Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,342
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:17:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

yes yes, oh yay! brilliant new Streets single

Started by mr suit, September 01, 2004, 08:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr suit

Blinded By The Lights... best song off the new album.

i thought they wouldn't put it out, having already released one slowy from the album, but thankfully i was wrong.

Quote from: "NME.com"The single, the third from number one album 'A Grand Don't Come For Free' is released on September 27 through Locked On/679.

Jet Set Willy

Yes I was suprised to hear it on the radio, seeing as it's largely about taking ecstasy, and very effective in conveying it too.

mr suit

Quote from: "Jet Set Willy"Yes I was suprised to hear it on the radio, seeing as it's largely about taking ecstasy, and very effective in conveying it too.

yeah, but Weak Become Heroes got quite a bit of airplay too....

and Ebeneezer Goode and World In Motion were both massive radio hits.

i think as long as you dress it up a little/cut any "this tastes like cardboard" lyrics (i've not heard Blinded By The Lights on the radio... is it edited at all?) its ok..

BetaKarraTene

A lot of the words are blanked out like they did with Weak Become Heroes, so you just get dead air instead of any words which seems a bit daft. He should have done an Eminem and recorded new lyrics for the radio version. (Speaking of which. Although less shocking, I prefer the lyrics to My Name Is... in the radio version to the album version, but that's another topic.)

I read that this is a sequel to said track, which wouldn't surprise me since when I went to the Astoria gig my first thought on playing it was that they sounded very alike.

By the way, what is World in Motion about, if it's not about football?

mr suit

Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"
By the way, what is World in Motion about, if it's not about football?

the title and chorus was originally "E For England", or so the rumour goes...

RHX

Heads up for you all: The first play of this video will be on Channel 4, Friday at 12:30am. I assume that means Friday into Saturday.

Goldentony

im dissapointed it aint a manfred mann cover

cilamc

The lyrics to World in Motion seem to be slyly camp. "Express yourself, it's one on one". From memory John Barnes' rap goes...

"You've got to hold or give but do it at the right time, you can be slow or fast but you must get to the line, you've got to hit them and hurt them, defend and attack, there's only one way to beat them - go round the back, so catch me if you can cause I'm the England man, and what you're looking at is the masterplan, we ain't no hooligans, this ain't no football song, three lions on our chest you know we can go wrong."

Sorry if I'm inventing bits there, but bear in mind I'm Irish and despite being a big fan of New Order I tried to avoid the song when it came out! Anyway, Kevin Allen wrote the above rap, he's a bit of a card isn't he?

Anyway, back on topic The Streets' new single is superb, slightly prefer "Weak Become Heroes" though. New album is brilliant.

"Scenes from a teenage opera - 2004 style".

Ah it's a fucking good song isn't it? So reminds me...of certain good times.

mwude

It's the only song off the album I find myself going back to & listening to again.  I like it a lot.  I'm still undecided as to whether the fact he can sum up so many people's experience so accurately is down to the fact he is a genius 'voice of a generation' poet or if it's just that everyone turns into the same simple gurning twat when on ecstasy.

joFFeman

chand

Quote from: "mwude"I'm still undecided as to whether the fact he can sum up so many people's experience so accurately is down to the fact he is a genius 'voice of a generation' poet or if it's just that everyone turns into the same simple gurning twat when on ecstasy.

I suspect the latter.

Pilf

Quote from: "chand"
Quote from: "mwude"I'm still undecided as to whether the fact he can sum up so many people's experience so accurately is down to the fact he is a genius 'voice of a generation' poet or if it's just that everyone turns into the same simple gurning twat when on ecstasy.

I suspect the latter.

I absolutely love that quote mwude!

RHX

Quote from: "RHX"Heads up for you all: The first play of this video will be on Channel 4, Friday at 12:30am. I assume that means Friday into Saturday.

Well, that was quite good, not really as adult as Smack My Bitch Up, but still quite graphic. Good thing that it won't get played much on TV, that means it won't piss me off when it's on all the time.

non capisco

Haven't seen the video, what's in it? Is it a literal telling of the song's story, with him going to the door to try and pick up a signal on his phone? Do the visuals go all woozy when he comes up on his pill? Is it done well?

RHX

It's generally the same story as the song, only it's set at a wedding party (I think), and there's a fight scene, which I don't believe was in the song, unless it was talked about in a subliminal way. It's done very well, the woozy visuals come in to play as you'd expect, and it also elaborates on the story between his friend and his girlfriend, in a somewhat graphic way (the actions are there, but no nudity). For some reason I disliked that scene more than any other, and I have no reason why, usually I love laughing at stuff like that.

Spiteface

Saw the vid after the Oasis doc.

Interesting choice of single, I think...

My Mum loves "A grand don't come for free", so I've been hearing it in my house a few times. Not my cup of tea but a fine album. I hate "Dry Your Eyes" now though...

TraceyQ

Saw this video on Kerrang or summat last night and thought it was magnificent. I can see Mike Skinner being offered acting roles fairly soon.

MrManson

I spied this video last night, through hazy drunken eyes... but I adore it.

Very brilliant.