Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:49:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Wii U thread

Started by Beagle 2, October 01, 2014, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Beagle 2 on October 13, 2014, 03:12:29 PM
Cheers for the info! Got my eye on this deal for Bayonetta 1&2 when pay day finally arrives: http://savygamer.co.uk/2014/10/13/bayonetta-bayonetta-2-wii-u-37-71/

That's a decent deal! If it wasn't for Bayonetta, I would go for the DKC:TR deal.

Quote from: Kelvin on October 13, 2014, 03:27:25 PM
Unfortunately, I ordered a 2nd hand copy of Tropical Freeze last Friday for just under £30. Waiting for it to arrive now...

That still a good buy and I'm sure that the VC will be on offer at a reduced rate some time.

Quote from: Kelvin on October 13, 2014, 03:27:25 PM...I've also just finished Pikmin 3, which might be my favourite wii solo player so far. All the hallmarks of great Nintendo design; tight controls, nice visuals, no glitches or technical problems, endearing characters and masterful level design, where everything becomes simpler and more efficient, the more skills you acquire and shortcuts you create. Genuinely one of the most joyful – and unique – gaming experiences I've had in years and one which I'd recommend to absolutely anyone with a wii U.

Absolutely - I just adored it and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I always get lost and waste lots of time wandering around in pikmin games :-(

I am playing Pikmin 3 at the moment

Ignatius_S

Zavvi are doing New Super Mario Bros. U for £13.99.

Onken

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 16, 2014, 08:21:24 PM
Zavvi are doing New Super Mario Bros. U for £13.99 £12.59.

CODE: NEWZ

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Onken on October 16, 2014, 08:31:55 PM

True - I didn't mention the voucher as it's for 24 hours only.

It's also doing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker for £27.99 (without code), which I think is the best price yet.

Kelvin

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 16, 2014, 08:21:24 PM
Zavvi are doing New Super Mario Bros. U for £13.99.

Wow. Done. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote from: Onken on October 16, 2014, 08:31:55 PM

Thanks for this, too.

syntaxerror

I had no idea Zavvi was still going. NSMBU is ace.

Blumf

Is that offer still up? I can't find it on zavvi.com

Ignatius_S

Shopto are doing New Super Mario Bros. U for £12.85 - offer until 17:00 today.

Blumf

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 17, 2014, 02:01:15 PM
Shopto are doing New Super Mario Bros. U for £12.85 - offer until 17:00 today.

That'll do, ta! (although, the website is a pile of poop, barely works with my browser)

VegaLA

Ignatius_S

For £180, ShopTo are doing: Wii U 8GB Basic White Console Including Wi Party U + Nintendo Land + White Wii Remote Plus Controller + Bayonetta 2 + Bayonetta 1.

Quote from: VegaLA on October 17, 2014, 07:55:01 PM
Fatal Frame anyone? Be warned...NSFW

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2014/10/01/fatal-frame-the-wii-u-is-finally-worth-owning/

Sadly, at the moment it hasn't been confirmed for anywhere but Japan and I'm increasingly unhopeful about this changing.

brat-sampson

That deal is so damn tempting. I really don't need more games to play/consoles to play 'em on at the moment, but still...

Beagle 2

Dae it! I think I'm going to have to save Bayonetta for Christmas, I went and bought Call of Duty Ghosts[nb]Yeah I know, but I really fancy getting stuck into an fps this weekend[/nb] and Mario 3D this month.

Kelvin

Nintendo direct on at the mo for smash bros:

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/10-23-2014/

on for about another 20 mins.

Onken

I wanted to play New Super Mario Bros that got delivered the other day. I'm still waiting on over a two hour system update to finish. When it said time remaining 01:58 I thought that indicated minutes. What a fucking joke. I'm going to bed and won't have another opportunity for at least a week now.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Kelvin on October 23, 2014, 11:12:00 PM
Nintendo direct on at the mo for smash bros:

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/10-23-2014/

on for about another 20 mins.

Wasn't able to catch it last night – anything that especially caught your eye?

Quote from: Onken on October 24, 2014, 04:37:11 AM
I wanted to play New Super Mario Bros that got delivered the other day. I'm still waiting on over a two hour system update to finish. When it said time remaining 01:58 I thought that indicated minutes. What a fucking joke. I'm going to bed and won't have another opportunity for at least a week now.

