Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Disney's Frozen driving people mad?

Started by Alberon, September 26, 2014, 12:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

I ask, because this seemingly innocuous film yesterday became the subject of a particularly barking lawsuit claiming that it had ripped off someone's real life childhood, and secondly that a Japanese woman divorced her husband, because he didn't love the film. Lawsuits against successful films are ten a penny, but this one goes beyond the usual money grabbing ones.

QuoteLatin American author Isabella Tanikumi is suing Disney for plagiarism in a $250 million lawsuit, claiming that the plot is based on her 2010 autobiography and not Hans Christian Anderson's fairy tale, The Snow Queen.

The lawsuit itself is here and has a good couple of gems in the proof section. Both stories start in towns at the base of snow covered mountains is the first example. Apparently the woman behind the lawsuit also believes the songs from Frozen steal material from her autobiographical story as well.

http://images.eonline.com/static/news/pdf/frozenlawsuit.pdf

As for the Japanese woman

QuoteAccording to Japanese website Kikonsha no Hakaba (which ominously translates to 'The Gravesite of Married People'), he reviewed the film to his wife thusly: "It's an okay movie, I guess, but I didn't really care for it personally.

"Do you really think it's that good?"

"If you can't understand what makes this movie great, there's something wrong with you as a human being! I want a divorce!"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/japanese-woman-divorces-husband-after-six-years-of-marriage-because-he-didnt-like-frozen-9486206.html

So what happened here? Did the Illuminati mess up the subliminal messages in the film or what?

Replies From View

I DON'T KNOW MATE I HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM XX

Replies From View

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 26, 2014, 01:22:30 PM
To answer the headline question - no.

I don't even know, because I haven't seen it.

Zero knowledge of Disney's Frozen here.  No ability to contribute to the thread meaningfully whatsoever.

BlodwynPig

What is the $250 million claim covering? Lost childhood?

Fuck litigation, the second greatest evil in the world today.

madhair60

If it wasn't for fuck litigation I'd still be a virgin.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on September 26, 2014, 01:51:37 PM
If it wasn't for fuck litigation I'd still be a virgin.

It's thanks to fuck litigation that I still am.

Hymenoptera

Not driving them mad, but driving them to sing that fucking awful "Let it Go" song at every given opportunity.

kngen

I think its probably driving a lot of parents round the bend - it's fucking bonkers how all-pervading it is. Frozen on Ice has just come to our city ($70 a pop - fucking bandits that they are!), so that's another avenue to siphon money out of parents' pockets (there is a Frozen section about the size of a Tesco Metro in the nearest Wal-Mart to us).

It's such a terribly average affair, too - it's as if they took the template of Tangled, stripped out all the irony, sophistication and humour, slapped on a couple of belting Broadway show tunes (because no one loves show tunes like the under-fives, right?) and thought: 'Yeah, that'll do.' As far as I can recall, it had a pretty slow opening (it didn't even debut at No 1 despite opening on a holiday weekend, usually a banker for an animation) but word of mouth propelled it over the following weeks to make it the HIGHEST GROSSING ANIMATION OF ALL TIME. I don't believe for a second Disney thought they had a hit of that magnitude on their hands - their promotion of it was half-arsed at best. But the internet worked its viral magic, and here we are in a post-Frozen world, where parents will have to endure their offspring's viewing choices rather than get to occasionally enjoy a sprinkling of humour with them in mind.[nb]Alrght, the comic relief snowman in Frozen has his moments - but he doesn't make an appearance until about halfway through the film, by which point I've already died of boredom[/nb].

If there's one solace of comfort I can take from the endless Frozen showings in this house, it's that whenever Let It Go comes on, I now don't even have make eye contact with my wife for her to tell me to shut my smug face following my victory in an argument about whether or not it was written with the 'I Will Survive' gay emancipation market in mind. (It was just a wee notion I had on hearing it the thousandth time, but me, cynical? In your face, Mrs kngen!) 

El Unicornio, mang

Aww, I loved it and thought it was funny throughout (including an unintentional bit where she says "I want you to take me up the North Mountain"). I preferred the setting of Tangled but otherwise I slightly preferred Frozen.

kngen

Just so you don't think I've got a heart of stone, I do always have 'something in my eye' in the bit when the king and queen wearily prepare themselves to release the lantern on Rapunzel's 18th birthday[nb] even thinking about it, I'm getting a bit teary, big jessie that I am[/nb]. But nothing got me like that in Frozen - and I was genuinely surprised at how trad it was. The dialogue isn't nearly as sparky as Tangled, but I'm guessing they had to play it a bit straighter in that department, as the story itself (the villain is actually just misunderstood; Prince Handsome is a bastard) was a bit of a departure.

The lyric 'And I'll be doing whatever snow does in summer' always gets a laugh from me, though.

BlodwynPig

Can someone summarise this phenomenon in the voice of Joan Hickson, the best Miss Marple

Noodle Lizard

'Frozen' was severely banal.  I was made to watch it twice, once with my ex and once with a friend's dumb kid.  Even the friend's dumb kid didn't think it was much cop.

