Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:51:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Wii U thread

Started by Beagle 2, October 01, 2014, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

madhair60

I think the levels with custom sounds can't be uploaded to the server thingy.

As someone who's spent a lot - a LOT - of time making levels in Super Mario Bros X, this is simultaneously extremely exciting and totally underwhelming.  No vertical scrolling?  No slopes?  :(

I understand how niche SMBX is and how unreasonable a position this is as a result.

Onken

Tatsumi Kimishima,  65.

They didn't go with someone a little more youthful to take charge and lead them in a new direction.

Benjaminos

But he does have a head like a Goomba.

Onken

The more I look at him. I see this resemblance.

Onken

Nintendo delays Star Fox Zero to 2016

Can we all collectively throw our Wii U's in the bin?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/18/9350535/star-fox-zero-wii-u-delayed

Kelvin

Quote from: Onken on September 19, 2015, 11:08:06 AM
Nintendo delays Star Fox Zero to 2016

Can we all collectively throw our Wii U's in the bin?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/18/9350535/star-fox-zero-wii-u-delayed

Why? I love the games on mine. Best Nintendo console since the N64, if you ask me.

EFB

Onken

Christmas 2015 Games Line-up

- Skylanders
- Lego Dimensions
- Just Dance 2016
- Mario Tennis
- Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nothing I could give a shite about. No wonder its Nintendo's worst ever selling console.

Quote from: Kelvin on September 19, 2015, 04:35:32 PMBest Nintendo console since the N64, if you ask me.

Wii U over the GameCube? Mate.

Kelvin

Quote from: Onken on September 19, 2015, 06:34:38 PM
Christmas 2015 Games Line-up

- Skylanders
- Lego Dimensions
- Just Dance 2016
- Mario Tennis
- Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nothing I could give a shite about. No wonder its Nintendo worst ever selling console.

It's a bad line up for Christmas and I suppose I'm more forgiving as I still have to finish the Metroid prime trilogy re-release, Mario Maker and am looking forward to Xenoblade.

Wii U over the GameCube? Mate.

Gamecube had better 2nd/3rd party support[nb]Not difficult[/nb], but wii U has better first party games. Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart game ever, I reckon. Mario 3D world and Mario Maker are both superior to Mario Sunshine. The original release of Wind Waker is a game I love enormously, but is clearly massively flawed - it's HD remastering is superior in almost every way. Pikmin 3 (Wii U) is the best Pikmin game. Yoshi's Woolly World is the best Yoshi game since the original game on SNES. Smash Bros Wii U... Well, it's the best Smash Bros. game since the Gamecube game and both are superb.

Throw in Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze and my favourite Wii U game, Splatoon and I'd say it's a superior line up to Gamecube. All we're missing is a Metroid game, which for me was the stand out of the Gamecube era[nb]and in my top 5 games of all time, probably.[/nb].

Nintendo have consistently made superb first party games, though. I love both consoles.

Onken

I don't agree with your way over comparing different generations. Obviously GTA V is better than Vice City because of improvements in gameplay mechanics and the technology. That doesn't automatically mean the PS3 is a superior system to the PS2 in the impact it had on the games industry.

Kelvin

Quote from: Onken on September 19, 2015, 07:36:02 PM
I don't agree with your way over comparing different generations. Obviously GTA V is better than Vice City because of improvements in gameplay mechanics and the technology. That doesn't automatically mean the PS3 is a superior system to the PS2 in the impact it had on the games industry.

I'm not doing that, though[nb]With the exception of Windwaker HD, so we'll discount that.[/nb]. I think that the overall games are more cohesive and satisfying than their Gamecube iterations.

Kelvin

Just a wee bump to say that if you hadn't planned to play it, Xenoblade Chronicles X is an amazing game, and actually close to be my game of the year. It seems incredibly daunting at first, but once you get past the initial learning curve, it's one of the most fun open world games I've played in years. The world itself is comfortably as big as Skyrim, but with far more varied and beautiful environments and some brilliant creature design. Very highly recommend it.

Johnny Textface

I'd it something you have to dedicate hours and hours to?

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Kelvin it seems like every time you play a new game on your Wii U you say it is the best game ever.

madhair60

Nintendo fans innit.  Always like this.  Often correct, too, which is obviously staggeringly frustrating.

"Fuck up about Mario"

"It is literally the best game though isn't it"

"YES FOR FUCK'S SAKE"

Kelvin

Quote from: Johnny Textface on December 14, 2015, 07:58:09 AM
I'd it something you have to dedicate hours and hours to?

