Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Faith No More Album!

Started by Shaky, September 03, 2014, 03:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I bloody love Faith No More and, even though I suspected something was on its way after the 3 new songs they've played live, this confirmation has given me a tiny erection.
Or, as I call it, an erection.

Noodle Lizard

Sort of known it was coming for a while, but I'm well 'appy.  Let's hope they kick some shape into modern rock again.

Vodka Margarine

Great news. Metal is not a genre I have huge amount of time for generally, but I've always had a soft spot for the 'More - inventive and a bit strange.

non capisco

Yassssss!!!!! Love a bit of FNM! Let's another Angel Dust or King For A Day. Always thought Album Of The Year was too much of a damp squib to bow out on.

Shaky

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 03, 2014, 08:04:23 AM
I bloody love Faith No More and, even though I suspected something was on its way after the 3 new songs they've played live, this confirmation has given me a tiny erection.
Or, as I call it, an erection.

I'll see your erection and raise you TWO erections with extra testes.

It is indeed expected but excellent news. I think they've got the timing just about right with this as well, not like the bloody Pixies...

Quote from: non capisco on September 03, 2014, 01:45:51 PM
Yassssss!!!!! Love a bit of FNM! Let's another Angel Dust or King For A Day. Always thought Album Of The Year was too much of a damp squib to bow out on.

The first half of AOTY is great, I think (Helpless is a fucking cracker of a tune), but it tails off pretty badly.

DrGreggles

Pristina was a great final track on it though.

small_world

Mark me down as someone who always loved their music.
No idea why, but my parents had a copy of Angel Dust - even though they like very light 70s rock at the most severe....

Now I know a lot more about them and especially Mike Patton, I can't fucking wait for this.

non capisco

Quote from: small_world on September 03, 2014, 02:26:05 PM
No idea why, but my parents had a copy of Angel Dust - even though they like very light 70s rock at the most severe....

Bought it for the Commodores cover maybe?

Much as I love the giddy fuck out of Mike Patton and his merry men, I can't believe they're still trotting out 'Easy' live. I guess they must just really enjoy playing it.

Shaky

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 03, 2014, 02:23:38 PM
Pristina was a great final track on it though.

That is a good standalone track admittedly but the three or four songs before are very meh.

What did you chaps think of the three new(ish) songs, then? Matador & Motherfucker certainly bode well, I think - Patton's live vocals on the former are insanely good and "'Fucker" is a particular bastard of an earworm.

non capisco

Matador's a belter, love the way it builds and as you say Patton sounds incredible on the live versions.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shaky on September 03, 2014, 02:40:51 PM
That is a good standalone track admittedly but the three or four songs before are very meh.

What did you chaps think of the three new(ish) songs, then? Matador & Motherfucker certainly bode well, I think - Patton's live vocals on the former are insanely good and "'Fucker" is a particular bastard of an earworm.

I haven't heard good enough audio of Motherfucker yet.  Matador's okay.

small_world

Quote from: non capisco on September 03, 2014, 02:31:00 PM
Bought it for the Commodores cover maybe?

Much as I love the giddy fuck out of Mike Patton and his merry men, I can't believe they're still trotting out 'Easy' live. I guess they must just really enjoy playing it.

Nah, it's not on there. Well, not on the copy we had anyway.
I think there were a few tracks they'd skip, but they used to have it in their car and my dad would always play Everything's Ruined. Ha, then tell me that Gun's and Roses were crap and 'it's just too heavy'.
#Parents

Yeah, I'm sure Easy is a great song to play live. I'd love to be in a band where you can play a good diverse range of stuff and your fans just get on with it.

Rev

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on September 03, 2014, 01:02:28 PM
Great news. Metal is not a genre I have huge amount of time for generally, but I've always had a soft spot for the 'More - inventive and a bit strange.

Were they ever really metal, at least once they'd started releasing records?  There's this sub-category of metal-by-association that I'd sling Cop Shoot Cop into too.  I don't know how to classify either of them.  Lovely news about this anyway - they're one of the few bands I can imagine releasing a new album after such a gap and it standing up to their best stuff.

Vodka Margarine

Yeah, it's metal-by-association. It never sits right thinking of them as metal, yet that seems to be the genre with which they're most commonly associated. They would all too frequently get mentioned in the same breath as G'n'R but other than the Axl-esque falsetto of the earlier output, I can't see any similarity.

Did they ever influence any bands worth listening to? I always thought nu-metal was a bunch of dicks who listened to some FNM records and completely missed the point.

