardor depending on whether I'm feeling chill or grrr. 

SpiderChrist