Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate groovy dad anthem

Started by Vodka Margarine, September 05, 2014, 01:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodka Margarine

What are the songs that entirely and unironically bring out the groovy dad in you?

It'll be an upbeat little number but not too rocky. Nice little swing to it. You'll hear it on Radio Steve Wright or in a supermarket and suddenly feel like having a wee bit of a head bob and maybe a muted mumble-along to the limited lyrics you know. Like an ageing man having a little funky moment to himself when he thinks no-one is watching. The song itself will undoubtedly sound a bit like how that looks.

It's Des Lynam not listening to his wife in the car on the way to Cirencester because he's lost in a head noddin' Abracadabra world of his own.

It's Bullseye's Tony Green swaying slightly to Auberge by Chris Rea in a Preston garden centre, half heartedly looking for some hardy conifers.

Do you have a drivetime dance? What compels you to uncomfortably shuffle around a bit like a Miliband in a marquee?

monkfromhavana

Brundle-Fly

Same one as my father grooved to around the kitchen in 1975.

The Hustle --- Van McCoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUfDTn5huM

Neville Chamberlain

On hearing that I was learning to play the guitar, a friend's dad once told me, "If you can't play Hank Marvin, you can't play the guitar."

Words that have stayed with me.

Vodka Margarine

My last one was New Shoes by Paulo Nutini.

Mawkish as fuck but utterly infectious.

pigamus

Quote from: thraxx on September 05, 2014, 02:41:11 PM

Oh, don't start me off on Robert Palmer. The guy was just cool as fuck before he even opened his mouth. There are some poets who could never write anything as haunting and gorgeous as Johnny and Mary. Why do people still insist on thinking about him as some creepy old sexist? The women in that video look cooler than he does! What about She Makes My Day? Some Guys Have All The Luck? Yeah, your dad likes him, but even your dad isn't always wrong.

Shame the booze got him in the end.

BPFHAY

Quote from: pigamus on September 05, 2014, 04:03:51 PM
Oh, don't start me off on Robert Palmer. The guy was just cool as fuck before he even opened his mouth. There are some poets who could never write anything as haunting and gorgeous as Johnny and Mary.
Exactly.

Vodka Margarine

Robert Palmer did instantly spring to mind earlier when I was bored and came up with this terrible thread. He was perhaps the patron saint of shuffling dads, and his Yorkshire blue eyed soul shall live on forever more in everyone's inner shuffling dad.

Stop laughing at the back.

Goldentony

Sorry, but Palmer has written some proper bangers far away from what you might associate with Uncle Ian. One specifically:

Clues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8mhSOWMY38

Song and video both fucking brilliant and mental. Love it.

doppelkorn

I think this genre makes up half my record collection but right now it's:

Steely Dan - Hey Nineteen

BPFHAY

Quote from: Goldentony on September 05, 2014, 05:14:54 PM
Sorry, but Palmer has written some proper bangers far away from what you might associate with Uncle Ian. One specifically:

Clues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8mhSOWMY38

Song and video both fucking brilliant and mental. Love it.
Oh my god yes. Beating Peter Gabriel at his own game.

newbridge

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 05, 2014, 01:55:20 PM
Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere.

No...that's too groovy for Dad...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=owruZtqHw2Y

maybe The Chain has the Clarkson effect?

BPFHAY

I much prefer 80s-magical-journey incense-shop-in-a-high-street FM synth Fleetwood Mac to hippy long-dress gypsy rock Fleetwood Mac, so I'm going to put in a vote for Everywhere instead of The Chain.

Fuck dads. DILFs.

BlodwynPig

I'm not a dad yet and love Everywhere...its been abused in recent years, but still.

BlodwynPig

BPFHAY

The Electric Dad had to be recalled because of what it did. You know this. Drop it.

You know you want to groove to that smooooove bassline, daddio.

Nobody Soup

warren zevon is a bit too cool and subversive to be a dad's anthem but mohammed's radio does have that feel of just being groovy and the chorus is kinda deliberately mawkish and it brings out a bit of a groovy dad in me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0FaVI9ae24

pigamus

Don_Preston

In the last week or so I've done dad dances/bump and grinds to, from the top of my memory; Prince's Little Red Corvette and Lolita, Harvey Milk and Nicki's Anaconda.

I also taught my lad how to corrupt the Nina and the Neurons theme, which is greatly amusing for all.

Vodka Margarine

Handle With Care - Travelling Wilburys
The Impending Idleness of Being Increasingly Unimportant - Oasis
Just about fucking anything by - Dire Straits

great_badir

Quote from: Don_Preston on September 06, 2014, 12:03:03 AM
I also taught my lad how to corrupt the Nina and the Neurons theme, which is greatly amusing for all.

That's fine, but please leave Sarah and Duck alone.  That's about the only bit of current that-age kids TV I can cling onto with sanity intact at the moment.

BPFHAY

Can we all just admit now that dad music is mostly really great pop? My Spotify starred tracks list is made up of "dad music", 80s Cyndi Lauper and Madonna and other stuff generally sneered at by pricks. It's all well and good to listen to more difficult music, but sometimes you just need cheesy feels. And I hate to say cheesy, 'cos that synth in Time After Time fucking means something.