When did you last update and what speed is your Internet connection? When I installed the latest firmware last month, think it downloaded and installed in less ten minutes on mine.

Pdine

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 24, 2014, 09:11:06 AM

Big announcements seemed to be 8 player local multiplayer and big new features to come in patches post release (in other words they've not finished it).

madhair60

The Smash direct infuriated me.  The fucking voiceover.

Also, they bringing back Mewtwo!  Yay!

But you have to own both the 3DS and Wii U versions to get him.  No.

I hope he gets made available seperately.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Pdine on October 24, 2014, 09:24:56 AM... (in other words they've not finished it).

Yeah, they confirmed that it wasn't earlier this month.

Quote from: madhair60 on October 24, 2014, 09:30:04 AM....I hope he gets made available seperately.

Maybe a paid download?

madhair60

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 24, 2014, 09:36:27 AM
Maybe a paid download?

I hope so, but Nintendo are dreadful for this shit.

Edit: OK, the NoE twitter says:

"Register both versions in a promotional period & get him for free!"

That clears it up a bit more.  Good.  I don't have a Wii U yet so I was a little frustrated.  I will certainly get one though because there are now a good number of games I'm absolutely desperate to play.  NSMBU, Super Mario 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Sonic Lost World

madhair60

If I get a Wii U, can I use my old Wii remotes with it? Silly question, maybe.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: madhair60 on October 24, 2014, 12:41:34 PM

Yes, absolutely.

Blumf

Quote from: madhair60 on October 24, 2014, 12:41:34 PM

Yep, just need pairing like normal.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: madhair60 on October 24, 2014, 09:45:59 AM
I hope so, but Nintendo are dreadful for this shit.

Edit: OK, the NoE twitter says:

"Register both versions in a promotional period & get him for free!"

That clears it up a bit more.  Good.  I don't have a Wii U yet so I was a little frustrated.  I will certainly get one though because there are now a good number of games I'm absolutely desperate to play.  NSMBU, Super Mario 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Woolly World, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Sonic Lost World

That's good to hear – incidentally, I think Nintendo are starting to get better about this kind of thing so I was quite hopeful. Interestingly, this is the second bonus for having both versions of the game – the other is a free soundtrack (if you're a member of Club Nintendo)... bring it on, I say!

Kelvin

Quote from: Ignatius_S on October 24, 2014, 09:11:06 AM

Quite a bit, yes. Very impressed by the announcement that it will be up to eight players offline, albeit on specific, larger levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTwq0rJLJfQ&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ

I see potential in the Mario party style board game mode, where you and your friends play to win fighters and then at the end have a face off with all the skills, power-ups and characters you've won. Assuming it's handled properly, I could see that being a good alternative to tournament mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYydKCcuDY&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ

Numerous imaginative levels, including one simpler stage, where you fight in front of posts from the miiverse (which I'm a big fan of, and love posting stupid stuff to):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5IKUX5Q_Jg&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ

Also the stage builder finally shows the true creative potential for the gamepad, with anything you draw on it becoming solid. Epic battles on top of a huge jizzing cock? Yes please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hW3PI7LGAQ&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ

On the downside, I'm getting increasingly worried about the sheer number of stage hazards and bosses in the levels.

This level with Ridley looks like it might be utterly ruined by having Ridley fighting on stage with the players for long periods of time, as opposed to occasional fly bys you can avoid. At least two other levels look utterly ruined by huge, distracting boss characters you need to kill, as well. And although there are now over 40 levels and a few duds won't matter that much, there does seem to be a bigger and bigger push towards players avoiding hazards on the level itself, as well as their opponents - the result of which is always that people simply can't concentrate on fighting properly. Numerous levels on Brawl were ruined by this kind of thinking: the water fall climb, the scrolling mushroom kingdom, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik-34u1tm14&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ

Quote from: madhair60 on October 24, 2014, 09:30:04 AM
The Smash direct infuriated me.  The fucking voiceover.

I loved the voiceover at first, but it did get a bit annoying after 30 minutes.

QuoteAlso, they bringing back Mewtwo!  Yay!

But you have to own both the 3DS and Wii U versions to get him.  No.

That annoyed me too. I desperately want Mewtwo, but don't even have a 3DS. Disappointing.

madhair60

Nintendo of Europe's tweet suggests that it's just for a promotional period, meaning he'll be available to buy later.

Kelvin

I hope so. A couple more characters would make that more palatable, too.

I really hope there's an option to turn off stage bosses.