Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Faith No More Album!

Started by Shaky, September 03, 2014, 03:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repeater

Shaky

Quote from: McFlymo on March 07, 2015, 07:19:03 PM
I had a similar experience with it: Heard a couple of preview moments one night and wasn't bowled over, but listened recently (sort of in the context of being ready for more subversive noisier stuff, which I've been exposed to a lot recently) and it clicked for me. Just love the mix of experimental, dissonant stuff, the wide range of instruments and percussion being used, all the different ways they've been recorded and placed in interesting acoustic environments and then the way the whole lot has been processed and chopped up. The energy and aggression in it is quite pleasing. And of course Patton's (always inventive) vocal contributions.

Alrighty then... been listening to Geocidal over the weekend and there's some really good stuff on there, I think. Definitely a few tracks I would go back to and the initial chaos and clutter makes more sense with every listen. I still like a bit o' melody with my noise and there's enough catchiness to keep it going. In fact, I'm humming bits of it now.

If I've got one small complaint it's that Patton is sometimes too overbearing (subtlety not really being his strongest suit). A bit less barking and screeching might have been the order of the day here, or maybe his vocals could have been a little further back in the mix.

McFlymo

Quote from: Shaky on March 09, 2015, 02:58:58 AM
Alrighty then... been listening to Geocidal over the weekend and there's some really good stuff on there, I think. Definitely a few tracks I would go back to and the initial chaos and clutter makes more sense with every listen. I still like a bit o' melody with my noise and there's enough catchiness to keep it going. In fact, I'm humming bits of it now.

If I've got one small complaint it's that Patton is sometimes too overbearing (subtlety not really being his strongest suit). A bit less barking and screeching might have been the order of the day here, or maybe his vocals could have been a little further back in the mix.

I have to agree with you, it feels a bit like he's trying too hard in a couple of places, but otherwise it's a fantastic piece of work.

Dirty Boy

A couple of UK dates now announced

I'm still hoping they'll be more added, seeing as they're doing a full US tour Apr/May. Manchester Academy would be very nice ta (would probably be the Apollo though).

niat

Agreed. They've surely got time between the Glasgow and London dates to pop to Manchester or, dare I dream, Leeds.

Shaky

I sort of hate to be that guy when it involves a band I really love, but Sol Invictus has leaked. Not sure how it hasn't popped up all over the shop yet but it's bound to do so very, very soon.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shaky on April 15, 2015, 04:28:23 AM
I sort of hate to be that guy when it involves a band I really love, but Sol Invictus has leaked. Not sure how it hasn't popped up all over the shop yet but it's bound to do so very, very soon.

*rubs hands*

I'd rather hear it before I see them next week.  Not sure why they decided to start the tour a few months before releasing the album.

Shaky

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 15, 2015, 05:05:43 AM
*rubs hands*

I'd rather hear it before I see them next week.  Not sure why they decided to start the tour a few months before releasing the album.

Yeah, even the band have mentioned this incongruity. I think April 15 is the start of the tour proper (previous gigs being festival shows, one-offs & such), and with SI originally expected to be out this month that would've made more sense.

Repeater

Can someone PM me a link to the leak ya sexy fuckkkkkkkkkkkkin fucks

Rev

Only given it the one listen so far but it seems...  solid, I suppose is the word.  I hate to call it pastiche because it's not quite that, but a lot of influences drop in briefly and then leave again, particularly from film soundtracks; there is a bit of a feeling of flicking through channels late at night to it.  Nothing that we've not heard before really stands out on first listen but nothing stands out as a complete clunker either, which is a first for a Faith No More album - this feels like an album that's been designed rather carefully to be listened to as an album.  It feels right, and I'm expecting it to be a real grower.

1/10

Shaky

Quote from: Rev on April 16, 2015, 12:41:20 AM
Only given it the one listen so far but it seems...  solid, I suppose is the word.  I hate to call it pastiche because it's not quite that, but a lot of influences drop in briefly and then leave again, particularly from film soundtracks; there is a bit of a feeling of flicking through channels late at night to it.  Nothing that we've not heard before really stands out on first listen but nothing stands out as a complete clunker either, which is a first for a Faith No More album - this feels like an album that's been designed rather carefully to be listened to as an album.  It feels right, and I'm expecting it to be a real grower.

1/10

I'd tend to agree. It's a (very?) good album overall, and a handful of songs are really great, but I wouldn't say I love it - yet. Quite a lot of the music has remained lodged in my head all day, though, and favourites are shifting with every listen, so I think that bodes well for it's longevity. Think I'm still processing the fact that there's a new album at all.

The Mariachi influences on several tracks came as a surprise. And bollocks to that "Leprechaun/Lucky Charm" lyric!

7/6

Noodle Lizard

I've not listened to it yet, but I haven't immediately liked any Faith No More album - they've all taken a while to grow on me.  It's still not my favourite Patton project (Bungle, probably) but Christ they have some really, really great songs.

Shaky

The final song on SI gets it's live debut (incorrectly named on the link, though). Luverly vocals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80XxlF6uRsQ

DrGreggles

non capisco

Tried and failed with the Livenation presale this morning but just got tickets for the added Thursday date through the Roundhouse website, who are selling today despite it still saying 'On sale tomorrow 10am' on the front of their site. All a bit cheeky really. The Wednesday looks to be completely sold out already.

Can't wait now though!

Olarrio

I bought a Download ticket a week or two ago to ensure I caught them, but am a bit worried they'll announce another UK date now (more or less between Glasgow-London), which I would undoubtedly attend instead.

Superhero is still growing on me, but growing it is.

Have been playing AOTY tonight and loving it, despite being only being my fourth favourite of theirs.

