Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

wondering how my mate in the US can get Brass Eye

Started by cliff, August 30, 2004, 10:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff

He was over this weekend from the US and knowing his sense of humour, I played him a couple of episodes. He p*ssed himself and desperately wants to get it, along with The Day Today. Prob is, he can't change his dvd player to multi-region and I can't find a Region 1 release for these. Any ideas how he can get them?

thanks

Rats

What about the video? Can they play PAL videos over there?

Edje

Quote from: "cliff"He was over this weekend from the US and knowing his sense of humour, I played him a couple of episodes. He p*ssed himself and desperately wants to get it, along with The Day Today. Prob is, he can't change his dvd player to multi-region and I can't find a Region 1 release for these. Any ideas how he can get them?

thanks

Can't he just buy a multiregion DVD player for thirty quid while he's here and just get a US power adaptor for it?

cliff

1. Us has a diff video system called NTSC, doesn't play PAL vids.
2. He saw the episodes then went back to the US, didn't get the chance! Good idea though.

The Fanciful Norwegian

The Brass Eye DVD isn't region coded -- all he needs is a DVD player that can handle PAL-to-NTSC, which most players can. I've tried it on five DVD players and all but one of them played it fine, and the one that couldn't handle it was a very early model (1997-1998 or thereabouts).

Rats

You could rip your dvds and send him some cds in the post, has he got a computer?

Lumiere

As The Fanciful Norwegian pointed out, the BE DVD is region 0.

If your mate ever visited the UK and landed at Gatwick, Luton, Stansted or Heathrow, he could probably pick up the DVD in one of the Impulse shops they have there. They have the BE DVD for £6.99 if I remember correctly. Of course, this idea is laughably stupid and contrived. Palpably inane.

DuncanC

If he's got a computer DVD drive there's no problem at all as far as I can see (if it really is regionless).

Marty McFly

wal mart, circuit city, etc (ie, big american places that sell electronics) will more likely than not have multi region players. my girlfriend lived in the US and had one that played PAL discs, and converted them to NTSC. the quality wasn't what you'd get from a proper PAL conversion, but it was watchable.

cyber home is a good brand, i'm sure there are others. google is your friend..

as for the BE dvd itself.. amazon.co.uk have it used for 7 quid, i think international shipping is 2 or 3 quid or something.

joFFeman

cliff

Thanks for all these excellent suggestions. I will forward them to him and suggest he get a haircut.

easytarget

I got a Toshiba SD-4900 from Best Buy earlier this year (it cost about $90). You can make it play disc from any region by following the instructions here. The hack involves burning a CD and putting it in the player.

So far it's played all* my US, UK and other even more foreign discs without issues.

*TDT episode 3 skips around a bit.

Pinball

Easiest solution would be to play in PC, and, if desired, watch on TV using PC's SVideo and audio outputs. If he's a comedy fan, he has no excuse for not paying the 100 dollars to get a multiregion player though, so he can import stuff. Crikey - how much Friends can a man endure? ;-)