Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:43:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A new Wii U thread

Started by Beagle 2, October 01, 2014, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

madhair60

I got it from them for £3 a few months back and yeah, well worth it.

Consignia

Quote from: Kelvin on October 24, 2014, 04:16:47 PM

Also the stage builder finally shows the true creative potential for the gamepad, with anything you draw on it becoming solid. Epic battles on top of a huge jizzing cock? Yes please.

Isn't there that Mario game which has a level designer in it? That looks like it would similar in creative fun. 1000's of cocks for Mario to jump on.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on October 24, 2014, 05:10:24 PM
Isn't there that Mario game which has a level designer in it? That looks like it would similar in creative fun. 1000's of cocks for Mario to jump on.

Yeah, I assume you mean Mario Maker, which was shown at the last E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLS458ekSEI

It doesn't actually show people drawing things on the gamepad in the way the smash bros level designer does, though. If you watch the video I posted, its not just assets, but literally rendering your sketches.

Just imagine having that as a child growing up.

You could draw slightly less sophisticated pictures of cocks for Mario to jump on.

Kelvin

God knows why Nintendo haven't been pushing features like that from the start. Smash bros is the first game which really seems to use the wii u gamepad for well integrated creative purposes.

On top of the genuinely impressive level designing stuff, there's also this feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKEXC-8fKXo&list=UUfAPTv1LgeEWevG8X_6PUOQ

...allowing you to draw all over in game photographs, which looks pretty good fun and a considerable step up from the pictures you can draw on other wii u games.

Spiral King

If you haven't already: Buy Bayonetta 1 and 2 on the Wii U. You can thank me later.

Onken

It's pretty good this New Super Mario Bros. The art style is so adorable that I feel a right idiot for dying.

My Mum was watching me play and I said this is far too easy. Then I lost seven lives on one of the early castles.

I can't remember when the 3 coins and saves items are for.

Kelvin

You think that's bad, maybe avoid Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. :)

That game is a grade A cunt. I'm playing through it for the first time at the moment and it's yet another gorgeous, beautifully made Nintendo platformer that just oozes quality at every turn. But by Christ is it hard. It took me over 20 lives to kill one of the later bosses and most of the stages after world 2 require similar levels of focus and concentration to flying a jet fighter.

If I had one complaint, it's that despite playing like a more refined, harder and unquestionably better version of the original Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES, it definitely lacks those game's sense of humour and charm. The enemies are all pretty forgettable and even characters like Cranky Kong have been stripped of their personality and quirky Rareware humour by the new developers at Retro Studios.

It's a small complaint and maybe one that wouldn't even be noticed by someone that hasn't played the originals, but to me, it stands out as my only major issue with the new series.

On the other hand, when you're playing levels as imaginative as this every other stage, its hard to complain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPCwIaOOVs

In fact, if anything, watching that video highlights that my complaint about "charm" is a comparative thing. Levels like this ooze personality. It's just a different style than the Rareware games I grew up with. 

Kelvin

Just to add that I am absolutely loving my wii U at the moment. Every (admittedly first-party) game I play on it seems to have such great gameplay and design and I'm glad that I waited a while to get one as I now have a decent backlog of quality games to work through, as well.

It's really highlighted to me, after a few years away from Nintendo, mostly playing games on PC, that the company still does a certain type of game better than almost anyone else out there.

Kelvin

The music in Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze is absolutely wonderful, so I wasn't surprised to learn that it's composed by the guy who did the beautiful soundtrack for the original SNES game and most famously, the Aquatic Ambiance theme.

Here are a couple of the gorgeous tunes he wrote for the new game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7izjoLxqOCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWvJPdS8FJ4

weekender

Quote from: Kelvin on October 30, 2014, 01:08:36 AM
You think that's bad, maybe avoid Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. :)

That game is a grade A cunt. I'm playing through it for the first time at the moment and it's yet another gorgeous, beautifully made Nintendo platformer that just oozes quality at every turn. But by Christ is it hard. It took me over 20 lives to kill one of the later bosses and most of the stages after world 2 require similar levels of focus and concentration to flying a jet fighter.

