Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:04:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Predestination

Started by zomgmouse, September 09, 2014, 11:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zomgmouse

Adapted from Heinlein's "-All You Zombies-" and starring Ethan Hawke.

Surprisingly works very well. I went in thinking they'd actionified it but it turned out to be a great little quiet film. I liked it a lot, and the use of the Heinlein dialogue interspersed with its own was definitely a good fit. Shot quite nicely, too (in Melbourne! Yay! There's a shot of the university I went to as well as a quite distinctive new building I used to pass every day on my way to uni). Go check it out, especially as it doesn't seem to be getting much of a release.

Mister Six

Have you read the original story? I'll be bloody impressed if they kept it close to the original.

I don't know anything about the film but I'll guess that POSSIBLE SPOILER EXCEPT IT'S JUST SPECULATION
Spoiler alert
it's been rewritten as a murder mystery and the cop investigating the murder is both the killer and the victim.
[close]

zomgmouse

Yes I have, and I was as surprised as you would be that they managed to stick very closely to it. Your murder speculation is incorrect, though also kind of correct but also not? I can't say much without giving it away. But definitely go see it.

olliebean

I can't see a UK release date. Any chance we'll get to see it over here?

El Unicornio, mang

Just watched this. Good indie time travel sci-fi which would probably unravel quite a lot if I think about it too much but as it stands worked well, and good performances (Sally Snook in particular). One review said it was "Looper meets Cloud Atlas", which isn't far off.

zomgmouse

Quote from: olliebean on September 13, 2014, 02:44:57 PM
I can't see a UK release date. Any chance we'll get to see it over here?
IMDb says 5 December.

Small Man Big Horse

Has been leaked online now, though I've not seen it yet.

El Unicornio, mang

There are nice 10GB copies too as the Australian bluray is out on Dec 24th so there's rips of that, 4-5 weeks early as per usual. I do like to pay money for smaller indie films like this but I'm using the excuse of being very poor. I think it might do quite well with word of mouth though and hopefully at least recoup the modest budget.

Small Man Big Horse

Just watched it now and thought it was pretty bad, sadly. The moment Hawke
Spoiler alert
had his face burnt off at the beginning I guessed he'd turn out to be the villain of the piece, and when it was revealed that Jane/John could get all spunky I presumed it'd turn out she'd be her own Mother / Father, especially as they'd not revealed the father's face earlier on. The rest of it didn't come as a great surprise either, and I felt it dragged on for way too long - there might be a good short / hour long film here based on the source material, but all the stuff with Jane growing up was painfully drawn out.
[close]
Perhaps I expected too much from it, but I really didn't think it worked as either a character study / exploration of the predestination theme, and was really really disappointed.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: zomgmouse on November 25, 2014, 04:55:23 AM
IMDb says 5 December.

Distributor's website says early next year, but it's apparently getting a cinema release.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 29, 2014, 10:12:07 PM
Just watched it now and thought it was pretty bad, sadly. The moment Hawke
Spoiler alert
had his face burnt off at the beginning I guessed he'd turn out to be the villain of the piece, and when it was revealed that Jane/John could get all spunky I presumed it'd turn out she'd be her own Mother / Father, especially as they'd not revealed the father's face earlier on. The rest of it didn't come as a great surprise either, and I felt it dragged on for way too long - there might be a good short / hour long film here based on the source material, but all the stuff with Jane growing up was painfully drawn out.
[close]
Perhaps I expected too much from it, but I really didn't think it worked as either a character study / exploration of the predestination theme, and was really really disappointed.
Have you read the original short story, SMBH? Pretty much all of the plot points you were disappointed with are from it.

Noodle Lizard

Is this the one where Ethan Hawke
Spoiler alert
fucks himself
[close]
?

olliebean

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 07, 2014, 01:29:44 PM
Is this the one where Ethan Hawke
Spoiler alert
fucks himself
[close]
?

Not quite; it's the one where Sarah Snook
Spoiler alert
fucks herself and then turns into
[close]
Ethan Hawke.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: olliebean on December 07, 2014, 08:38:05 PM
Not quite; it's the one where Sarah Snook
Spoiler alert
fucks herself and then turns into
[close]
Ethan Hawke.

Wait, does Sarah Snook
Spoiler alert
fuck
[close]
Ethan Hawke and then become
Spoiler alert
Ethan Hawke
[close]
?  Which would essentially mean
Spoiler alert
Ethan Hawke
[close]
went
Spoiler alert
back in time
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
fucked
[close]
someone who would
Spoiler alert
later become
[close]
him.  Thus Ethan Hawke, essentially,
Spoiler alert
fucks
[close]
Spoiler alert
himsel
[close]
f.

Either way, I'm involved. 
Spoiler alert
Now allow me to really confuse everyone
[close]
because six jizz-filled cabbages are better than four.

olliebean

No. Sarah Snook never
Spoiler alert
fucks
[close]
Ethan Hawke. She just
Spoiler alert
becomes
[close]
him, some time after she
Spoiler alert
fucks herself
[close]

zomgmouse

It's basically
Spoiler alert
one long, convoluted wank.
[close]

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: olliebean on December 08, 2014, 11:33:13 PM
No. Sarah Snook never
Spoiler alert
fucks
[close]
Ethan Hawke. She just
Spoiler alert
becomes
[close]
him, some time after she
Spoiler alert
fucks herself
[close]

So you have
Spoiler alert
Sarah Snook played by
[close]
Sarah Snook fuck
Spoiler alert
ing herself
[close]
also
Spoiler alert
played by Sarah
[close]
Snook?  Well, that sounds like a bunch of arse.

Spoiler alert
Here's the bit where I mention the
[close]
satsumas
Spoiler alert
if you don't mind
[close]
?

Puce Moment

I thought this passed the time well, but ultimately fails to satisfy. The beginning was confusing for me because I absolutely got it in my head that yer fella was played by Dane DeHaan (from Chronicle):

Therefore, I didn't spot that it was a bird or work out what was going on for ages, even though it is completely obvious.

I think the revelations towards the end are too third-acty and it all goes a bit twisty in an unsatisfying way. Visually I liked it a lot, and I especially enjoyed the lack of effects when they time-jump, opting instead for judicious use of wind. But it fails to satisfy - at least for me.