Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WHICH? Power netbook/video player

Started by HappyTree, September 23, 2014, 10:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyTree

I've had a look around but still haven't found what I'm looking for. Can you or Bono help?

I use my 4 year-old laptop almost exclusively for showing vids to students in school. The larger file sizes of HD today are making it stutter, presumably due to GPU and system memory limitations. It's fine up to about 1.5 Gigs but give it a 4-Gig 720p and it cannae tak it captain.

I'm looking for as physically small a laptop/netbook as possible that is still powerful enough to play HD content properly. VGA out for connecting to the projector would be ideal, but if this is an outdated connector then I can easily get an adaptor for a DVI or HDMI out.

It doesn't have to be ultra slim - the "ultrabooks" are too thin and expensive for what I need, I think - but screen diagonal should be tiny as I will almost never need to use it without connecting to the projector. Battery performance is also mostly irrelevant as it will always be plugged into the mains.

Anyone know of anything that might fit the bill? Searching online throws up ultrabooks and all the latest, best stuff that is not quite what I need it for.

Cheers!

wasp_f15ting

As long as you get a core i3 or above you should be fine.

The core line of processors does really power most things you want. I can run 1080p without even a hint of an issue on my i3.

Here are a couple of lappies I can came across.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-e5-571-15-6-laptop-iron-10011153-pdt.html

A bit heavier than you probably were looking for.. but decent specs.

This looks way more thinner, and with the cash back offer you can upgrade the ram too:

http://www.ebuyer.com/638622-lenovo-b50-70-laptop-mcc27uk

HappyTree

Ok, I'll keep that spec in mind. Cheaper than I thought it might be! With a disk that size I could put everything on it and not have to think about what I need on any particular day. Cheers!