Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris: Raw Meat Radio - BBC Radio 4 Extra, 29th November

Started by Neil, October 07, 2014, 09:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petey Pate

Quote from: Pinball on December 14, 2014, 03:32:56 PM
What other Blue Jam-like radio shows are there?

There's Gelmania, a podcast created by American comedian Brett Gelman, which shares some stylistic qualities. All the episodes are no longer available on the Earwolf website but can still be found online if you look around.

TJ

Quote from: Pinball on December 14, 2014, 03:32:56 PM
What other Blue Jam-like radio shows are there? The nearest I can think of were some of the darker Milk Run shows on Radio 1 e.g. with Andrew Lawrence sketches, which would appropriately fit in the category of 'dark'. Has Radio 1 done anything similar more recently?

It's a shame that comedy doesn't have the balls of Blue Jam anymore, with a few exceptions.

On a purely stylistic level, on Radio 1 itself there was The League Against Tedium, The Pod and Vic Reeves Is Cock Of The Wood. The former is fantastic, the middle one amusing for one listen, and the latter... no. It's also worth checking out Mark Radcliffe's old show Out On Blue Six, which Morris told me was one of the single biggest influences on Blue Jam (especially when it was originally going to be a 'straight' DJ show), and its short-lived companion show Skyman, but they sure ain't 'dark'.

Radio 4 had a go at doing a couple of similarly inclined shows circa 2004, the names of which escape me for now, but which had the likes of Julian Clary and Tamsin Grieg reading out self-written stories about late-night encounters over ambient backings.

Quote from: TJ on December 24, 2014, 09:14:36 PM
... The Pod

I remember accidentally catching the end of that Pod Christmas Special when it went out on Radio 1 quite late at night as part of some Chris Moyles all-dayer thing.

Keep thinking I wouldn't mind hearing it again, but there's barely any mention of it at all on the entire internet, let alone a rip of it anywhere.  All I can remember about it is Julian Barrett talking bollocks over some squelchy techno noises, an interview with Brian Eno and the fact that it ended with a load of shouting.

TJ

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on December 24, 2014, 09:35:02 PM
I remember accidentally catching the end of that Pod Christmas Special when it went out on Radio 1 quite late at night as part of some Chris Moyles all-dayer thing.

Keep thinking I wouldn't mind hearing it again, but there's barely any mention of it at all on the entire internet, let alone a rip of it anywhere.  All I can remember is Julian Barrett talking bollocks over some squelchy techno noises and an interview with Brian Eno.

Yeah, I think it didn't even state a timeslot in the Radio Times; I spoke to The Pod (Julian Barratt and Tim Hope) when I was writing the book about Radio 1 comedy, and they were very proud of the show but still a bit pissed off even then about the lack of promotion. Waen Shepherd (aka Gary Le Strange) was also involved. I have a ropey MP3 of it somewhere, which I did from a Live Stream pilot Radio 1 were running at the time, which I'll dig out at some point. There was some good material in there, particularly the documentary about Big Beat evolving into 'Huge Beat'.

Yeah, I've got that Fun At One book.  It's very good.
Would be curious to hear that Pod mp3 at some point if you do manage to find it.  Ta.

WesterlyWinds

Joy Nktonga

I'm just uploading it to Dropbox now WW. Back in a tick with the link.

EDIT: Here it is (right click - save as, or your browser's equivalent command): https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqx5dxj7uph7h7p/Raw_Meat_Radio_-_b04sp5pq_default.m4a?dl=0

It's in m4a format and is a straight rip from get_iplayer so still includes opening and closing links.

Spiral King

Quote from: Thomas on January 03, 2015, 10:24:44 PM
A Chris Morris Christmas 'card' -

https://twitter.com/shiveringgoat/status/551155509861302273

Hahaha, that's great. I would probably play good money for an Art Book of Chris Morris imagery. The infamous Christmas Cards could probably merit a whole section of their own.

Thomas

I like to think that I'm fairly irreverent in my choice of greetings cards, but I've never sent a piece of slate sprayed red.

larrybob

After last Saturday's re-run, the Raw Meat Radio program is back on iPlayer for the next month. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sp5pq

kaprisky

Quote from: TJ on October 11, 2014, 09:51:31 AM
The Sound Archive really is rigorously maintained now, but it's a case of working out where the hell all this stuff had ended up beforehand. About ten years ago, there was an amazing find when it turned out that Transcription Services - a department that prepared radio stuff for overseas sales (which in those days involved pressing them onto vinyl) - still had huge chunks of The Archers from the sixties. There's proportionately very little of that left prior to the mid-eighties, so suddenly there was a massive gap filed with all manner of weird episodes covering pop festivals and rampaging 'mods' and what have you.

A purely hypothetical question - if one were to have access to the Radio Archives what would/should one be looking for? What shows/episodes would be highly sought after?

TJ

Quote from: kaprisky on November 17, 2016, 08:22:06 PM
A purely hypothetical question - if one were to have access to the Radio Archives what would/should one be looking for? What shows/episodes would be highly sought after?

From a purely personal point of view:

- Nigel Planer in character as 'neil' on Lenny Henry's Radio 1 show
- Not The Nuptials, a Not The Nine O'Clock News radio spinoff
- Editions of Studio B15 featuring Stephen Fry, Not The Nine O'Clock News, Marvin The Paranoid Android etc
- Follow That Star! (Christmas 1989 Mary Whitehouse Experience spinoff)
- The Borderline (variety show hosted by Lenny Henry and written by Linehan/Mathews)
- Manchester: So Much To Answer For (Mark Radcliffe's documentary from 1990)

I've also heard rumours of a young Victor Lewis-Smith featured as a performer on an ancient Aspects Of The Fringe...

thraxx

Quote from: kaprisky on November 17, 2016, 08:22:06 PM

Nicolas Witchell's Royal Scat Chat. 14 October 1988 episode.
Desert Island Dildos. Lisa Stansfield. 21 July 1991.

kaprisky

What about Agony Andy? Or Scraps with Iannucci?
Anything else?

TJ

Quote from: kaprisky on November 18, 2016, 02:37:28 PM
What about Agony Andy? Or Scraps with Iannucci?
Anything else?

Ooooh, that's a good one - nobody ever turned up a copy of Scraps, I don't think...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: TJ on October 11, 2014, 09:51:31 AM'Legal And Royal' is a secure vault where they keep programmes that for one reason or another they don't want people accessing without good reason...an episode of Dick And Dom In Da Bungalow.

"Morning Wood"?

Lennox

Anyone got a working download link for Raw Meat Radio?

Thanks

olliebean

Try this: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AgXfpnTa3FSsjzdADzXHEOD8KDks

Unfortunately only 128kbps as it was before iPlayer started doing 320kbps streams by default. Also I haven't edited it so there's about 3 minutes of other stuff at the end.