Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:20:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Faith No More Album!

Started by Shaky, September 03, 2014, 03:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Quote from: The Region Legion on November 27, 2014, 01:41:32 AM
King For A Day is, in point of fact, their best album by quite a way with Album Of The Year bringing up the real. Then Angel Dust. Then Real Thing. There are no other Faith No More albums.

Mate, you're so close there. The true order is actually this:

1) KFAD;
2) AD;
3) AOTY;
4) TRT;
5) Everything with Chuck Mosley.

Noodle Lizard

I'll side with popular opinion and say Angel Dust is their best album.  KFAD is great, but has a couple of dull tracks I could do without and was overall less ambitious.  Cuckoo For Caca, however, is one of my favourite FNM songs.

I think The Real Thing is being unfairly overlooked here.  Edge Of The World and the title track are among their best songs easily, and songs like Falling To Pieces and Epic (of course) are definitive.  To think the lyrics/vocals to something like Edge Of The World were written by a 19-year-old in a hasty two-week session ... fuck, what a guy.

I don't really care about any of the stuff with Chuck, but Chinese Arithmetic and We Care A Lot are good songs.

colacentral

I don't know how anyone can rank Angel Dust anywhere lower than first. All the other FNM albums are way too cheesy. Angel Dust has its fair share of cheese too, but it's the good kind, like Be Aggressive. Take This Bottle? Bollocks. Best lyrics on Angel Dust too; seems like they gave up caring about the lyrics after that.

I would rank The Real Thing as distant second, Album of the Year as very close third, and King for a Day at rock bottom. The title track and Just a Man are excellent though.

I don't have time for the pre-Real Thing stuff.

Shaky

Quote from: colacentral on November 27, 2014, 11:22:09 AM
I don't know how anyone can rank Angel Dust anywhere lower than first. All the other FNM albums are way too cheesy. Angel Dust has its fair share of cheese too, but it's the good kind, like Be Aggressive. Take This Bottle? Bollocks. Best lyrics on Angel Dust too; seems like they gave up caring about the lyrics after that.

What do you mean by "cheese", though? Their tendency to play around in other genres outside of straight-up rock music? Surely these detours are an integral part of FNM (post-Real Thing anyway).  "Take this Bottle" is a nod to yer bittersweet country ballad, but is it authentic in the traditional songwriter-y, confessional sense? Not really, the band are playing different roles just because they can. I think this playfulness - gleeful self-indulgence or whatever - does piss a lot of listeners off, partly because it's not always clear which version of the band they're going to get each time.

Patton has also admitted that his lyrics are there just to give him something to sing. Angel Dust has some great lines, yeah, but the words to the very first song are cobbled together from fortune cookies and Scientology quotes... it's mostly nonsense sung in a commanding way.

colacentral

I don't know how to define the exact kind of cheesiness I mean, I guess cringeworthy lyrics and music. Covering "Easy" is good cheese, the song "Evidence" is bad cheese. Within the same album, "Just a Man" is good cheese (probably the cheesiest song they ever did, and one of the best,) whilst I find "The Gentle Art of Making Enemies" to be cheesy in a bad way.

I think I probably prefer Mr. Bungle overall so it's not the pastiche of different genres that I mind. To me, Angel Dust is just miles ahead of anything else they did, albeit let down by some horrible production. I know Patton has always said he doesn't care much about the lyrics but I don't think that's really true. He supposedly stayed awake for days and then wrote the lyrics to "Caffeine." The lyrics to "Land of Sunshine", like you said, came from fortune cookie and scientology quotes, which I think is a clever and fun idea. Almost all the other songs are absolute classics - Jizzlobber, Midlife Crisis, Everything's Ruined, Malpractice. I love it. The other albums all have a handful of good to great songs, but a good dose of stinkers too to my mind.

Paaaaul

Their version of Spanish Eyes is delicious on crackers.

Shaky

Quote from: colacentral on November 27, 2014, 01:52:19 PM
I don't know how to define the exact kind of cheesiness I mean, I guess cringeworthy lyrics and music. Covering "Easy" is good cheese, the song "Evidence" is bad cheese. Within the same album, "Just a Man" is good cheese (probably the cheesiest song they ever did, and one of the best,) whilst I find "The Gentle Art of Making Enemies" to be cheesy in a bad way.

