Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scenes in non-horror films that gave you the willies

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 30, 2014, 01:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

This scene from Peter Jackson's King Kong really gave me the oogly-booglies. I hate insects. There's no big orchestral music, it's just quiet, which makes it more creepy. If someone were to put my worst nightmare into one scene, this would be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTWYQhTT388

What about you?

Black Ship

Get this in before someone else does:

The Boat Trip from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"

http://youtu.be/8X48RiKQmFQ

Moribunderast

Return To Oz. The first ten minutes in the asylum or whatever it was scared the shit out of my as a little one. And then there's these fucks. That is NOT for kids.

Noodle Lizard

Most scenes which actually scare me tend not to be in straight-up horror movies - probably because they're less expected and usually don't follow the same tropes as horror movies do (musical stings etc.).  One of my earliest recollections of this is this scene from 'Papillon' which creeped the fuck out of me as a kid, and still does re-watching it now:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQk-7AdDcV4

Ugh.

Puce Moment

I found all of Michael Palin scenes in Brazil to be truly disturbing - probably the way it normalises State sanctioned torture. Even though it is done in a satirical and light-hearted way, it really gets under my skin.

The way that you can see the screams being typed out, or Palin's need to put that weird vibrating thing on his head.

That bit in Superman III where the woman gets pulled into a giant machine and turned into a robot. I've seen others cite this as a major childhood pants-shitter too.

Van Dammage

I saw Ghosts Of The Civil dead a while ago and the overall tone of that film always creeped me out. Nick Cave was amazing in that. Haven't seen it in years though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FczADmXJITU

Sivead

Superman III robot too and similar childhood sleepless nights from them sodding evil dolls in Barbarella and the sadistic kids too, I was terrified of dolls anyway as a kid so that scene was a nope. 

Steven

That bit in Rambo: First Blood where he's swimming around in those tiny caves with a torch made out of a stick, really claustrophobic and what if the torch went out and you were just left in the dark? Just brings to mind those people who go 'caving' in really cramped narrow passages that are flooded and labyrinthine, getting stuck or trapped and just the feeling of the walls all pushing in on you creep me the fuck out.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Steven on August 30, 2014, 03:46:59 PM
That bit in Rambo: First Blood where he's swimming around in those tiny caves with a torch made out of a stick, really claustrophobic and what if the torch went out and you were just left in the dark? Just brings to mind those people who go 'caving' in really cramped narrow passages that are flooded and labyrinthine, getting stuck or trapped and just the feeling of the walls all pushing in on you creep me the fuck out.

Be careful not to get trapped in a hole, I reckon.  Freak ya right out!

Also avoid 'The Descent' and 'The Borderlands'.

Serge

The kid being turned into a donkey in 'Pinocchio'. The lead up to it is pretty creepy, as you see Jiminy Cricket realise where the all donkeys are coming from, but the actual transformation scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. And somebody's put it on Youtube (surprised Disney haven't been all over that). The section from 2.10 onwards in that clip, played out in silhouette, is fucking horrible: "Mama! MAMAAAA!"

Steven

Holy arse, yes the Pinnochio scene is an obvious one. A lot of strangely surreal horrifying moments in early Disney stuff like the Dancing Pink Elephants scene in Dumbo and I think they did a similar scene in Winnie The Pooh, and there was the cartoon with Donald Duck building a plane which starts to melt as he's flying I always found scary.

Also a lot of the old Felischer stuff I used to get on videos as a kid and were similarly fucked up. I kind of love all that early surrealism, it mixes weird hinterland imaginings with sex and death all perceived through this lens of childhood, as being made to watch this kind of stuff as kids, but I think most early cartoons were actually aimed at adults.

olliebean

The bit in The Meaning Of Life where the fellow with the long arms goes on about his fish.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Johnny Five getting smashed up in Short Circuit 2.

mothman

There's a delirium/dream sequence in Papillon that terrified me as a child.

DangledTeeth

I found a scene in Airplane scary as a kid; it was a brief scene where a pilot replaces himself by leaving a mound of jelly that's been dressed up in uniform. I can't help but think I've remembered some of it incorrectly.

Phil_A

Quote from: jonno on August 30, 2014, 04:26:39 PM
This bit from O Lucky Man...

http://youtu.be/-oL7XP0ROvk?t=1m35s

That's just reminded me of another animal/human hybrid scene, from Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ah2mwo1oM

Utterly weird and inexplicable, although why they felt the need to put comedy banjo music over that bit I'm not quite sure.

Steven

Quote from: Phil_A on August 30, 2014, 09:21:22 PM
Utterly weird and inexplicable, although why they felt the need to put comedy banjo music over that bit I'm not quite sure.

Quote from: Yotube Comments
David Maclean1 year agoin reply to Brandon Hardesty

There was a scene earlier on when the banjo guy was sleeping next to his dog and the pod next to them was kicked and damaged thus causing there DNA to mix.Very disturbing to say the least.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 30, 2014, 01:21:39 AM
This scene from Peter Jackson's King Kong really gave me the oogly-booglies. I hate insects. There's no big orchestral music, it's just quiet, which makes it more creepy. If someone were to put my worst nightmare into one scene, this would be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTWYQhTT388

What about you?

Christ yes! Horrendous scene! See the opening of The Mummy(1999) too. Buried alive and covered with life sustaining flesh eating beetles. A family film ? Fuck off.

Hangthebuggers

Some of the scenes in the first Indian Jones were unsettling. Not just the exploding / melting faces but the snake slithering out of the skull. Or maybe the big Nazi bloke chopped apart by the propeller.

Also temple of doom. The snake eating scene, the heart ripping scene or when he's forced to drink that madness drink.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 30, 2014, 10:32:51 PM
Christ yes! Horrendous scene! See the opening of The Mummy(1999) too. Buried alive and covered with life sustaining flesh eating beetles. A family film ? Fuck off.

'The Mummy' (1999) is a horrory film so it doesn't count, but those bits where he sucks the life out of people leaving them all green and mangled shit me up a bit as a kid.  Still surprised it was only a '12', though I guess 'Harry Potter' and 'Lord Of The Rings' pushed those boundaries a little further.

I still quite like the 1999 'Mummy', yeah.  I reckon it's quite good.

Subtle Mocking

I'll remind everybody that Watership Down was rated U, despite it being horrific in a number of places. I'll nominate the scene with the rabbit warren being gassed, described in harrowing detail by Holly.

Puce Moment

The part in The Wild Geese when Roger Moore makes that playboy fella eat a whole bag of heroin (although it is white, so maybe it is coke?). Anyway, as a young boy I found this far more disturbing than anything in horror films. It is so sadistic and ghastly.

Subtle Mocking

I still haven't watched Inland Empire because of that scene. I know what it is without even clicking on it.