Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Wii U thread

Started by Beagle 2, October 01, 2014, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

I just remembered Club Nintendo shuts down tonight. I've got all my Nintendo games out to start entering them in. First code inside Mario Kart is not recognised no matter how I switch 1, I, 0 and O around. Already wanting to fuck it off.

hoverdonkey

I'm going to get Yoshi tomorrow because it looks like the perfect game to play in respite from the burning hell outside

Onken

The thing about Yoshi and a lot of Nintendo games on Metacritic is if you deduct the reviews from sites that only exclusively review Nintendo games the average score drops noticeably. Most publications gave Wooly World a 6/10 which I'm more likely to trust than Nintendo Life, FNintendo and NintendoWorldReport showering it with 9 and 8.5.

I thought original Wii Nintendo Stars would still be valid but when I've tried a couple they're all coming up with an expired notice. Shame as I have a big stack I never bothered to enter. It leaves my total at a miserable 2750.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Onken on June 30, 2015, 11:02:05 PM
The thing about Yoshi and a lot of Nintendo games on Metacritic is if you deduct the reviews from sites that only exclusively review Nintendo games the average score drops noticeably. Most publications gave Wooly World a 6/10 which I'm more likely to trust than Nintendo Life, FNintendo and NintendoWorldReport showering it with 9 and 8.5....

Bunk.

On Metacritic, three out of 27 listed critics gave it 6/10 (or the equivalent) with all the others marking it higher (the next lowest score is 70) It's also very clear that some websites that cover multiple platforms were giving it 90% plus. *edit* http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/yoshis-woolly-world/critic-reviews

Similarly, the idea you're putting forward that the marking for "a lot" of Nintendo games as being skewered by Nintendo publications doesn't tally with what's on Metacritic .

Onken

When you switch on your Wii U and see a really shitty Minecraft knock off occupying the most popular played games in Miiverse you've got to ask what the hell went wrong. I'm surprised Cube Life is allowed to exist for one but also that Nintendo would actually approve it for sale. It's an embarrassment that the Wii U has such a shallow pool of games that it can make the front page. You have to feel sorry for the single console owners who have no other option.

Nintendo make so many mistakes and one of their biggest failures of the Wii U is that Minecraft was not on their platform from day one. It can't be underestimated that they've lost a generation of kids who won't grow up playing on a Nintendo system because of its absence. Some of the quotes out there from Iwata about Minecraft are completely out of touch with the European and North American markets.

We cay say the original Wii was an anomaly, the GameCube had a core of 22M sales and the Wii U is going to finish with around 12M if they're lucky narrowly overtaking Dreamcast's numbers. I won't be surprised if NX in whatever physical form it takes manages 6M if they don't address the deep fundamental issues and be willing to change the company's direction. The faithful apologetic ageing Nintendo fanbase that keeps them afloat won't exist forever.

BritishHobo

Iwata's only gone and shitting died, jesus christ.

Junglist

Aye, horrible news. The man was a genuinely lovely guy.

RIP Iwata.

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 13, 2015, 01:48:34 AM

Fucking awful news, from a purely personal perspective. What major electronics group would make videos with the fucking Global CEO directly addressing consumers? That kind of personal touch really made me feel like Nintendo were real people making games. It helped alliviate some of their failings in terms of both games and hardware actually.

55! Jesus. That is just awful.

Kelvin

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 13, 2015, 01:48:34 AM

He was only 55.

It's a shame that he'll be remembered as the guy that presided over the Wii U's disastrous launch, but he also contributed to some of their most loved franchises; helped create Eartbound and Kirby and worked on Legend of Zelda and Mario.

It's also worth remembering that, although Nintendo - and by extension Iwata - are renowned for making bad and counter intuitive decisions, in the last 12-24 months he had overseen fundamental shifts in how they worked; allowing their characters to be used in a theme park, plans for films with Sony and most importantly, their new plans for mobile gaming. All attempts to find new relevance, make use of their enduring brands and reach a new, wider audience.

He also introduced the Nintendo directs and had the decency to apologise publicly when they fucked up at E3 this year.

His greatest contribution will be this, though:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzMoXr-nvc0

Ignatius_S

"On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Very sad news, which I think is being reflected by the reactions - http://kotaku.com/the-video-game-community-pays-tribute-to-satoru-iwata-1717397315

Quote from: Kelvin on July 13, 2015, 02:11:28 AM....
It's also worth remembering that, although Nintendo - and by extension Iwata - are renowned for making bad and counter intuitive decisions, in the last 12-24 months he had overseen fundamental shifts in how they worked; allowing their characters to be used in a theme park, plans for films with Sony and most importantly, their new plans for mobile gaming. All attempts to find new relevance, make use of their enduring brands and reach a new, wider audience....

