Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frankie Boyle has a dig at Chris Morris (amongst others)

Started by Danger Man, August 24, 2014, 12:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Tomorrows headline:

LOWRY RINSES PICASSO FOR NOT BEING ABLE TO PAINT PROPERLY.

Boyle is a cunt...

...says his dad

ajsmith

Trama Trama Trama Trama Trama Comedian, you made bad show, you made bad show.
Show would have been funny if your gags were like Mock the Week, pointed and brief, pointed and brief.

I like him a lot actually, just wanted to exorcise that terrible parody on a relevant forum.

Artemis

Whether you think it's a fair point depends on your understanding of what Brass Eye was doing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: checkoutgirl
And whoever said that The Daily Show is unwatchable toothless drivel is largely right.

Neither toothless nor drivel. What amazing satirical shows are you watching that put The Daily Show on that level?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/finally-jon-stewart-gives-betsy-mccaughey-a-polite-but-devastating-smackdown-on-the-daily-show/
(ignore the typically clickbait wording)

Jamie Oliver is fat

Fair comments on the state of TV comedy, but in this day and age, who cares?

You can showcase your talents to millions for, essentially, no money at all in terms of the broadcasting of the material

Sure, there's a lot of stuff out there and it will be difficult to be heard, but for someone as well known as Boyle he already has the reputation and money to shoot material and get people interested in a Youtube channel or whatever

There's plenty of ways that it could be monetised after that, i.e. going on tour, sponsorship like Morning Matters, etc....

I'm sure I'm being naive but I'm surprised more "non-mainstream" comedians aren't making web shows rather than infinite fucking podcasts.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 16, 2014, 09:21:46 AM
Neither toothless nor drivel. What amazing satirical shows are you watching that put The Daily Show on that level?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/finally-jon-stewart-gives-betsy-mccaughey-a-polite-but-devastating-smackdown-on-the-daily-show/

QuoteSorry but this video is unavailable in your location.

newbridge

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 16, 2014, 09:21:46 AM

Another easy target that 99% of his audience already knows is a looney tune. What's the point?

Jumble Cashback

With regard to people saying Boyle is not funny - the last two times I did stand-up in Glasgow, I was on directly after Boyle and his material and delivery were exceptionally good.  The jokes were very well thought out and there were no undeserving targets or cheap shots.  I can't speak for all his previous work, but he is , at this point in time, an excellent stand-up.  I was worried that he'd be an impossible act to follow, but I think the audience were so buoyed by his performance that they were actually even more receptive and positive than normal.  He's not exactly a social creature in the green room, but I think this may just be concentration. 

Noodle Lizard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9rZAchZg4

Here's a (significantly more fat bloke-esque) Frankie Boyle doing stand-up a couple of months ago, at some Referendum event.  He seems to have eased up on the easy shock gags.  Not great, but not bad either!

up_the_hampipe

His comedy was always better when it was his dark pessimistic view of the world instead of just reading Sickipedia jokes aloud.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jumble Cashback on October 05, 2014, 09:32:15 PM
With regard to people saying Boyle is not funny ...

Although it was certainly interesting to read what you said, that isn't an accusation that I feel has been reflected in this thread – and I think only one person as actually said it.

When Tramadol Nights has been criticised, for instance, it's been on the grounds because it was rubbish (and why), rather than Boyle is inherently unfunny. Petey Pate commented that whilst not a Boyle fan, they were very disappointed in the series because of an expectation that Boyle was capable of much– others have said much the same.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 15, 2014, 04:14:42 PM
His comedy was always better when it was his dark pessimistic view of the world instead of just reading Sickipedia jokes aloud.

Many would certainly agree with that.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 15, 2014, 04:07:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV9rZAchZg4

Here's a (significantly more fat bloke-esque) Frankie Boyle doing stand-up a couple of months ago, at some Referendum event.  He seems to have eased up on the easy shock gags.  Not great, but not bad either!

His recent iPlayer only 'Post Referendum Autopsy' show was pretty good. If he did a regular show in a similar format he might actually realise his potential.

Hangthebuggers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRz9RPlsDQ

I'm a fan of Frankie Boyle. I kind of see him in the same way I see Morris. Both of them are probably nice, intelligent guys, but on stage or on television, they portray themselves as the opposite. Some sort of destructive alter-ego that highlights our fears.

I'm not sure about Boyle saying satire is dead though, especially with Morris's work. Morris was the 90's game changer in some ways, so I can't see why Boyle would say it was just 'picking on celebs'. Kind of misses the point somewhat. I'm not sure?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on October 15, 2014, 06:03:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MRz9RPlsDQ

Osman is challenging and disagreeing with almost all of Boyle's points while trying to remain friendly, it's quite an uncomfortable balancing act he's doing there.

Danger Man

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 15, 2014, 07:39:36 PM
Boyle is challenging and disagreeing with almost all of Osman's points while trying to remain friendly, it's quite an uncomfortable balancing act he's doing there.

Fixed.

Noodle Lizard

Richard Osman is a twat.  Typical, condescending, media scumbag, but even worse because usually they at least have the decency to stay behind the scenes.  Why is he telling a comedian what an acceptable joke is?

P.S. Cool blazer/T-shirt combo, dickhead!

Pseudopath

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 17, 2014, 01:47:29 AM
Richard Osman is a twat.  Typical, condescending, media scumbag, but even worse because usually they at least have the decency to stay behind the scenes.  Why is he telling a comedian what an acceptable joke is?

Hey - don't underestimate his comedic instincts. He was, after all, the executive producer of 8 Out Of 10 Cats and 10 O'Clock Live, script editor for Total Wipeout and co-creator of Bromwell High.

What a resumé.

checkoutgirl

If it was feasible for me to poo on 8 Out of 10 Cats I would do so without hesitation.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Richard Osman, fucking hell. A company man through and through.

Buttress

Gotta say that Boyle interview has warmed me a little to him, if only his output was as genuine as he seemed here..

Nobody Soup

frankie boyle's kinda won me over a bit recently, I used to loathe him (I changed my hairdresser because he was always talking about him) but ever since someone recommended following his twitter I've seemed to like him a lot more.

I think I kind of agree with some of what he's saying about satire, certainly it is kind of interesting that given the absolute shite that gets printed by the daily mail/telegraph or some of the unbelievable shittyness perpetrated by the government why isn't their satires being made about that? it's one of the key reasons we've seen UKIP rise, they media has been complicit in giving them a fair chance to speak in mainstream formats but also seemingly neutered when it comes to actually analysing them in a similar fashion.

I think though he doesn't get off the hook, his twitter is definitely one of the better ones for satirical comment but I have watched some of his stuff a bit more in the last few months and there was things like his referendum breakdown and it was a bit meh, gags for gags sakes and not exactly the most hard hitting stuff when your given such a significant political event to draw upon.

Noodle Lizard

I really don't know what problem he has transferring his well-spoken, mostly well-thought out opinions into comedy.  We all know he can come up with really good jokes, still one of the funniest panel show comics I know of, but even when given something entirely politically-themed like that referendum thing you just get dull shit.  It didn't help that his guests were terrible, mind you:  Sarah Pascoe has never been funny and Katherine Ryan, who definitely can be funny, seemed jetlagged or just out of her element.