Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you listening to at the moment? (Not a list thread)

Started by Puce Moment, August 22, 2014, 03:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: NoSleep on October 01, 2018, 09:19:19 AM
I think Copey's probably the main culprit here; Stew probably heard of it via JapRockSampler, too. Here's another, actual review, that hasn't been excised for addition to JRS; http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/albumofthemonth/les-rallizes-denudes-flightless-bird

I was introduced to the band in the early days of CaBRadio by Marvin (now The Always Red Society) and now have tracked down about 60 hours of Les Rallizes bootlegs, taper-FLACs and DVDs by the band. I think my other favourite aside from Heavier Than A Death In The Family/'77 Live is a recording of the band from 2nd October 1982 (36 years ago tomorrow) at Keio University, which I have as an audience tape, soundboard tape and a video of the performance linked to in full, below:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1la4cD-kHhY&list=PLJXpxwWcM36V-z6U_j2KzwrhD_PFcAIlR (turn the lights down, whack it up to full screen and play it loud).

EDIT: note how the audience remains totally silent between numbers at the gig; apparently a gesture of ultimate respect.

cheers for that- yeah, st julian via his first (kraut) tome was disparaging about a lot of the stuff I was already into, but got me to reappraise (e.g.) some of the earlier TD (of 'zeit', he said "it becomes the room in which it's playing" & so we have a track called 'becomes the room' in its & his honour), & to discover a lot of stuff that at the time (early 90s?) I hadn't heard at all, like xhol & guru guru. I avoided the japsampler because I've never had much time for the acid mothers & that lot, though I have a soft spot for boredoms & polysics.
these guys, though- real deal.

side-note: sometime in 1995, I had a phone call from streetly electronics, who look after mellotrons... they'd come into a collection of tape-sets for the things, & read me out a list of what ones they had, mostly ex-TD. I put my name down for a few- the ones I could afford, one of edgar's, one of peter's & a third one with sound effects on it that they'd made themselves, but a couple I expressed an interest in were already spoken for, "julian cope's having those". they'd phoned him right before they'd phoned me. oh well.

he got faust to reform & do that gig at the marquee in, what, 1992? took out loads of adverts in the NME &c, & then never showed up at the gig. we got backstage somehow (I've got a chunk of the set that was carved up with a chainsaw) & no copey. odd.

[edit- our piece isn't on yt but this is from the same era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RZcT4SBdE&t=43s ]

SpiderChrist

Here Lies Man. Sold to me as "Black Sabbath play Afro-Funk"

alan nagsworth

I've been revisiting La Roux's two albums this week and thoroughly enjoying them. They're not consistently knockout stuff but there's enough spark in what Jackson does to stop me from skipping any of the tracks. That said, the singles from both albums really do hold most of the high ground. Bulletproof is a fucking sensational pop tune, as is Uptight Downtown.

SpiderChrist

Norton Canes

alan nagsworth

Quote from: SpiderChrist on October 04, 2018, 02:06:57 PM
Here Lies Man. Sold to me as "Black Sabbath play Afro-Funk"

This is decent, thanks. I take it you're into stuff like Goat, and maybe Melt Yourself Down too?

amnesiac

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 16, 2018, 12:06:54 PM
Watched Jason Mantzoukas' episode of Amoeba's "What's In My Bag" which led me to a lot of good stuff, but I'm currently stuck on Hop Along - particularly their album, Painted Shut. It's very 90s-sounding, reminding me at different times of Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel and Cat Power. Singer Frances Quinlan has a great voice if you like raspy breaking vocals. Their NPR Tiny Desk set served as their main introduction to me and I'm still watching it fairly regularly. The album is louder and has more energy but it'll give ye an idea if the vocals will appeal or annoy.

HUGE fan of the What's In My Bag series and Mantzoukas' episode was brilliant, what a funny/erudite/ well-listened person he is. His remarks on the director's commentary track of the Dead Wood DVD made me want to go and buy it.

Everyone should watch "What's In My Bag" on YT, just pick any artist, doesn't even matter if you like them you'll find something interesting.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 05, 2018, 04:32:07 PM
This is decent, thanks. I take it you're into stuff like Goat, and maybe Melt Yourself Down too?

I'm not, but I will definitely be checking them out, cheers.

hedgehog90

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 01, 2018, 05:15:40 AM
stew's fault, right?

Yup.

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on October 01, 2018, 05:15:40 AM
[edit- just read about their air-fare dodging bassist! :-O ]

Just read about this here. Is it wrong that I like them more now?

Quote from: NoSleep on October 01, 2018, 09:19:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1la4cD-kHhY&list=PLJXpxwWcM36V-z6U_j2KzwrhD_PFcAIlR (turn the lights down, whack it up to full screen and play it loud).

Just listened to the first part. Excellent stuff, cheers.
Also came across one of their final performances, The Last One. Mizutani's even more striking without sunglasses. Sharp, glistening bone structure and Ramones-esque haircut. There's almost a whiff of Raw Power-era Iggy about him, he's just got an air about him, something not quite real, mysterious, that I find very impressive. Not many people have it, but when I see it I know it. Also see Caroliner.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 04, 2018, 11:20:52 AM
Like a Prayer.

Fuck me what a beautiful song. Might be in my top 10 of all time.

How it makes sex feel like this quasi-religious experience. Such a brilliantly made song.