CaledonianGonzo

FNM fans may not like this - and there are plenty of examples in their discography to the contrary - but they weren't so much metal as funk-metal - and thusly their contemporaries were folk like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers (at the worst) and Jane's Addiction (at the best).

Maybe rap-metal as well.  Epic certainly stands out as one of the first / biggest / best examples of it that I can remember hearing.

Quite by chance A Small Victory came up on shuffle on my iPod last night.  I didn't even realise it was on there.

Shaky

I'd say that any of the albums with Jim Martin on them could at least be partly labelled "metal" just because that was all he could really play or was interested in playing. When his role was reduced on Angel Dust, and he left the band entirely, that sort of unreconstructed 70s/80s riffing/soloing style seemed to take much more of a back seat.

I don't really think of KFAD or AOTY as metal at all, actually, even though there are some clear nods to the past on there.

Noodle Lizard

I've always considered them alternative rock, at least in their post-The Real Thing output.  They're a bit like Ween, it's not wise to attach any one genre to them because they'll definitely have done the opposite at one point or another.  "Alt-rock" has such horrible connotations, though.

Luckily genre doesn't matter :)

glitch

Really, really looking forward to the JG Thirlwell remix that's promised on the single.

Shaky

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 04, 2014, 12:06:41 PM
I've always considered them alternative rock, at least in their post-The Real Thing output.  They're a bit like Ween, it's not wise to attach any one genre to them because they'll definitely have done the opposite at one point or another.  "Alt-rock" has such horrible connotations, though.

Luckily genre doesn't matter :)

Tis all true.

New FNM is currently neck and neck with the birth of my second child in the "things I'm rather looking forward to in November" stakes. Luckily, there's this serendipitous mash-up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUUmCi6svk4

An idea that's possibly getting as ubiquitous as ukelele playing now, though...

Noodle Lizard

They fucked up by not having a single ready to go along with this news, I reckon.  By the time that hits in late November, I reckon the momentum will have died a bit, even moreso by the time the actual album gets released.  This isn't the early 90s anymore, lads, people get distracted!

B minus.

Repeater

yep, who gives a shit without a single

Shaky

Quote from: Stone Cold Jane Austen on November 19, 2014, 08:00:02 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-faith-no-more-first-release-in-17-years-motherfucker-20141119

I like it

Ooooh, thanks for the heads up. Made my day, that has. The track seems to be dividing opinion, with some metal loving, Big Jim worshipers hating it... but I think it's rather good. Familiar but with a twist. I've read a few complaints that the lyrics aren't great, but since when was that a key component of FNM?!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Who's that doing the spoken bit on the verses? That made me a bit unsure at first, but then Patton's vocals kicked in and all was as it should be.

Shaky

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 20, 2014, 03:53:31 AM
Who's that doing the spoken bit on the verses? That made me a bit unsure at first, but then Patton's vocals kicked in and all was as it should be.

Roddy.

Big Jack McBastard

Real Thing was mostly ace, a few off Angel Dust only a couple off King for a Day, Ricochet and Just a Man (I'd never even heard of Album of the Year until just now) but really it fell apart after Angel Dust for me.

It's sad but this felt lacking too, not enough drive in it, should have brought in the guitar earlier and developed it a bit. Ok as a taster I suppose but it didn't wow me or owt.

Shaky

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on November 20, 2014, 04:31:08 AM
Real Thing was mostly ace, a few off Angel Dust only a couple off King for a Day, Ricochet and Just a Man (I'd never even heard of Album of the Year until just now) but really it fell apart after Angel Dust for me.

It's sad but this felt lacking too, not enough drive in it, should have brought in the guitar earlier and developed it a bit. Ok as a taster I suppose but it didn't wow me or owt.

Nah, for me Angel Dust & KFAD are both far superior to The Real Thing overall. If you don't like those albums, though, I suppose any new music in the same vein would fall a bit flat. Weirdly, the main melody of Motherfucker does really remind me of Epic's chorus.

I do agree it could maybe do with something a little extra. Better developed outro, perhaps? As a taster it'll definitely do, though. Good to have 'em back.

King For A Day is, in point of fact, their best album by quite a way with Album Of The Year bringing up the real. Then Angel Dust. Then Real Thing. There are no other Faith No More albums.

New song is pretty meh given this is the first release in 16 years - should have come storming out the gates with the 2nd best track from the album. To start with Roddy on vocals is ridiculous given he can barely sing in tune live. Once Patton arrives it at least sounds like Faith No More, but anything Patton touches is gold so that's not really asking that much of him.