I think I probably prefer Mr. Bungle overall so it's not the pastiche of different genres that I mind. To me, Angel Dust is just miles ahead of anything else they did, albeit let down by some horrible production. I know Patton has always said he doesn't care much about the lyrics but I don't think that's really true. He supposedly stayed awake for days and then wrote the lyrics to "Caffeine." The lyrics to "Land of Sunshine", like you said, came from fortune cookie and scientology quotes, which I think is a clever and fun idea. Almost all the other songs are absolute classics - Jizzlobber, Midlife Crisis, Everything's Ruined, Malpractice. I love it. The other albums all have a handful of good to great songs, but a good dose of stinkers too to my mind.

No, that's fair enough - personal preference, innit. "Evidence" is definitely cheesy lounge but it's a good song, to me, so it gets a pass. I just bristle a bit at the fact that some people (not you) seem to be turned off by their non-rock stuff. I read a comment from a ranting metal-head the other day which was along the lines of, "PATTON SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED NEAR THE MUSIC EVER AGAIN. HE SHOULD ONLY SING WHAT HE'S TOLD TO SING AND NOTHING ELSE!" The insinuation being that he'd somehow steered the band away from it's "true" roots and into the murky netherworld of the avant-garde or something, when that's not really true.

I just love the variation in KFAD. "Just a Man" is incredible, while angry songs like "Gentle Art" and "Cuckoo for Caca" are ridiculous but great fun.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: colacentral on November 27, 2014, 11:22:09 AM

I would rank The Real Thing as distant second, Album of the Year as very close third, and King for a Day at rock bottom. The title track and Just a Man are excellent though.

Oddly enough, I think Just A Man is the most cheesy song on King For A Day.  Good though, and one of their best live songs (because it's usually when Patton decides to do "antics" like this:

)

C'mon, you've got Cuckoo For Caca, Ugly In The Morning, Gentle Art Of Making Enemies, Star AD, Evidence ... it's a good album!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shaky on November 28, 2014, 02:38:30 AMThe insinuation being that he'd somehow steered the band away from it's "true" roots and into the murky netherworld of the avant-garde or something, when that's not really true.

This criticism boggles my mind.  FNM became exponentially more commercially popular once Mike joined and the attitude among their original fanbase at the time was that Mike made them "poppy".  Plus, compare KFAD to Disco Volante or one of those solo albums he was doing at the same time - he certainly knew how to keep the two separate.  And KFAD is far more traditional than Angel Dust in many ways.

Basically, fans are idiots.

Big Jack McBastard

Right, nabbed the lot and here's my merciless appraisal of them, I preface this with "I am a terribly picky fuck with music and if something doesn't hook me it might as well be poison in my ears" with that in mind:

We Care a Lot was the only good one off the first two.

Then

The Real Thing:
The first 13 and a half minutes of TRT is solid awesome, shits the bed with Surprise You're Dead and Zombie Eaters, claws back a little with the title track (too drawn out at 8 mins though) then pops its head back into full on awesome with Underwater Love which has echoes of Epic and Falling to Pieces and is a nice counterpoint track reinvigorating the back end of the album, Morning After is solid enough. Woodpecker and War Pigs are missable and Edge of the World is of course fucking brilliant.

8.5 out of 10 and their best overall. 6 good tunes. 5 of which are absolute belters.

Angel Dust:
Land of Sunshine is shonky, Caffeine is meh, Midlife Crisis and RV are awesome, Smaller and Smaller feels overwrought and not terribly memorable. Everything's Ruined has bits of A Small Victory which is no bad thing but it's not usually one I'll let get to the end before I cycle it on. Malpractice is too much shouty discordance, it's like what the Adams Family would have on their jukebox, Kindergarten bores me, Be Aggressive is like We Care a Lot revisited but not as memorable. A Small Victory is a breath of fresh awesome, I can do without the rest.

Slightly better than I remembered 6.5/10. 4 and a half good tunes, of them 3 blinders.

King For a Day:
Get Out, whateves. Ricochet like it, has some meat and *almost* feels like they've got it all back for a minute, it's sooo close. Evidence... eeeeh I kinda like it, but it's too much really and it leads the way into a pit of uncatchy shouty/drawn out meh which I can't suffer through, Star AD almost makes it, Digging The Grave reminds me of and uses practically the same hook as Stigmata by Ministry. Anyway I gave them all a go, did not want, left me flat. The tat only ends with the last track which is both cheesy gospel and unexpectedly great.

Sadly just as disappointing as I recall (soz fanboiz) 3/10. 3 passable, of them 2 good tracks 1 very good

Album of the Year: (First listen of this!)
Collision, hmm, s'ok I suppose. Stripsearch, plods boringly on. Last Cup of Sorrow, kind of but lacking. Naked in Front of the Computer, meh. Helpless, boring. Mouth to Mouth, a weird mess. Ashes to Ashes, finally something passable (echoes of Midlife Crisis and Just a Man), nice to hear some balls back in there, Huzzah! one more in the 'Yes' folder. She Loves Me Not, didn't grab me. Got that Feeling, nah. Paths of Glory, nope. Home Sick Home, sounds like the backing music was recorded backwards or something.. another no. Pristina, snooze.

