Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AMAZON Prime Cunts!

Started by Steven, October 01, 2014, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amnesiac

funniest AMAZ thing to happen to me was when i ordered a Wii U and opened it to find....[place your bets now]... a Wii, a Wii-Wii, the first one, some cunt at the courier (Home Delivery Network, Borhamwood) had got to it and .. you know, why go to the bother of putting an old Wii, why not just put a brick in it, just boggles the mind.

Steven

Whoopee, buy and install an always-on audio spy in your own house, does everything a smartphone can but is ALWAYS LISTENING and can hear you from anywhere in the room, don't worry, it only listens when you give the special command word - err except to react to that command word it obviously has to be ALWAYS LISTENING. This looks worse than google's revoked Nexus Q concept, and the laugh acting around that dog joke in the advert makes me want to claw my own tongue out.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Steven on November 06, 2014, 10:56:48 PM
Whoopee, buy and install an always-on audio spy in your own house, does everything a smartphone can but is ALWAYS LISTENING and c

For the short of time, this is a free standing speaker and voice recognition thing a la siri, you can ask it what the weather will be and it will probably give you some complicated descriptive breakdown which you have to parse in your head and maybe make you wait unnecessarily til it gets to the important bit.

What I wanted to ask though was, is there any evidence people enjoy talking to machines? I just never see or hear people use it apart from the first time as a novelty. Have they checked whether any usage is not of the type: "wow that's cool! But also a little strange, and uncomfortable in public". Can anyone stand up and say they like talking to machines? Ok Google! I feel like such a cunt! I suppose this thing could have an advantage in that it's private.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 07, 2014, 12:04:26 AM
What I wanted to ask though was, is there any evidence people enjoy talking to machines? I just never see or hear people use it apart from the first time as a novelty. Have they checked whether any usage is not of the type: "wow that's cool! But also a little strange, and uncomfortable in public". Can anyone stand up and say they like talking to machines? Ok Google! I feel like such a cunt! I suppose this thing could have an advantage in that it's private.

I do. It's good for quick text messages, google searches (stuff like checking cooking times) and setting a timer.

As you say they, I don't do it in public, because it feels weird, and this is probably why you don't see it much and assume it's just a gimmick, but I'd guess by how everyone is throwing money at in the consumer space it dos get used. It would help if you could use Siri/google voice like you were talking on the phone, but they both insist on speaker phone for some reason.

Don't think the amazon thing is worth it though.

Steven

The voice recognition stuff is only useful when you've not got your hands free, like say driving, cooking, wanking.. and phones already do everything this thing does but you can carry around in your pocket, I frankly don't see the point. And even if you consider the long-term when it can integrate with everything in your house, lights, oven, TV etc, phones will still be able to do the same job, frankly the only thing I can see this being useful for is for the disabled. Voice recognition or human language is just less quick and intuitive to selecting options on a touch-screen, without talking to a mini scary fucking 2001 Monolith you've installed in your living room which is ALWAYS LISTENING. *Ligeti soundtrack starts playing*