Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:55:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris: Raw Meat Radio - BBC Radio 4 Extra, 29th November

Started by Neil, October 07, 2014, 09:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Less than 9 minutes long. Dagnammit Morris, up your blood work rate!

Spiral King

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 01, 2014, 06:31:34 PM

I suspect (or hope) this is a deleted idea/scene from a larger project. At least, that's how it seems to be phrased.

anal_footing

Thomas

Quote from: Spiral King on December 01, 2014, 06:50:22 PM
I suspect (or hope) this is a deleted idea/scene from a larger project. At least, that's how it seems to be phrased.

This is how it was described back in 2011 -

QuoteNow Noel [Fielding] is returning to radio, with a project he's been working on with Chris Morris and Richard Ayoade. At the time of writing it consists of six ten minute programmes which have been written by all three, performed by Noel and Ayoade, and produced by Morris (still in progress). The series has been five years in the making due to the trio's busy schedules and Noel is "very proud" of them.

http://thevelvetonion.com/2011/11/03/radio-past-and-future/

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 01, 2014, 06:31:34 PM

This is his first new thing since Four Lions, isn't it? He's becoming the Dr. Dre of comedy. Being a perfectionist is great, but this is ridiculous.

Thomas

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 01, 2014, 09:56:20 PM
This is his first new thing since Four Lions, isn't it?

Well, to be fair to the lad, he's been directing Veep and script editing for Comedy Vehicle, as well as doing about three hours semi-improvised stuff with Stewart Lee for the latter. He was in The Double last year, too.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Thomas on December 01, 2014, 09:59:24 PM
Well, to be fair to the lad, he's been directing Veep and script editing for Comedy Vehicle, as well as doing about three hours semi-improvised stuff with Stewart Lee for the latter. He was in The Double last year, too.

Oh, that's right. Sorry, Chris. Carry on.

Double doesn't count. He was in it for a good 15 seconds. No movement in the camera and two lighting major lighting set ups. 5 hours shooting at most.

He was good in it though for what it was.

soraya

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 01, 2014, 09:56:20 PM
This is his first new thing since Four Lions, isn't it? He's becoming the Dr. Dre of comedy. Being a perfectionist is great, but this is ridiculous.

Morris also began slamming a woman's leg and the right side of her body repeatedly against a wall near the stairway as his bodyguard held off the crowd. After Morris  tried to throw her down the stairs and failed, he began kicking her in the ribs and hands. She escaped and ran into the women's rest room. Morris followed her and grabbed her from behind by the hair and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head??

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Thomas on December 01, 2014, 09:59:24 PM

I know where you're coming from, but I wish he was working on another series or movie. I struggle to believe that funding could really be an issue given his reputation and hey, if worst came to the worst he could partially crowd fund the fucker or something. That or just give an interview saying he's just fucking about now, doing bits and pieces that he wants to, but nothing substantial, and may well spend the rest of his life knitting a big scarf. It's the not knowing that hurts!

Quote from: soraya on December 01, 2014, 10:19:16 PM
Morris also began slamming a woman's leg and the right side of her body repeatedly against a wall near the stairway as his bodyguard held off the crowd. After Morris  tried to throw her down the stairs and failed, he began kicking her in the ribs and hands. She escaped and ran into the women's rest room. Morris followed her and grabbed her from behind by the hair and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head??
That's defamation of character and I claim my reperations.

I am Chris Morris and have been waiting for one of you libelous snakes to trip up.

The Roofdog

What a treat that was. That Neil Cookdandbombd is a great bunch of lads. Made me wish I had a cassette player so I could listen to OTH & Why Bother, my tapes of which I can't bring myself to throw away.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I loved the interview at about 40 minutes in, you can sense Morris constantly skirting on the boundaries of the conversation trying to expand it and move it onto tangents where the other person didn't want to be.

Also some hilarious mention of "Wendy and Lisa", beneficiaries of Prince Charles' nurturing young talent. What on earth was Morris alluding to?

DJ Solid Snail

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 02, 2014, 10:52:48 PM
Also some hilarious mention of "Wendy and Lisa", beneficiaries of Prince Charles' nurturing young talent. What on earth was Morris alluding to?

Protégés of the pop star Prince. He almost got caught out there. Incidentally was that bit an extended snippet of that interview, or have I just not listened to that music show in a while?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah that's neat and typically Morrisian. Kind of spoils the notion of him plucking two names from thin air to make some vague allusion to sex abuse, that I had thought of.

Beagle 2

Quote from: justin_bennett on December 01, 2014, 05:55:22 PM
Listened to the full thing today and it is glorious.  An exclusive new thing on Mary Anne on Sunday as well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04tm3qb

Chris Morris says:
This is a work in progress cut from a project that was stored in a vat but still seems to be breathing or at least emitting gas.

The series is set in a care home and records a number of vexatious encounters between a new resident, Victor and his long suffering Care Manager.

