Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:18:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I Hate The Flaming Lips

Started by alan nagsworth, October 07, 2014, 04:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

That's why today I wrote and recorded this song.

alcoholic messiah

I just wanted to chime in to express my utter astonishment at the discovery that the third tag below is only now making its Coo*Bo debut.

As you were...

ajsmith

Good work!

Here's my Flaming Lips/Soft Bulletin mentioning trilogy of songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4fPNFsf0AY

CaledonianGonzo

Until someone writes a song disparaging the F. Lips that's as good as Pilot Can At The Queer Of God I'm just not interested.

greenman

Quote from: ajsmith on October 08, 2014, 09:19:02 AM
Good work!

Here's my Flaming Lips/Soft Bulletin mentioning trilogy of songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4fPNFsf0AY

I would argue comparison to Mercury Rev making the Flaming Lips look even worse, genuinely interesting experimentation in their early days and actually had some decent songs when they came down to earth.

Blinder Data

Thanks for reminding me to listen to the Flaming Lips, who are a great band :)

http://youtu.be/l8IP3S8dxU8

That bit at 1:55, ooooooooohhhhhhh

alan nagsworth

Get the fuck out of my thread

INSTABAN

Don_Preston

The Flaming Lips EP is the only thing you need to hear. Otherwise, I agree with Nags.

alan nagsworth

Yeah fuck that Beatles cover thing. Honestly Miley is enough of a roaring success on her own and doesn't deserve to be swept up by Coyne and his fucking wacky brigade. Has anyone ever seen the film "Paprika"? The absurd parade of dreams charging down the streets wrecking everything with the guy at the helm spouting utter fucking gibberish - that's The Flaming Lips, that is. Ugh, I can only begin to imagine how absolutely dire "Benefit of Mr. Kite" featuring Maynard James Keenan will be.

Predictably, the best thing to come out of me making this song was winding up my mates who are fans of the band: "Have you ever actually properly listened to The Soft Bulletin?" Yes, more than once. It's shite. "Such a shame you don't like them, they've got some incredible lyrics and views on immortality." Someone actually said that to me, as if it's going to make a dent.

It's funny really that this cover album thing has come about, because there was anti-Beatlemania like Monks and The Residents back in the day, and I reckon I should be the one to kick off the anti-Flaming Lips Hype. Their fans are just as easy to wind up as Beatles fans as well. You'd never catch me getting wound up like that over a fucking opinion: You don't like Ween or Super Furry Animals? Alright, fine, have a nice life, who gives a shit.

lazyhour

I like "Lightning Strikes The Postman".

Puce Moment

I sang the first part of the video to myself whilst having a shit this morning.

alan nagsworth

Puce Moment

I just enjoy saying "hippy scum" whether in song form or not.

PaulTMA

Controversial, but I don't think they're quite as good as they used to be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV6XLTM5PdU

Tiny Poster

Kenny Everett doesn't seem to put as much effort in since he died.

garbed_attic

I'm just going to chip in and say though I'm not generally that fussed by the Flaming Lips, I really like Embryonic where the naff hippie sensibilities are tempered by gloominess and they wear their Pink Floyd influences on their sleeves. It's still not going to appeal to someone who finds them fundamentally annoying, but I think it contains some of their best work... maybe for others it could be like how I feel about a couple of Red Hot Chili Peppers songs ('Californication' and 'I Could Have Lied') ~ they still contain the seeds of what I hate about them, but I still think the songs are assured and interesting and basically good.

alan nagsworth

That Conan gig is so fucking tacky and boring. Lifeless, absolute dreck.

Miley has got an excellent voice though, still rate that bird.

Blinder Data

OK, that is pretty much indefensible. A pointless idea to cover Sgt Pepper's, not least in such a boring way. I dread to think what they'll be up to in ten years time - psychedelic versions of Spice Girls tracks?

But Embryonic and a bunch of their other stuff is great so they're all right in my book, mostly.