Sadly as disappointing as touted. 2/10. 1 kind of passable, 1 pretty decent

So overall for me they were thin at the start, fat in the middle, then tapered out into 'Oh well' territory.

Didn't realise Patton did the voice of the The Darkness in the game of the same name, makes sense now I think on it.

So I'm not getting my hopes up but I hope for one or two.

Big Jack McBastard

With regards Motherfucker, it does set a small fire, 55 seconds of glory from 1:55 to 2:50. There's hope yet.

Noodle Lizard

Well, we all fucked up by not being at Amoeba Records in San Francisco today:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHa3-8LMJPk

EDIT:  Oh and by the way, Fantomas are soon to start playing shows again.  I smell an album!

Shaky

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 28, 2014, 05:59:47 AM
This criticism boggles my mind.  FNM became exponentially more commercially popular once Mike joined and the attitude among their original fanbase at the time was that Mike made them "poppy".  Plus, compare KFAD to Disco Volante or one of those solo albums he was doing at the same time - he certainly knew how to keep the two separate.  And KFAD is far more traditional than Angel Dust in many ways.

Basically, fans are idiots.

The addition of Patton and the loss of big hard metal guy/Bill & Ted star Jim Martin has never been forgiven by certain fans. I've never gone along with that, as Jimmy-boy had a pretty limited palate and MP's exponentially better than Chuck... but you know what people can be like when something - anything - changes, even if arguably it's for the better.

QuoteOh and by the way, Fantomas are soon to start playing shows again.  I smell an album!

Yeah... recently saw something about a new live show. I'd love it if they went ahead with that all-electronic album Patton was talking about a few years ago, too.

And Big Jack McBastard... while you generally seem like a very sound chap, your opinions on these matters are utter, utter titty! Good day to you!

Noodle Lizard

Oooo someone really just came through for me and scored me 4 tickets to one of the sold-out LA shows.  If any of the two or three LA-dwelling Cabbers want to go, the tickets are free (although I'm using at least two of them).

Hypodeemic Nerdle

I prefer Introduce Yourself to those last two albums.

That's it.

Noodle Lizard

The new album has a name, by the way:  SOL INVICTUS.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/faith-no-more-confirm-may-release-for-new-album-sol-invictus-20150210

Bill Gould says they're "coming back to where they were with their first album".  I don't know which album they're referring to specifically, there.  The Real Thing or We Care A Lot. 

Milverton

The last time I was in Liverpuuuuuul it was to a soundtrack of FNMs Ashes To Ashes, Trash by Suede, Nick Cave's Brompton Oratory and Summer's In Bloom by Reef.

Shaky

Quote from: Hypodeemic Nerdle on February 10, 2015, 09:34:03 PM
I prefer Introduce Yourself to those last two albums.

I'm sure I've seen most of those words before somewhere but that sentence makes no sense.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 10, 2015, 07:56:23 PM
Oooo someone really just came through for me and scored me 4 tickets to one of the sold-out LA shows.  If any of the two or three LA-dwelling Cabbers want to go, the tickets are free (although I'm using at least two of them).

UPDATE: No sooner than I was thanking my lucky stars I managed to get tickets, this happens:

Well, can't complain I suppose.  I just feel sorry for the people who already paid up to $300 for a scalper ticket.

Shaky

They've just played another new one in Tokyo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTlk5tvE44

Muddy sound does it no favours, but I like what I can make out.... Tomahawk-esque with a bit of a Morricone twang.

Dirty Boy

I keep thinking of Tomahawk too, not that i dislike THawk (although their last record was fairly tedious). Just high expectations i guess. I still wouldn't hesitate to see them live.

I really like Matador, but the other ones leave me a bit cold really and i seem to be one of the few that likes Album Of The Year and it's more streamlined sound.. Hopefully there's some curveballs on the album when it arrives.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 19, 2015, 02:08:35 PM
I really like Matador

Me too. Best of the new ones I've heard anyway.
But then I've only heard 3.
And I like them all.

Shaky

Shaky

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 02, 2015, 12:04:40 AM
I think that might just be fucking awesome.

It is, isn't it? The fact that some parts sounded instantly familiar while others made me go, "Holy Shit! Not sure about that yet," bodes well for the album, I think.

Speaking of which, promo copies of Sol Invictus are being sent out already so it may - ahem - "appear" sooner rather than later...