And 'Let It Go' is such a dull song that it was always bound to be sung at every karaoke night on Earth for the next five years.  People really do just like what they're told to, don't they?  I blame 9Gag.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I haven't seen it either. It can't be that good, or small children wouldn't be singing the snogs from it all the time.

greenman

Quote from: kngen on September 26, 2014, 06:28:49 PM
I think its probably driving a lot of parents round the bend - it's fucking bonkers how all-pervading it is. Frozen on Ice has just come to our city ($70 a pop - fucking bandits that they are!), so that's another avenue to siphon money out of parents' pockets (there is a Frozen section about the size of a Tesco Metro in the nearest Wal-Mart to us).

It's such a terribly average affair, too - it's as if they took the template of Tangled, stripped out all the irony, sophistication and humour, slapped on a couple of belting Broadway show tunes (because no one loves show tunes like the under-fives, right?) and thought: 'Yeah, that'll do.' As far as I can recall, it had a pretty slow opening (it didn't even debut at No 1 despite opening on a holiday weekend, usually a banker for an animation) but word of mouth propelled it over the following weeks to make it the HIGHEST GROSSING ANIMATION OF ALL TIME. I don't believe for a second Disney thought they had a hit of that magnitude on their hands - their promotion of it was half-arsed at best. But the internet worked its viral magic, and here we are in a post-Frozen world, where parents will have to endure their offspring's viewing choices rather than get to occasionally enjoy a sprinkling of humour with them in mind.[nb]Alrght, the comic relief snowman in Frozen has his moments - but he doesn't make an appearance until about halfway through the film, by which point I've already died of boredom[/nb].

If there's one solace of comfort I can take from the endless Frozen showings in this house, it's that whenever Let It Go comes on, I now don't even have make eye contact with my wife for her to tell me to shut my smug face following my victory in an argument about whether or not it was written with the 'I Will Survive' gay emancipation market in mind. (It was just a wee notion I had on hearing it the thousandth time, but me, cynical? In your face, Mrs kngen!)

Haven't seen it(and likely never will) but the trailers made it look like absolutely soulless identikit Disney trash, generally CGI animated seems to allow you to get away with a multitude of sins but this film seems to be pushing things to another level.

I'd guess everyone underestimated how much of a buildup of crazy Disney princess worship there has been in the shadows just waiting for something to latch onto.

newbridge

Randy Newman is legitimately one of the greatest songwriters of all time, has been writing Disney music for decades now, and it takes him like 16 nominations to even win an award for it. Meanwhile, this movie has a second-rate show tune and it becomes a global sensation...

Sam

Frozen is a good film because it subverts traditional narrative arcs and gives impressionable minds an alternative to the myth of redemptive violence, as well as a  realistic depiction of people's true enemies being themselves and their negative emotions, and strong female role models.

kngen

Quote from: Sam on September 28, 2014, 12:35:33 AM
gives impressionable minds an alternative to the myth of redemptive violence

Anna
Spoiler alert
punches the Prince off the boat
[close]
at the end

Retinend

Quote from: newbridge on September 28, 2014, 12:01:32 AM
Randy Newman is legitimately one of the greatest songwriters of all time, has been writing Disney music for decades now

Although his last good album was in 1977

Replies From View

Quote from: Retinend on September 28, 2014, 09:37:00 AM

True but his work with Dandy Baddiel wasn't too bad.

newbridge

Quote from: Retinend on September 28, 2014, 09:37:00 AM

The mid-70s peak is untouchable, but they're all pretty good to me. Except that track on Land of Dreams where he raps.

falafel

I was predisposed to like the songs because of the Book of Mormon connection, but i genuinely think they are good.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Sam on September 28, 2014, 12:35:33 AM
Frozen is a good film because it subverts traditional narrative arcs

In what way?  Once all characters had been established, I knew exactly how it would end.

Sam

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 29, 2014, 07:44:15 PM
In what way?  Once all characters had been established, I knew exactly how it would end.

I didn't say it was unpredictable, just that it doesn't follow a traditional narrative by having an enemy (often swarthy and/or camp) getting killed.

MuteBanana

I recently discovered that a pub in town was having people dress up as the main characters for a meet and greet with local children.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sam on September 29, 2014, 09:43:05 PM
I didn't say it was unpredictable, just that it doesn't follow a traditional narrative by having an enemy (often swarthy and/or camp) getting killed.

And it says that 'love at first sight' whirlwind romances are a terrible idea.

And it says that women don't need to hook up with a man to give them fulfilment.

And that it's fine if the most important relationship in your life is a familial one.

And that you can totally do an animated flick with two female protagonists and still make huge amounts of money.

And, yes, that it's okay to be gay (or an X-Man).

It's a lovely film that neatly subverts a lot of the standard gender tropes that have been at the centre of Disney's animated output for years. It's not perfect (the first act is rushed, the whole film takes place in too short a timespan and the script in general really did need another bit of polish before it went in front of the digital cameras) but it's still great. And yes, the showtunes songs were fab too, though inevitably overplayed.

Hank Venture

I refuse to see it. The stereotypes and characters in it are deeply offensive to me. It's appropriating my culture.

BPFHAY