There is that – also, it should be remembered that Iwata oversaw the DS and Wii period.

Re: Sony films – there were discussions, but it doesn't look like anything is going to happen, based on current information.

Pdine

I know Kelvin just linked to it, but:

Thursday

It's hard not to be affected by this, even as someone who never really had much attachment to Nintendo games.

As pointed out on Twitter, a CEO that took a massive pay cut rather than fire employees. And he's the one that dies at 55. There really is no justice.

The Masked Unit

Seemed like an absolute gent; what a sad loss. I wonder if Miyamoto will take over the CEO role.

Kelvin

This is one of the sweetest and more bizarre tributes I've seen for Iwata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am1IFNPaVV0

The Masked Unit

This guy's gonna be gutted.

Kelvin

Anyone here got Yoshi's Woolly World? Like so many of the first party games on this wonderful, under-rated console, it's the best game in the series for over a decade. A soundtrack so good I have to listen to it without distractions in the background, levels that start easy, become increasingly tricky and become absolute bastards if you're trying to unlock all the secret stages and extras, and a gorgeous design aesthetic. Every level uses the "fabric" concept in such clever ways. Characters are made up of twine and buttons; trees have springs for branches, launching you into the sky; clouds hang from threads; sequin stars and snowy peaks in the distance that are really just bobble hats. Even the Aurora Borealis is depicted as a shimmering piece of satin.

It's amongst the most endearing, charming and uplifting games I can think of. The kind of game that just makes me grin throughout whole levels and sing along to the music and generally love every minute of unlocking a yoshi that looks like a cow or satsuma. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhue9gEyUJo

Penfold

I've got it, I like it.

I'm progressing slowly due to time and I'm trying to collect everything before moving on. I think I'm only on World 2. The special World 1 stage took a lot out of me.

In other news, Splatoon is depressing me, I can't buy a win. Currently level 9 but my last match ended with my team only managing to cover 8.9% of the map.

Suddenly everyone is level 30+.

Also lost the latest Splatfest but I like the things that add slots to your gear.

kittens

just got yoshi as a birthday treat thanks to these recommendations
it better be good or you've ruined my birthday

Onken

Banjo Kazooie ruined my 16th birthday. I'll never forgive Rare.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Banjo Kazooie was great!

Having read the reviews, looking forward to Mario Maker more than I thought I would... If I can get the internet working again!

EFB

Kelvin

Quote from: Onken on September 04, 2015, 08:21:04 AM
Banjo Kazooie ruined my 16th birthday. I'll never forgive Rare.

Are absolutely mad. You didn't like the original Banjo Kazooie?

People like you don't deserve games.

People like you don't deserve a head.

popcorn

Quote from: The Masked Unit on July 13, 2015, 10:01:12 PM
This guy's gonna be gutted.

I always thought that creepy nerd dungeon looked kinda cool. I wouldn't mind holing up in there for a weekend Zelda marathon. Do a lot of thinking.

kittens

yoshi is great. best birthday ever

Kelvin

Glad you like it, kittens. Bear in mind it's pretty easy if you just run from the start to end of each level, but the game difficulty ramps up considerably if you try and unlock all the characters and secret levels, by collecting all the stuff in each level. I've just unlocked the super secret final stage in the game and in keeping with all of Nintendo's recent last secret stages (Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario 3D World, for example), it's an absolute cunt.   

kittens

oh man. i never got past the very first part of the final bastard level of 3d world. i'm trying to get all the hidden things and it is difficult, even on the first level

Kelvin

Quote from: kittens on September 04, 2015, 02:04:55 PM
oh man. i never got past the very first part of the final bastard level of 3d world. i'm trying to get all the hidden things and it is difficult, even on the first level

In fairness, the final level of 3D World is probably the single hardest level Nintendo have ever made in anything ever. It's unbelievable how frustrating it is to complete. And then you have to do it with 5 characters! Jesus.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Taken the plunge and ordered Mario Maker after reading this article about it. http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/the-terrific-super-mario-maker-teased-me-into-making-my-own-game-but-it-went-terribly-000

Hope it fits through my letterbox as I have a free evening on Friday.

Kelvin

I've been convinced ever since I saw you could add your own sound clips.

Cant wait to build a level which calls you a cunt ever time you kill something.