Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:51:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris: Raw Meat Radio - BBC Radio 4 Extra, 29th November

Started by Neil, October 07, 2014, 09:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbahnhof

Quote from: TJ on October 08, 2014, 10:11:02 PM
Any idea which two were missing Neil? Only I know that circa 2006, Show 6 (Heseltine) was in the restricted 'Legal And Royal' vault, and Show 18 (Live Bates) was held for Emergency Broadcast purposes.

They're going to play it when there's a nuclear war?

(Ah, that was the Frankie Valli episode. Yeah that might cheer people up.)

new page...

TJ

Quote from: weekender on October 10, 2014, 10:03:00 PM
Apologies if I am being simple here.

TJ - you refer to a 'Sound Archive' a few times, am I right in thinking this is basically 'the' library of BBC Radio - one by their own admission they seem to be crap at archiving?

Sorry, yes - I use all these terms so often that I forget that people aren't familiar with them. And for anyone who's wondering, 'Legal And Royal' is a secure vault where they keep programmes that for one reason or another they don't want people accessing without good reason; this ranges from the Bradford City Fire footage to The Grand Royal Knockout Tournament, a documentary about a fringe theatre troupe who sued for misrepresentation, and an episode of Dick And Dom In Da Bungalow. For all I know the Heseltine master might still be in there.

The Sound Archive really is rigorously maintained now, but it's a case of working out where the hell all this stuff had ended up beforehand. About ten years ago, there was an amazing find when it turned out that Transcription Services - a department that prepared radio stuff for overseas sales (which in those days involved pressing them onto vinyl) - still had huge chunks of The Archers from the sixties. There's proportionately very little of that left prior to the mid-eighties, so suddenly there was a massive gap filed with all manner of weird episodes covering pop festivals and rampaging 'mods' and what have you.

TJ

Quote from: sbahnhof on October 11, 2014, 08:16:57 AM
They're going to play it when there's a nuclear war?

(Ah, that was the Frankie Valli episode. Yeah that might cheer people up.)

new page...

It was originally picked out with a load of other shows to be played back on old-skool equipment if the Millennium Bug knackered the modern broadcast systems,  then Radio 1 kept it on as their official standby tape in the event of a technical disaster; 6Music might have had a dub too I think.

sbahnhof

Very interesting, thanks. I'd presumed the complaint from Valli's publicist made that segment unplayable. Glad they seemingly chose to disseminate it more!

AzureSky

BBC link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2014/48/raw-meat-radio

Chris Morris is known by most for his ground-breaking film and television work but, like most good things, he 'started on the radio'. Matthew Bannister, who suspended Morris from Radio 1, described him as 'one of the greatest talents working in British broadcasting'.
BBC Radio 4 Extra presents a three hour retrospective on Morris' work featuring original interviews with Armando Iannucci, Matthew Bannister and David Quantick. Presented by Mary Anne Hobbs.

Morris developed his anarchic and surreal style in local radio. It was at BBC Bristol and GLR that he honed his trademark technical skills and first adopted some of the sketches and personas that would later help make his name.

He went on to be responsible for some of the most exciting and innovative radio comedy ever made, including On the Hour (Radio 4) and Why Bother (Radio 3). Listeners will also be given the chance to hear Chris's Radio 1 series 'Blue Jam' when it's aired on Friday 5th Dec at 11pm on 4 Extra

Producer/Sophie Black for the BBC

BBC Radio 4 Extra Publicity

Spiral King

Was that a stealth announcement of Blue Jam Series 2 repeats in December? Radical.

Does the BBC archive these radio programs for download after a week or do you have to listen to them on the day? I'm just trying to figure out how I can get my hands on it from aaustralia.

Talulah, really!

In theory they should be available for at least a week on iplayer probably three but it can still be a bit hit and miss on that but almost 100percent sure it would be up for a week. It is usually only the 'grander' non dramatic series that get archived and are available at any time.

Just checked the schedule, it is going up on iplayer.

Thomas

As linked to by our Neil over on The Social Media -

'Exclusive teaser for Raw Meat Radio! Big thanks to Sophie Black from the BBC.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9EHF8DxrMI&list=UU66RMNyI_GVBA7auVp8fvCw

Neil

Quote from: Spiral King on November 16, 2014, 06:30:59 AM
Was that a stealth announcement of Blue Jam Series 2 repeats in December? Radical.

^ Yes, sorry.  I mentioned that weeks ago on Facebook and I think Twitter, and forgot to put it in here.

Exclusive teaser!  Many thanks again to super-producer Sophie Black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9EHF8DxrMI&feature=youtu.be

Retweet it here please, would appreciate it:
http://twitter.com/cookdandbombd/status/536662650533711873

Neil

Also, Sophie assures me that the stuff that didn't make it into the final edit (e.g; Big Spoon Baby Balloon) will be handed off to the Comedy Club, Online, and Mary Anne Hobbs, so it may be popping up there at some time.

I do hope this really gets a TON of new people into his absolutely peerless radio work.

Thomas

Oh gawd, sorry Neil, I scuttled in here ahead of you. Please don't ban me.

Lovely. I'll get my hands on it, by hell or high water. Can't waiiiiiit.

Spiral King

Quote from: Neil on November 23, 2014, 11:54:03 PM

^ Yes, sorry.  I mentioned that weeks ago on Facebook and I think Twitter, and forgot to put it in here.

Can you confirm that they're playing all six episodes? The BBC.co.uk listings say it's going to be a five episode run. Hopefully an error?

MoonDust

I really want to listen to this as it's being broadcast, and I'm annoyed that I can't. I know it'll be available online afterwards but I just think it'll feel the same.

Like watching the world cup final on Sky+.

Still, looking forward to listening to it!

Joy Nktonga

Mary-Anne Hobbs just announced a "surprise" for fans of Mr Morris on next weekend's shows. I might actually look forward to her shows for a change next week!

Morrison Lard

Will this end up on the iplayer?

I'm a bit busy tonight watching darts and drinking Cuban Rum.

Thomas

Artemis

Nestled up with a couple of tinnies and the heater on.

This is living, my friends. This is fucking living.

newbridge

Five minutes to go. They're opening up the faders as we speak.

Thomas

Cup of tea and Bourbons[nb]biscuits.[/nb] here.

Just catching the end of this radio drama, Archers in Space or whatever it is.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Thomas on November 29, 2014, 06:55:33 PM
Cup of tea and Bourbons[nb]biscuits.[/nb] here.
Not what I've been hearing of late.

Cup of drugs more like!

Artemis

Thomas

Hmmmm... On The Hour sounds a bit 'lol random' and dated now doesn't it? Alan Partridge was barely recognisable there.

Artemis

Did Mary-Anne Hobbs reference the year of broadcast for OTH? That's crucial to understand why it's so great.

newbridge

Quote from: wokeonawhalescock on November 29, 2014, 07:12:25 PM
Hmmmm... On The Hour sounds a bit 'lol random' and dated now doesn't it? Alan Partridge was barely recognisable there.

Nope

Think I probably spoke too soon there, have laughed out loud loads at the last ten minutes.   

up_the_hampipe

I apologise to anyone this may offend but... I don't like Mary Anne Hobbs.