Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:30:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Amazon Kindle 2014 Range

Started by Artemis, September 18, 2014, 08:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

So with a barely audible cough and a silent fart, Amazon has quietly vomited up their 2014 Kindle range.

The basic touch-screen, Paperwhite (now 'Voyage') and Kindle Fire HD all get an upgrade. Whoop-dee-do.

People who think pressing buttons make e-readers feel like books will be delighted to learn of the inclusion of A BUTTON on the Voyage, plus the screen resolution is a lot better, the materials are more 'premium', and it's all flush and delicious. Frustratingly, the design has changed to the extent that the previous Amazon cases, which were really nice, have now been replaced by some origami bollocks (not to be taken literally) which costs £54.99!! For a case!! This country, etc...

So anyway, there they are. Something new to read sexed up PDFs on for people with no appreciation of real books. Like me.

Mister Six

Surely that hands-free reading business doesn't work if you have to keep leaning over to tap the screen? Those covers only work on iPads because people play videos on them.

I wish they'd release a backlit Kindle without a touchscreen interface. I hate getting fingerprints all over my stuff.

olliebean

Quote from: Mister Six on September 19, 2014, 12:49:50 AMI wish they'd release a backlit Kindle without a touchscreen interface. I hate getting fingerprints all over my stuff.

Quite, and that's the reason to have buttons, not because they somehow make it feel like a book (they don't). Although these are more like pressure pads than buttons by the sound of it. Not sure what I think about that.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on September 19, 2014, 12:49:50 AM
Surely that hands-free reading business doesn't work if you have to keep leaning over to tap the screen?

With these ones you can tap the screen without leaning your entire body forwards.

Alberon

I appreciate the page turn buttons on the left and right, which apparently have a slight haptic response when you push them.

But to be honest the Kindle 3G I bought four years ago still works as good as ever and the only real disadvantage is I can't read it in the dark, which I would never do anyway.

amnesiac

the other funny thing is Amazon's own comparison chart which shows the Voyager is identical to the Paperwhite apart from increased dpi, and I really don't think anyone would notice, are people complaining their Kindles are great APART FROM BEING TOTALLY UNDREADABLE?

Replies From View

Quote from: amnesiac on September 19, 2014, 12:15:44 PM
are people complaining their Kindles are great APART FROM BEING TOTALLY UNDREADABLE?

That would be a peculiar criticism indeed.