Yeah, it's a huge open world game, with hundreds of missions. Just to complete the core story missions you'd need to play for 50-60 hours, I imagine. Looking at it, you might assume it's a traditional JRPG[nb]I say that as someone whose never played a JRPG, but just assumed that's what it was like based on what little I know about them.[/nb], but it doesn't have random battles, turn based combat or too much grinding. I've actually been impressed by how quickly you rank up by just taking missions and doing normal tasks. You don't have to set out to fight monsters for half an hour just to level up.

Kelvin

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on December 14, 2015, 08:43:14 AM
Kelvin it seems like every time you play a new game on your Wii U you say it is the best game ever.

Ha, I honestly thought someone might point that out. I've said it about Smash Bros (which genuinely is my favourite game series of all time), then Splatoon, which was my favourite game on Wii U until Mario Maker came out. Now I can't decide if I like Mario Maker or Xenoblade X more.

In my defense, I've played games between them which I haven't thought were much cop. New Super Mario Bros Wii U, for example. I've just been motivated to post when I play something I really enjoy and as I said upthread, I honestly think the Wii U might be Nintendo's second best console. The first and second party games are all so good, even compared to Nintendo's usual standard.

Quote from: madhair60 on December 14, 2015, 10:24:27 AM
Nintendo fans innit.

Nah, I just like good games. I was the same when I played great games on PC.

I literally, and sadly, have no interest in any of the games on the Wii U nor the Etch-A-Sketch controller or making my own levels on Mario. I absolutely adored the Wii, it got me back into gaming and the DS is arguably the best ever gaming machine, but even for a hundred quid, second hand, there's not one game I'm interested in playing on this. I guess I don't care much for MK, Smash or Pikmin and there's no Mario, Zelda or Metroid. Maybe I'm missing out.

lazarou

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 14, 2015, 09:28:24 PM
I guess I don't care much for MK, Smash or Pikmin and there's no Mario, Zelda or Metroid. Maybe I'm missing out.
I think I might've mentioned this here before, but Mario 3D World is the proper follow-up to Galaxy. On the surface it might look like an expanded version of the 3DS game, but the basic design's been comprehensively fleshed out and given the full mario treatment by the team who worked on Galaxy. It's an excellent game.

Onken

I never finished the first Galaxy on the Wii because I found it too easy and contained no challenge. When you're beating every level on your first attempt you question why you're even playing it. Thats when you say to yourself hang on a minute maybe I'm a bit old for this stuff now. The same goes for those Ratchet & Clank games.

Kelvin

Quote from: Onken on December 14, 2015, 11:24:41 PM
I never finished the first Galaxy on the Wii because I found it too easy and contained no challenge. When you're beating every level on your first attempt you question why you're even playing it. Thats when you say to yourself hang on a minute maybe I'm a bit old for this stuff now. The same goes for those Ratchet & Clank games.

Mario games tend to be very easy, up to the point that you complete the final boss and then you unlock a whole bunch of secret stages and challenges that are significantly harder. Purples comet challenges, secret levels and worlds. The final secret stage in Mario 3d World is stupidly difficult. Even as someone whose played Mario games his whole life, it took hundreds of attempts for me to complete it.

colacentral

I was the same with thinking Mario Galaxy was too easy, but there are two things I want to mention. One is that Galaxy at some point suddenly gets loads better, more challenging and more satisfying. I can't remember exactly when as it's been years now but I know that it was worth it in the end. The second thing I would mention is that Mario Galaxy 2 is much more challenging than Galaxy 1 and I think better than it in every way. Mario Galaxy 2 is my favourite Mario game and one of the greatest games of all time; it's a master class in level design. Those two games alone made me glad I bought a wii.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on December 14, 2015, 08:48:33 PM
Nah, I just like good games. I was the same when I played great games on PC.

I don't think I got my point across there sorry.

We have a Wii U and love it to death.  Smash Bros, 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Tekken Tag, etc. Unfuckwithable.

Was making a joke about Nintendo fans always bigging up Nintendo, obvs (which is true :p) and usually being 100% correct (also true).

madhair60

Smash Direct at 10pm.  I'm excited.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on December 15, 2015, 03:48:32 PM
Smash Direct at 10pm.  I'm excited.

Yep. Seeing as they managed to get Ryu and Cloud, it hard not to hope for something similarly impressive for the final character announcements.

Consignia

Quote from: Kelvin on December 15, 2015, 04:03:21 PM
Yep. Seeing as they managed to get Ryu and Cloud, it hard not to hope for something similarly impressive for the final character announcements.

It'll be a Mercedes car. Like they did for Mario Kart and Mario Maker.

Onken

Minecraft out on Thursday. It will sell well to Wii U owners but its too late to move consoles.