It is written by Chris Morris, Noel Fielding and Richard Ayaoade and directed and produced by Chris Morris.

I saw the word Victor there and in my excitement I thought 'OMG he's done a radio show with Victor Lewis Smith!"

Which is not a thing that would happen.

pish

Several hats off to everyone involved in this. So pleased that the R1 shows content was given the "centerpiece" status it deserves. Disappointed that the final two lines in the Johnnie Walker clip were excised (CM: "..skull-fuck him.." PB: "WHAAT!?!") but hey, you can't have everything.

Three hours were nowhere near enough though - come on 4exTrA, let's make Boxing Day 2014 a Chris Morris R1 shows 20th anniversary.. er.. day!

Hmm. Perhaps a bit late for that particular date but, now that fourXTra has shown it's not averse to a bit of classic CM, I wonder: is that an achievable goal? A compilation of R1 content as chosen/suggested by us lot, put forward for a wider vote, spread across a few hours one day. Or something.

"That's a good time to catch the castle wandering around having a wank"
"Is he looking? .. Yes .. Peter, can you hear me? ... Yeah, I can't hear you though"
"Eat it Bates ... I'll eat some after the show"
"When you come out on stage, how do you deal with your dreadful cheesiness?"
"Is this cross-referencing now? Look under F... Film and TV? ... NO... The Way In? ... NO"
"I'm looking for a cross between a shirt and a shoe"
"Tell them there are bees flying out of the coin... Why've they got bees?!"
"I'm saying that they're GETTING UP WRONG... Where have you come from?!"
"Hello, Poquoy"
"You got the name? ... Wayne Carr?"
"Hawking... HAWKING."
"The stammering tramp... what's that? I can't make out what your saying, which is a shame 'cos my pockets are full"
"I know you don't usually do requests but I feel sure that this story will MAKE YOU DO IT... I am a love-worm. I am a love-worm"

God. Where would we start?

Thomas

Quote from: pish on December 03, 2014, 11:44:27 PM
"I'm saying that they're GETTING UP WRONG... Where have you come from?!"

It's 'what are you tryna do?' that gets me.

Shaky

About an hour in and the content is brilliant, obviously, but I don't think I'm ever going to be a fan of Mary Ann Hobbs. That breathy voice.

Cleaners From Venus

Not only a credit for the Raw Meat material, but also a link to this site in today's Guardian. Congrats, Neil!

neveragain

Yes, this was terrific. I don't know what else to say.
Except that it was the edited edition of that episode of On The Hour. I remember certain bits kindly reinstated for a download I acquired, including an addition to the posh explorer character who talked of 'rhinocerids' and probably some Monsignor Treeb Lopez. Shame but still a cracking episode; the Chinnywag, 'bloodbath bubble bath' et al.

As mentioned above, I did find it really strange that Morris duped Stringfellow twice. Man must be an absolute imbecile. (The latter)

Hangthebuggers

Just about an hour in. Brilliant. Thanks to all involved.

Pinball

Quote from: Spiral King on December 01, 2014, 06:50:22 PM
So what was this like? At what time point was it played in Mary Anne Hobbs' Sunday show?

Joy Nktonga

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on December 09, 2014, 04:26:02 PM
Read the other thread Pinners; Morris chickened out.

Optimistic POV: We'll hear it in the wider context of the series, and it'll make much more sense.
Pessimistic POV: We'll never, ever hear it and it'll be one of those things that seemingly vanishes into dust.

Joy Nktonga

I'm with you on both opt. and pess. Absolutely agree. I was being tongue in cheek, but perhaps there's a tiny element of truth in there too. I dunno. I'm going to stop writing now and

Spiral King

Maybe Morris isn't particualrly proud of it. If it is terrible (and come on, Ayoade and Fielding are usually the main ingredients in "terrible"), I'd rather not hear it and wait for a project he actually does want to show us.

Pinball

What other Blue Jam-like radio shows are there? The nearest I can think of were some of the darker Milk Run shows on Radio 1 e.g. with Andrew Lawrence sketches, which would appropriately fit in the category of 'dark'. Has Radio 1 done anything similar more recently?

It's a shame that comedy doesn't have the balls of Blue Jam anymore, with a few exceptions.

Spiral King

Quote from: Pinball on December 14, 2014, 03:32:56 PM
What other Blue Jam-like radio shows are there? The nearest I can think of were some of the darker Milk Run shows on Radio 1 e.g. with Andrew Lawrence sketches, which would appropriately fit in the category of 'dark'. Has Radio 1 done anything similar more recently?

It's a shame that comedy doesn't have the balls of Blue Jam anymore, with a few exceptions.

I haven't looked extensively, but I've just given in to scratching my itch by deciding to watch all of David Lynch's films. Not very funny, but I suspect it will make me quite uncomfortable. Which is great.