Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:09:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Disney's Frozen driving people mad?

Started by Alberon, September 26, 2014, 12:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

The sisters and the one with the reindeer (and his reindeer) all popped up in the season 4 premier of 'Once Upon A Time'. Unsurprisingly for a US show, they've found a couple of gorgeous lasses to play the sisters.

Mister Six

That's weird. Aren't the characters owned by Disney or something? Did they have to get special permission?

Alberon

Once Upon a Time is shown on ABC which is owned by Disney, so an easy bit of self promotion.

BritishHobo

It's essentially like the The Avengers of Disney animated characters.

Sam

The songs are really decent, they've just become tired from ludicrous overplay and exposure.

I find the singer who does Elsa to be lacking in tone and subtlety and most of the high notes in Let it Go are strained and not particularly attractive. Ana has a nicer, more mellow voice. The 'Love is an Open Door' is groovy with some nice singing and the Trolls doing Musical meets Motown is quite silly and enjoyable. It's different enough to the Alan Menken Disney trademark style, where heroine's arias are fairly interchangeable.

That said, I don't really care for the cod-folk styling of the opening Ice Cutters' song, or the whishy washy choral music.

Also, the film brings out the worst in the generation of tragically infantilised adult-kids that read watch this, read Harry Potter and refuse to grow up.

Sam

The songs are really decent, they've just become tired from ludicrous overplay and exposure.

I find the singer who does Elsa to be lacking in tone and subtlety and most of the high notes in Let it Go are strained and not particularly attractive. Ana has a nicer, more mellow voice. The 'Love is an Open Door' is groovy with some nice singing and the Trolls doing Musical meets Motown is quite silly and enjoyable. It's different enough to the Alan Menken Disney trademark style, where heroine's arias are fairly interchangeable.

That said, I don't really care for the cod-folk styling of the opening Ice Cutters' song, or the whishy washy choral music.

Also, the film brings out the worst in the generation of tragically infantilised adult-kids that watch this, read Harry Potter and refuse to grow up.

Mister Six

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 04, 2014, 10:46:38 AM
It's essentially like the The Avengers of Disney animated characters.

Oooh.

(Checks the casting for Jasmine and Ariel.)

Oh.

Gulftastic

In a rather brave move last season, they had Mulan nearly declare her love for Sleeping Beauty, meaning Disney has it's first truly gay (or bi) character. It's not gone any further yet, as Jamie Chung who plays Mulan got a part in another show. That has now been cancelled, and there is hope she may return.

Mister Six

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 05, 2014, 05:07:31 PM
In a rather brave move last season, they had Mulan nearly declare her love for Sleeping Beauty, meaning Disney has it's first truly gay (or bi) character. It's not gone any further yet, as Jamie Chung who plays Mulan got a part in another show. That has now been cancelled, and there is hope she may return.

Oooh.

(Checks the casting for Mulan and Sleeping Beauty.)

Oh.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sam on October 04, 2014, 12:26:40 PM

Says the guy who posted that twice!

(I agree, though.)

QuoteAlso, the film brings out the worst in the generation of tragically infantilised adult-kids that watch this, read Harry Potter and refuse to grow up.

I think you'll find that's actually My Little Pony.

CaledonianGonzo

Let It Go aside, none of the other songs are really ludicrously over-exposed, though, are they?  I think I've only ever heard things like Fixer Upper when I've seen the movie.

Granted, there are no Frozen-obsessed kids in my family, so maybe I'd feel differently if the soundtrack was on on a permanent loop in my living room.

BPFHAY

This angry YouTube comment on Let It Go makes me laugh so much:

"FROZEN SUCKS ELSA HAS THE VOICE OF A 50 YEAR OLD SMOKER I HOPE ANNA AND ELSA DIES IN A ACCIDENT"

I think it's "in an accident" that gets me. Just imagining a really domestic, tragic end to ethereal fictional characters. And that the author hopes for that.

mikeyg27

The thing I don't get about "Let It Go" is that it's basically the same song as "Defying Gravity", right down to being sung by Idina Menzel.

Sivead

Sorry, I clicked on one of them "Popular on YouTube" viral links. If this is the effect this movie has on kids I fully support it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHqgShbhbQ

Enough to melt any ones heart.

Sam

Quote from: Sivead on October 10, 2014, 04:00:41 PM
Sorry, I clicked on one of them "Popular on YouTube" viral links. If this is the effect this movie has on kids I fully support it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crHqgShbhbQ

Enough to melt any ones heart.

Yes, she's a credit to poo; he must be very proud.