Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scenes in non-horror films that gave you the willies

Started by up_the_hampipe, August 30, 2014, 01:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DangledTeeth

I felt that the whole of Scum was a harrowing film. And when I say 'whole', I mean 'half of what I saw' - and that was sufficient.

pigamus

Thomas

I watched RoboCop (1987) for the first time last night - didn't realise it was so
Spoiler alert
bloody
[close]

Spoiler alert
Post-toxic waste Emil ambling around before pranging the car bonnet
[close]
was amazing, all
Spoiler alert
drooping loose finger skin and blossomed pink eyeball
[close]

Spoiler tags there for anybody even later than me to the RoboCop party.

Brundle-Fly

This clip gives me the willies and I bought the DVD on the strength of it. The rest of the film is a real struggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqi5F5MqqTQ

Puce Moment

I remember being freaked out by one scene in shite film The Forgotten, a film I went to see without seeing any trailers or publicity. Basically Julianne Moore's kid goes missing. OK, that's fair enough. Maybe someone is going to send her a ransom note, or maybe it is a Maddie situation. Either way, I imagine someone has her and there is a relatively innocent explanation. Like Mel Gibson in Ransom, she might have to find money or outsmart the kidnappers. Something like that. Except nobody knows about her son, and you start to think she might be imagining it.

Then this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArcjvWTwWXw

monkfromhavana

The bit in Die Hard when Bruce Willis is crawling through the airvents. That always makes me squirm a little bit.

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Van Dammage on August 30, 2014, 03:18:21 PM
I saw Ghosts Of The Civil dead a while ago and the overall tone of that film always creeped me out. Nick Cave was amazing in that. Haven't seen it in years though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FczADmXJITU

Superb film. I have to work up to watching this as it is violently claustrophobic throughout. 

Glebe

Great topic... most stuff that always put the willies up me (missus) concerned extra-terrestrial encounters and such, couldn't watch the end of Close Encounters properly for years... I remember watching The Man Who Fell to Earth with a friend a few years back, the scene where he takes out his contact lenses gave me a jolt[nb]It's so scary that it makes Bowie's girlfriend do a wee.[/nb] - it was one of those things I think I vaguely recall seeing as a nipper, as is the pod garden scene in the 1978 Invasion of the Bodysnatchers[nb]which, to be fair, is a kind of science fiction horror.[/nb]... then of course there's Whitley Strieber (ahem) 'true life story' Communion.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 30, 2014, 01:21:39 AMThis scene from Peter Jackson's King Kong really gave me the oogly-booglies. I hate insects. There's no big orchestral music, it's just quiet, which makes it more creepy. If someone were to put my worst nightmare into one scene, this would be it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTWYQhTT388

PJ is a total arachnophobe and apparently encouraged the production team on The Lord of the Rings to freak him out with their work on giant spider Shelob, said scene in Kong and the spiders in Desolation of Smaug brought out the masochist in him again... must have been a nightmare for him growing up with those weta thingies.

Serge

Quote from: Glebe on September 11, 2014, 12:24:07 PM
Great topic... most stuff that always put the willies up me (missus) concerned extra-terrestrial encounters and such, couldn't watch the end of Close Encounters properly for years...

Yeah, I had the same problem - the aliens scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. Although I've now watched the film approximately 400 times, they still give me the creeps. (My second CE3K-related post today!)

Quoteit was one of those things I think I vaguely recall seeing as a nipper, as is the pod garden scene in the 1978 Invasion of the Bodysnatchers

It's already been mentioned in this thread, but the dog/man hybrid in that film seriously creeped me out, too.