Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:33:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you listening to at the moment? (Not a list thread)

Started by Puce Moment, August 22, 2014, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 16, 2018, 12:06:54 PM
Watched Jason Mantzoukas' episode of Amoeba's "What's In My Bag" which led me to a lot of good stuff, but I'm currently stuck on Hop Along - particularly their album, Painted Shut. It's very 90s-sounding, reminding me at different times of Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel and Cat Power. Singer Frances Quinlan has a great voice if you like raspy breaking vocals. Their NPR Tiny Desk set served as their main introduction to me and I'm still watching it fairly regularly. The album is louder and has more energy but it'll give ye an idea if the vocals will appeal or annoy.

This is terrific, really enjoying it. Thanks!

hedgehog90

I'm in the final stretch with about 5 minutes left.
It's killing me, my head hurts.
So good.

hedgehog90

THE SILENCE NOW IS DEAFENING!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I actually felt the room spinning for a moment.

jobotic

I've got Heavier Than a Death In The Family. Haven't listened to it years and didn't get on with it that well despite liking a lot of noise. Time to try again.

hedgehog90

First time I tried some Les Rallizes I hated it. It left a  mysterious earworm though, the kind you don't know where or when you heard it and you spend an hour searching for it a month later, then you realise and you're like FUCK, Night Of The Assassins is a tune!
Even so, that 77 Live record gets a bit torturous towards the 90 minute mark without a break on headphones cranked all the way up.
It's good to feel pain once in a while though.

Neomod

Soccer Mommy | Collection

Been listening to most of her albums recently. Gets a bit samey but it's lovely stuff nevertheless.

Paul Weller | True Meanings

Paul wears his Nick Drake/Van Morrison influences on his sleeve although I can hear someone in the studio saying "You know what Paul, that sounds a bit like Hunky Dory era Bowie" on one track.

Still, lovely stuff.

NoSleep

Quote from: jobotic on September 19, 2018, 10:42:06 PM
I've got Heavier Than a Death In The Family. Haven't listened to it years and didn't get on with it that well despite liking a lot of noise. Time to try again.

This is essentially a small selection (reducing it down to a single CD) from the gig which comprises '77 Live, with the tracks edited into a new playing order and another track added from elsewhere. A classic.

hedgehog90

^ Not familiar. Loving what I'm hearing.
Thanks!!

Edit: Oh shit, that Chris and Cosey. Interesting.

QDRPHNC

Butchers Blind

Head Gardener

The latest release from Johnny R. (aka Aurbennig, one of the most out-there Welsh artists) has landed
and it's a monster triple CD set featuring a tune he has kindly done especially for my radio show.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xxspv5be1xrtigz/Garden_of_Earthly_Delights.mp3/file

Natnar

I've been picking up these new-ish Top Of The Pops triple CD comps for a fiver each over the past few months. Each comp covers a single year and so far 13 volumes have been released covering the years 1974 to 1986. On the whole they're pretty good with my favourite so far being 1980.

sevendaughters

new Suede. it's good! i think i like mature elder goth statesmen Suede more than glitter and heroin off a used kebab tray young Suede. i rejected old Suede out of hand as i preferred american things but went over their discog. last year and enjoyed much of it except DMS which i found gloopy and overdone. apparently this is sacrilege but their latter day bombast just feels realer to me.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 18, 2018, 12:46:19 PM
Angle Of Repose

This is fucking tremendous.

As is The Donkey Headed Adversary of Humanity Opens the Discussion.

At the FSE gig a couple of weeks ago, I had a very pleasant (5-minute) chat with Nils Frykhdal (before he went to put all his make-up on!) and he became extremely animated when talking about Cardiacs, citing Sing to God as one of his favourite albums of all time, after having been turned on to them just a couple of years ago. Dan Rathbun agreed, as did Dave Shamrock who summoned me over to the bar where he was sitting to chat about Cardiacs.

Talking of the SGM crew and associates, I'm extremely taken with Moe! Staiano's Surplus 1980 album Arterial Ends Here. Trefuckingmendous stuff!

the ouch cube

I'm sure at one point there was supposed to be a posthumously released final SGM album, entitled 'Of The Last Human Being'. Maybe it got folded into the Salamander thing

Head Gardener

yes, it's the mid 70's Polydor double vinyl re-issue with Before & After Science, obv

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 26, 2018, 05:41:26 PM

yes, it's the mid 70's Polydor double vinyl re-issue with Before & After Science, obv

Love those 2 albums, BAAS in particular. Kudos !

holyzombiejesus

New Nick Cave live EP is fucking phenomenal. Also getting a lot of plays are the new albums by The Goon Sax, Haiku Salut and Teleman. Would like to start a thread on all these but I won't.

Ferris

timebug

John Mayall's 'A Hard Road' album. Issued fifty one years ago,and I got it the day of release! The Peter Green Instrumental 'The Supernatural' is worth the price of the album alone (I.M.O of course!) and the rest of the album ranks as probably the 'best' Mayall album. I know the Clapton 'Beano' album gets all the plaudits,and it is a brilliant album; but this one tops it,for me, all down to Peter Greens fluidity and smoothness of playing. As a one time guitarist myself, I appreciate every note!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 29, 2018, 02:22:53 AM
Got tickets for nick cave live! Well excited now

Have you heard the new EP? Jubilee Street blew my socks off.

Ferris

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 29, 2018, 12:11:25 PM
Have you heard the new EP? Jubilee Street blew my socks off.

Didn't even know there was a new one! Argh! I'll have to get on Spotify today.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: hedgehog90 on September 19, 2018, 06:13:46 PM

I'm in the final stretch with about 5 minutes left.
It's killing me, my head hurts.
So good.

this is fucking ace. stew's fault, right? it's like "metal machine music" only with drums. I could find this relaxing enough to put me to sleep- I'm that sort of person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYVEQeJ4WQ&app=desktop

[edit- just read about their air-fare dodging bassist! :-O ]

NoSleep

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 01, 2018, 05:15:40 AM
this is fucking ace. stew's fault, right?

I think Copey's probably the main culprit here; Stew probably heard of it via JapRockSampler, too. Here's another, actual review, that hasn't been excised for addition to JRS; http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/les-rallizes-denudes-flightless-bird

I was introduced to the band in the early days of CaBRadio by Marvin (now The Always Red Society) and now have tracked down about 60 hours of Les Rallizes bootlegs, taper-FLACs and DVDs by the band. I think my other favourite aside from Heavier Than A Death In The Family/'77 Live is a recording of the band from 2nd October 1982 (36 years ago tomorrow) at Keio University, which I have as an audience tape, soundboard tape and a video of the performance linked to in full, below:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1la4cD-kHhY&list=PLJXpxwWcM36V-z6U_j2KzwrhD_PFcAIlR (turn the lights down, whack it up to full screen and play it loud).

EDIT: note how the audience remains totally silent between numbers at the gig; apparently a gesture of ultimate respect.

bgmnts

Like a Prayer.

Fuck me what a beautiful song. Might be in my top 10 of all time.

How it makes sex feel like this quasi-religious experience. Such a brilliantly made song.

I feel like Madonna is better than I give her credit.