I don't disagree with this, but it's worth pointing out that the sensation of finally completing a bastard hard level having finally got all the KONG letters and the puzzle pieces is fucking great.

Kelvin

Absolutely, weekender. It's great fun and I'd recommend it to any fan of platformers who doesn't mind a reasonable challenge.

In other wii-nUws: 8 new Mario Kart tracks launch this week! Three of the tracks are based on classic Nintendo titles:
Spoiler alert
Excitebike
[close]
Spoiler alert
Legend of Zelda
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
F-Zero
[close]
. In particular, the
Spoiler alert
F-Zero
[close]
track looks gooooorgeous.

weekender

Shit, is that this week?

I still haven't got three stars on every course yet, which is starting to prove rather irritating.

Kelvin

New Mario Kart tracks, characters and karts are out, for those of you who are interested.

madhair60

I got a proper go on the Wii U the other week - finally - and I was very impressed by it except the battery life on the gamepad seems fucking woeful.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: madhair60 on November 13, 2014, 11:17:41 AM
I got a proper go on the Wii U the other week - finally - and I was very impressed by it except the battery life on the gamepad seems fucking woeful.

It's certainly not good - the Wii U Pro controller, on the other hand, has brilliant battery life (80 hours, I think). However, personally, one thing that I have found useful about the Gamepad's battery life is that when a full charge has gone, it was a great reminder to take a break – there have been a few games that I had no idea I had been playing that long!

I've found the Gamepad is very quick to charge up and one thing I that I've found is helpful (I picked up this from another forum) is to keep the charging cradle nearby and to place the pad when I can (e.g. loading screens). Admittedly, that does sound extremely obvious but I hadn't realised how often you might put the controller down during a session (e.g. loading screens, replying to a text).

Also, there is a higher-capacity available (I think it's usually around £20) and offers about 8 hours (as opposed to 3-4). I'll get round to getting one sometime, but although the standard battery life is something that I think could very much be improved upon, it hasn't been a big problem for me and I've found playing with the (sensibly long) charging cable to be fine. Thinking about it, because I had heard the battery life was, I found it better than I was expecting!

Onken

You just have to be religious about putting it back in it's little stand after a session. The last few evenings I've used the pad to play New Super Mario Bros while I've had a film playing on the TV. It's nice to have a household handheld and not hog the big screen for everyone else.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Onken on November 13, 2014, 11:35:29 AM
You just have to be religious about putting it back in it's little stand after a session...

Also, if the Wii U is on, but you're not using the GamePad.

Johnny Textface

Also you can plug the charge lead directly into the pad or the cradle - which I thought was a nice little touch.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Johnny Textface on November 13, 2014, 11:44:15 AM
Also you can plug the charge lead directly into the pad or the cradle - which I thought was a nice little touch.

Yes and as I mentioned, the charging cable was sensibly long - I've had to problems playing when it's plugged in.

Johnny Textface

So who's up for some DLC action tonight? What are everyones id's - or have we already done this?

I'm Crisphell

Kelvin

Good idea. I'm KelvinRules.

By the way, Johnny, you're man shouting "Tits!" at me, never ceases to make me smile.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I will but I don't know my ID offhand...

Onken

I haven't a clue of mine either. It's probably sparced same as PSN.

I'll be up for some Mario Kart tournaments over the Christmas. Not right now.

Kelvin

Love the new tracks. Favorites have to be the Excitebike stage and the new ice level with duel interweaving tracks, with the beautiful F-Zero track close behind. In fact the only track I'm not particularly impressed by is the Yoshi one, which is really just a very ordinary lap around an island, with no visual or gameplay bells and whistles. If the other 8 tracks turn out to be this good, the £11 for all 16 will be excellent value for money.

syntaxerror

I will be checking out the new tracks over the weekend most likely. Looks good.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers