Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:28:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jamie Cullum - Talented Or Tosser?

Started by TJ, September 03, 2004, 02:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

As above. I just can't decide.

On the one hand, his bland MOR covers are complete and utter drivel. On the other, his reworking of 'And The Wind Cries Mary' is sublime, and the lyrics to 'Twentysomething' and 'I Want To Be A Popstar' are top stuff.

A 1993-era Jamiroquai for the wine bar set, or a shopping centre pianist elevated above his station?

Quote from: "TJ"On the other, his reworking of 'And The Wind Cries Mary' is sublime

The Artists Formerly Known As Lard said that that was possibly the worst thing he'd ever heard.  The very idea of it was enough for me, I've given it a wide berth.  However, as you've recommended it, perhaps I should give it a go.  The stuff I've heard is horrible, so I'm not rushing towards the experience.

My mum likes it though.

Jemble Fred

Don't think I'd ever buy an album by him, but I generally enjoy his stuff if it pops up on radio or TV. He seems quite sorted psychologically as well, for someone so young and successful.

He should stop tapping his piano and hire a drummer thugh.

Gazeuse

He is clearly talented.

There are much better out there though. See what a record company can do???

Borboski

I don't think he's any better than Joss Stone or Katie Melue, but I do think he's better than Michael Buble or Amy Winhouse.

I still like Michael Ball to be honest.

Quote from: "Borboski"I don't think he's any better than Joss Stone

I think she's terrific and yers can all fuck off.  I really like that messin' with mah myyyyyynd one.

Jemble Fred

I agree. And if I were ten years younger... Eurgh. I can't believe I said that. Sorry.

It's what we were all thinking.  The difference being that I'm not feeling guilty about it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"It's what we were all thinking.  The difference being that I'm not feeling guilty about it.

Nope, I wasn't thinking that and that's why I'm feeling guilty...

BetaKarraTene

Can't say I enjoy him, although Amy Winehouse is meant to be good and I can't seem to enjoy her either.  Maye I'm just not sophisticated enough for this jazz lark.

Ver Cullum is apparently on the new Handsome Boy Modelling School album, which has got a lot of their fans very annoyed.

Lumiere

I liked his cover of Nice Dream, and that's about all I've heard from him. He looks like a twat when he sings though.

Oddly, I have a mate who's completely mental about extreme music (I'm talking Berzerker, Dying Fetus, Mayhem, etc.), but he loves Jamie Cullum.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "Lumiere"I liked his cover of Nice Dream, and that's about all I've heard from him. He looks like a twat when he sings though.

Oddly, I have a mate who's completely mental about extreme music (I'm talking Berzerker, Dying Fetus, Mayhem, etc.), but he loves Jamie Cullum.
Tell him to go to Ronnie scotts. He'll find many of Cullum's backing band their in their own right or with much more gifted frontmen.

Hornet

Jamie Cullum = ersatz jazz

ergo, he's a tosser

chand

It's possibly to be talented and a tosser. It's also possible to be talented and extremely dull. From what I've heard of the man Cullum he seems to at least be the latter. It's all a bit Q, innit.

Quote from: "chand"It's possibly to be talented and a tosser. It's also possible to be talented and extremely dull. From what I've heard of the man Cullum he seems to at least be the latter.

Re: the first line of wot u wrote.  Do you know I thought the exact same thing.
and I agree with everything else you put in the latter lines.

that's all really.
talented and dull.  there seem to be a lot of people around at the moment who can play their instruments...
they may be far superior musicians than a whole host of others.
in better bands.

Rats

This is the jester who murdered love cats at the brits, isn't it? Absolute tosser, he might be able to play the piano, I don't know.

Sam

Speaking of people who are clearly talented but insufferably dull, look no further than Norah Jones. She has a beautiful voice, she's very good at what she does (and she's pretty, to boot), but Christ she's dull! Give me Dianna Krall any day.

Re Cullum: A bit bland for my tastes but I understand why people dig him, and wish him every bit of success.

Quote from: "Sam"Re Cullum:  I wish him every bit of success.

Do you think he reads these boards?

If he does, I seriously think this thread should be locked down at the fastest opportunity.

Gazeuse

I had to listen to an album of his two days running over dinner while I was away for a short break.

It gave me dyspepsia.

Quote from: "Gazeuse"It gave me dyspepsia.

When really you wanted dat Pepsi, yah?

Fuck off, I'm poorly.

Having managed never to hear Cullum's version of And The Wind Cried Mary, it was forced into my ears two days running at a coffee shop and a wedding respectively.  Sublime it ain't.