Dirty Boy

I like it a lot more than i thought i would given the live recordings of it that i've listened to. It's a waaay better track than MF was (i can only assume they released that first as a "fuck you" to radio programmers). Drums sound a bit flat, but otherwise very nice thanks.
New interview with Bill

This has got me watching old clips again. Check out this insane version of the Crab Song (skip to about 4 minutes in for the impatient).

McFlymo

I am very excited about the new album, although I'm trying to remind myself not to get my hopes up.

The Real Thing was the first album I bought at 10 years old. Played that tape until it melted.

FNM were the first band I saw live when I was 12 (I was nearly crushed to death... It was awesome!)

Then Angel Dust changed everything. I was too young to have the opinion of "this is odd / difficult / hard to listen to" I just accepted it with childish innocence and trust. But in hindsight, it is definitely their best album. And one of my favourites of all time. It's just the right mix of all the things I loved about that period of 90s introspective, "darker", maybe more experimental pop/rock music. Every song a total gem. Over the years my favourites have changed, but I can listen to the whole thing in my head from start to finish at any given moment. Love it.

KFAD was a bit of a disappointing follow up for me. It took me a while to accept that there was so little going on in many of the songs. Whereas Angel Dust was so dense and packed, KFAD almost felt like a live rehearsal room recording (I think that was partly due to Andy Wallace's production though, he tends to go for simplicity and clarity and punch over "layers"), but it definitely grew on me. It has some filler tracks, (Take This Bottle, Caralho Voador, What A Day) and it has some OK tracks that I wasn't blown away by (Ricochet, Evidence, Digging The Grave), but loads of excellent moments, creative riffage, great lyrics, etc.

AOTY, I was 17 at this point and really kind of bored with heavy metal and heavy rock and far more interested in electronic music and more leftfield stuff at this stage, so AOTY felt really out of step and a bit of a let down. Still, it has a special place in my heart, just because of the memories attached to listening to it at home etc. Pristina is an excellent closer. It seemed sort of obvious they were going to split around that time though, I remember then cancelling their UK tour and re-listening to Pristina and thinking "oh... I have a feeling this is it" and a couple of months later it was.

The new stuff then:

I'm not digging Matador at all really.
Motherfucker. Nyyyeaaa... It's ok... I don't know. I can't help thinking Patton is just taking the piss, considering the tonnes of other more interesting projects he's involved in.

Superhero I like a fair bit. Although the production seems a bit sloppy (those vocal layers seem a bit rushed). My feelings towards this track remind me how I felt in 1995 when Digging The Grave or Evidence were released as singles: I was a bit disappointed but willing to give it a few listens and with hold final judgement until hearing it in context of the rest of the album.

I got to see them live in Dublin about 4 years ago and it was so much fun. I really hope they make it to Ireland after the new album drops and they do their touring thang.

In related news, has anyone heard "tetema - Geocidal" (an album by Patton and Anthony Pateras) - it's got to be one of the most amazing pieces of music I've heard in a long, long time. It's almost how I wanted the follow up to Angel Dust to sound! Even more layers and more experimentalism... (It's nothing like Faith No More by the way).

McFlymo

Quote from: Shaky on February 19, 2015, 10:09:04 AM
They've just played another new one in Tokyo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTlk5tvE44

Muddy sound does it no favours, but I like what I can make out.... Tomahawk-esque with a bit of a Morricone twang.

Hmm yes. I'm liking this.

Shaky

Quote from: McFlymo on March 02, 2015, 03:25:39 PM
In related news, has anyone heard "tetema - Geocidal" (an album by Patton and Anthony Pateras) - it's got to be one of the most amazing pieces of music I've heard in a long, long time. It's almost how I wanted the follow up to Angel Dust to sound! Even more layers and more experimentalism... (It's nothing like Faith No More by the way).

Keep meaning to give this a proper go; the two tracks I have heard were intriguing but I probably wasn't quite in the right mood at the time.

McFlymo

Quote from: Shaky on March 03, 2015, 03:20:34 AM
Keep meaning to give this a proper go; the two tracks I have heard were intriguing but I probably wasn't quite in the right mood at the time.

I had a similar experience with it: Heard a couple of preview moments one night and wasn't bowled over, but listened recently (sort of in the context of being ready for more subversive noisier stuff, which I've been exposed to a lot recently) and it clicked for me. Just love the mix of experimental, dissonant stuff, the wide range of instruments and percussion being used, all the different ways they've been recorded and placed in interesting acoustic environments and then the way the whole lot has been processed and chopped up. The energy and aggression in it is quite pleasing. And of course Patton's (always inventive) vocal contributions.