Author Topic: Doctor Sleep Stephen King  (Read 199 times)

Doctor Sleep Stephen King
« on: September 11, 2014, 04:27:05 PM »
Slightly OT but did anyone check out the sequel 'Doctor Sleep' ? Any good?

Rather than drag the Kubrick thread off topic I thought I'd reply here.

It's not one of Stephen King's best. After I read your question I realised I was struggling to recall anything much about the book. It takes forever to get going. The story starts quite soon after the events of The Shining and Danny gets older and older, and then a little girl is born and she gets older and older, and there's a creepy group of psychic vampires who travel round the country, and the three stories take ages to intersect.

I remember being impressed by the book's brief use of the events of September 11th when the psychic vampires end up near New York. Using those events to ground the book in the real world seemed brave for a writer like Stephen King who still has a mainstream following.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
Re: Doctor Sleep Stephen King
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »
A few stray thoughts of mine:

I picked up Doctor Sleep (eh? eh?) the other day. Along with being a sequel to The Shining, it seems to go right back to King's alcoholism, which I think was the backbone of The Shining and the reason that he despised Kubrick's adaptation (turning Jack from a good man trying to escape alcoholism/ghosts into a man who seemed crazy from the start).

I'm not quite as taken with it as I was at the start of 11.22.63, the opening is quite sudden and jumps around a lot - he's also launched straight into his old trope of constantly repeating key words or phrases ([Spoiler]"Mama." He said. "Canny." He said.[/Spoiler]). But it's alright, it's enjoyable. So far the only thing to stand out for me has been [Spoiler]the death of the elderly resident, written in quite a simple but very effective way,[/Spoiler] although I am enjoying the [Spoiler]narrative of Abra growing up, along with the 9/11-predicting immortal baddies.[/Spoiler] The writing itself may be a little on-the-nose, but King is always fantastic at spinning a story, and crafting characters.

I read Doctor Sleep last week, and it's not great. Sort of going through the motions of a Stephen King book, only in quite a punctual, surface way. The bad guys are [Spoiler]pathetic, spending the entire novel dying of the measles, being humiliated by the leads every time they come into contact, and at absolutely no point having the upper hand.[/Spoiler] The alcoholism was done better in The Shining, too.