I feel like Madonna is better than I give her credit.

Changing the subject slightly - I totally agree. Not top 10 personally, but seriously good.

I only knew Madonna as a derided figure, growing up. I remember liking was Ray of Light but I was 8 at the time it came out. Ever since I avoided her music assuming that they were right.
Madonna? Ughhh!! *roll eyes* That filthy slut. I HOPE SHE DIES.
And then about 2 years ago I finally listened to Like a Virgin (the record) and was blown away by how good it was, think I posted about them in this thread at the time. I enjoyed Like a Prayer (the record) a lot too.
People mainly credit Nile Rogers for LAV, but she deserves most the credit here IMO.

Her music videos, her image, sex appeal, all of it - from Holiday to Ray of Light - is unmatched by another woman in pop music before or since.
Without Madonna the 90s wouldn't have been half as sexy as they were, for that alone we should be grateful.

hedgehog90

Watched Kings of The Road last night (Wim Wenders film from '76), lovely film, really enjoyed it.
There's a bit near the beginning one of them goes to a beach/quarry to take a dump, and you see it come straight out his arse. 2 wipes, done. It's a lovely moment in all seriousness, not shocking in the slightest.
There was also some fantastic music in there too (the film, not the guy's arse):

Roger Miller - King of the Road
Always reminds me of the Think! Road Safety ad with the hedgehogs crossing the road. Given my choice of username, it's a winner obviously.

Improved Sound Limited - Nine Feet Over the Tarmac
This played over the credits - a German singing English lyrics with some amazingly weird pronunciations and delivery.
LOVE IT.

Heinz Burt - Just Like Eddie
Never heard this one before, a rocking little tune in tribute to Eddie Cochran.

Improved Sound Limited - Suicide Road
Really nice instrumental for on-the-road montages.

Improved Sound Limited - If I Could Read Her Mind

Crispian St Peters - So Long

Sin Agog

Quote from: hedgehog90 on October 08, 2018, 06:46:44 PM
Yup.

Just read about this here. Is it wrong that I like them more now?

Just listened to the first part. Excellent stuff, cheers.
Also came across one of their final performances, The Last One. Mizutani's even more striking without sunglasses. Sharp, glistening bone structure and Ramones-esque haircut. There's almost a whiff of Raw Power-era Iggy about him, he's just got an air about him, something not quite real, mysterious, that I find very impressive. Not many people have it, but when I see it I know it. Also see Caroliner

Agree about the appeal of Mizutani.  Once tried to get his magical vinyl-wrapped stick insect with sex appeal figure on one of those 'Print your own picture onto a t-shirt' listings they have on amazon, but the fuckers sent me a shirt that said Rallizes.jpg in big, bold letters instead.

A friend I've lost touch with went out to Japan to see if Mizutani was still alive, talking to contemporaries who knew him like Keiji Haino, but I don't think he got too far.  He seemed to suspect he was still around somewhere, though.

I made a two-hour radio show on some of the other beautiful Japanese noisesmiths they influenced five or six years ago that might be worth a whirl if you're interested.   https://archive.org/details/77Simon-JapanesePsychedelicNoiseRock

hedgehog90

Well, I hope he's still alive to see people are still digging his music, probably too cool to give a shit though.
Thanks for the link, I haven't heard of most of them, much appreciated!

jobotic

Just read about this concert, it was at a festival that was called off due to massive storm that was on its way as they played!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYteF-C4S_o

Interesting how the leader of another great Japanese band (Maher Shalal Hash Baz) Tori Kudo had a past involving radical politics and "support for imprisoned terrorists" and met his wife (and band member) at a Razilles Denudes gig.

jobotic

Quote from: Sin Agog on October 08, 2018, 08:58:37 PM

I made a two-hour radio show on some of the other beautiful Japanese noisesmiths they influenced five or six years ago that might be worth a whirl if you're interested.   https://archive.org/details/77Simon-JapanesePsychedelicNoiseRock

Had no idea that podcast was someone on here. I listened to your modern classical one a few years back and enjoyed it immensely. Will have to work my way through them.

Sin Agog

Oh, wow, thanks!  That's bizarre hearing that any of them have travelled at all. Although I did once get a funny email from an Inner-Mongolian woman complaining that my throat-singing was amateur cack.  Still vow to get to 100 one day, even though it's been almost a decade since I did one, and I'm kind of embarassed about some of the stupid voices I'd do.

By the way, I'd never heard that about the Maher Shalal members.  That's lovely.

thraxx

The Khruangbin vids on You Tube led me to this group Altin Gun, which I'm totally digging. 

They are of Turkish decent apparently so you've got that eastern funk thing going on, which is why I suppose Khruangbin leads you here, but you can also hear Gainsbourg, Broadcast, Gorky's and other cool bits and pieces going on in there.  I like the fact that they seem to have taken the Lee Mavers 'proper sixties instruments with proper 60s dirt on the strings' to heart and look like the refugee extras from the Ben Stiller episode of Extras.  Oh yeah, I really fancy the female singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5-57lRxAM

jobotic

Hood. Except I really don't know that many songs by them, despite buying a few records on 555 years ago.

These two I do know are so good though.

Usless https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhDNLaVxosw

(The) Weight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRWA95Rxyc8 *

* "Sometimes your arms are like a weight around my neck" is such a sad line. Just on its own it makes me well up.

Artie Fufkin