Repeater

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Repeater on March 07, 2015, 10:08:57 PM
Sounds shite
Changed your mind then?

Edit: unless you were in fact referring to Tetema - Geocidal, in which case i apologise (even though it's actually very good).

I've been avoiding the leaked album so far, but they seem to have played most of it live anyway. I think Cone Of Shame is my favourite so far (at least from the badly recorded youtube songs).

If you read the FNM blog you probably already have seen this, but someone crowd surfed in a wheelchair at the Seattle show and got a fistbump from Mr Patton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85PSfIkkow

Glad I didn't get my hopes up for the album, it's not even bad just there. Utterly pointless (except to make a few quid I suppose). Oh well.

Noodle Lizard

I'm going to see them tomorrow night!  We actually have a spare (free) ticket for any LA-dwellers who fancy going.

The support act looks like good fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnwcDZBOYQ

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 23, 2015, 12:57:41 AM
I'm going to see them tomorrow night! 
Cool. Let us know how the new stuff sounds live.

Noodle Lizard

It was a very good show, probably better than when I saw them in London in 2012 (although the stage set-up and most of the setlist is unchanged, save for the mysterious gimp making a few appearances).

Quote from: setlistMotherfucker
Land of Sunshine
Caffeine
Evidence
Epic
Sunny Side Up
As the Worm Turns
Midlife Crisis
(Lowdown (Boz Scaggs) tease)
Chinese Arithmetic
The Gentle Art of Making Enemies
Easy
Cuckoo for Caca
King for a Day
Ashes to Ashes
Superhero

Encore:
Matador
Ugly in the Morning
We Care a Lot

Encore 2:
From the Dead

Lovely to see Cuckoo For Caca live, as well as a surprising appearance of Chinese Arithmetic (with a touch of "All About That Bass" at the start).  They did an interesting remix towards the end of Midlife Crisis too.

The new songs were all quite good, but you could feel the energy drop a bit whenever they showed up - especially starting and ending on one.  Even though they've released two of them, you can't expect the majority of people in the audience to follow your Facebook/Twitter feeds and know them well enough to respond much.  I really think it'd be better if the album had dropped before this big tour, but I'm sure there were all kinds of reasons why that wasn't the case.

Brian Posehn and (I believe) Nick Kroll were stood behind us for a lot of it.  Not quite as impressive as Danny DeVito at the London show, but worth mentioning.  Oh and I was wrong about the support group, tonight's was actually a 70s punk band called The Urinals who were unremarkable - very much seemed like a pub band who couldn't believe their luck.

Noodle Lizard

Thought this was quite cool, Faith No More on Jimmy Fallon last night:  http://pitchfork.com/news/59572-faith-no-more-perform-easy-and-superhero-on-the-tonight-show/

Superhero is growing on me.  It's a bit repetitive, but it's a good live song.  That "GO go GO go" hook is cool and I like the breakdown.  I'm not convinced this'll be a game-changing album, but fuck if it isn't cool to see a "weird" band I like getting such a mainstream platform again.

Shaky

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 15, 2015, 04:46:48 AM
Thought this was quite cool, Faith No More on Jimmy Fallon last night:  http://pitchfork.com/news/59572-faith-no-more-perform-easy-and-superhero-on-the-tonight-show/

Superhero is growing on me.  It's a bit repetitive, but it's a good live song.  That "GO go GO go" hook is cool and I like the breakdown.  I'm not convinced this'll be a game-changing album, but fuck if it isn't cool to see a "weird" band I like getting such a mainstream platform again.

It's not a game-changer, no, but it is a really great album; concise, it flows well and there are a few tracks on there that rank alongside their best work. That's pretty good going at this stage of their careers, I think.

Re the Fallon appearance, that rendition of Superhero was decent but they also dragged Easy out yet again. The occasional appearance would be fine... but it's on every setlist!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shaky on May 15, 2015, 05:35:38 AMRe the Fallon appearance, that rendition of Superhero was decent but they also dragged Easy out yet again. The occasional appearance would be fine... but it's on every setlist!

Yeah, I'm bored of Easy too.  It does feel like they're kind of going through the motions with it now (as with Epic), and I'm not sure it's a good idea to play a cover of an already-overplayed 70s song from a 23-year-old album when you're trying to promote a new album.  But I'm sure they have their reasons.

I wish they'd play Edge Of The World again.

DrGreggles

Amazon is telling me that my copy of the new album has been dispatched!
I feel a little bit giddy.

Hollow

Fuck!

They went and made a Faith No More album. *tears welling*

Cone of Shame, how good?

My life time favourite band that is.

Dirty Boy

Yeah, Cone Of Shame and Separation Anxiety are the centrepiece of the whole thing. Matador sounds massive.

First listen in and i really like it. It's at least better than Album Of The Year (a good album with a handful of crappy songs). It's weirdly consistent for a FNM album in that all the others sprawl a fair bit and have their erratic moments. Maybe it was the right decision to just get 10 good tunes out. It's not realistic to expect another Jizzlobber or Cuckoo For Caca.

non capisco

Can't stop playing Cone Of Shame and Matador, thoroughly looking forward to seeing those two live. I need to bed in with the album a bit more but it's a lot better than I suspected a reformation joint from a comparatively contented and middle aged Faith No More might turn out like. I mean, Cone Of Shame is as good as anything they've done. I'm maybe missing a sense of viscera that probably came from creative tension and was just living in the bloodstream of songs from Angel Dust and King For A Day but, yeah, largely happy with this.

They must really enjoy playing 'Easy', huh?

DrGreggles

I like it. A lot.
Should work really well live too.