Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:08:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moonraker

Started by monkfromhavana, October 10, 2014, 10:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 03, 2015, 12:19:50 PM
there's more evidence pointing towards him being a big old grammatical idiot than not.

Completely undermined by his lyrical inventiveness with the title "Spies Like Us".

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: newbridge on January 01, 2015, 10:53:21 PM
Goldeneye is one of the best Bonds, when will all you anti-Brosnan oldies just admit it.

In their own way Brozza's films have dated just as badly as Moore's, but I was and remain a fan of his portrayal.  I dunno if the fact that Craig outclasses him is his fault, given that they're both pretty different takes on the character and that sort of strategic view is probably guided by EON rather than by acting choices.  I mean, Craig's the better actor no doubt, but he's got better material to work with.

I like the films as well.  TWINE is a goodie (Denise Richards aside), TND definitely has its moments (particularly the action scenes (bar the overly-generic shoot 'em up of the ending)) and DAD is pretty good until the action moves to Iceland and the wheels fall off completely.

studpuppet

Am I the only one who sees The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker as the Revolver/Sgt. Pepper of Bond? Could be because I saw TSWLM at the cinema when I was seven, but I'm still happy to argue the point as an adult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaunC76kPVU

CaledonianGonzo

Would that make Octopussy The White Album?

El Unicornio, mang

Goldeneye is pretty good. The problem I have with Brosnan is that he has the charisma and sophistication but doesn't convince me as a tough guy. Neither did Roger Moore, but his were so camp it didn't matter as much.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on January 05, 2015, 05:55:58 PM
Goldeneye is pretty good. The problem I have with Brosnan is that he has the charisma and sophistication but doesn't convince me as a tough guy. Neither did Roger Moore, but his were so camp it didn't matter as much.

This'll shock you, but that's actually one of the (many) reasons I don't like Daniel Craig as Bond.  He's probably the most "stacked" of all the ones we've had so far, and spends a lot of time walking out of the ocean with a six-pack or whatever, but something about him just doesn't strike me as tough.  He looks dehydrated.  He looks like a housemaster I had at school.

Connery and Dalton seemed to have a more innate toughness to them, which I think is welcome in a Bond.  Also the reason why I think Tom Hardy would make a good successor, but I almost think he's too good an actor to do it right.

studpuppet

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 05, 2015, 05:25:51 PM
Would that make Octopussy The White Album?

Octopussy is the Magical Mystery Tour film (Berkoff = Bonzos and VJ Armitraj = Ivor Cutler). I'm sure this idea has got legs!

Thomas

A View to a Kill is 'When I'm Sixty-Four'.

CaledonianGonzo

Octopussy's Garden was Ringo's finest moment.

El Unicornio, mang

I don't think Bond would approve of all this Fab Four talk

"That's as bad as listening to The Beatles without earmuffs"

CaledonianGonzo

He was more of a Miles Davis man.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

There's something magnificent about the way TSWLM takes such a ludicrous premise and (up to the last moment) plays it with a straight face. It was a big thing for me, and I think I know what you mean if you're referring to the soundtrack albums: Spy had a gorgeous big gatefold LP full of pictures of exciting moments from the film.

CaledonianGonzo

Though the premise is - as already noted - a rerun of You Only Live Twice and was used again in Moonraker.

In terms of the soundtrack, there is a Sgt Pepper-esque reprise of the title track in there.  Though seemingly sung by a coachload of rugby fans.

Noodle Lizard

I'd sort of shied away from watching the "classic" Bond films for a while because I loved them so much when I was a pre-teen and figured the more cynical and judgmental outlook I've since evolved would ruin those memories somewhat.  But I just rewatched Goldfinger for the first time in at least ten years and remembered exactly why I liked those early Bond films so much as a kid and my opinion hasn't really changed.  They're just plain good, I'm not sure there's a spy film (let alone franchise) which I prefer.  Bond films appeal to kids as well as adults in a way films like The Bourne franchise couldn't even hope to do.  They're just incredibly fun.

Of course there are bits which have dated a bit oddly (and yes, Bond does essentially force the (implied) lesbian out of Pussy Galore with his magic cock) but I think the style of it is more or less timeless.  The DB5 looks cooler than any other "awesome car" in any movie since, including the later Bond films.  Really liked it, and I'll be revisiting some of the others soon.

CaledonianGonzo

Fandom, though.  If you love the concept, you can forgive the flaws.

CaledonianGonzo

This might be of interest to fans of John Barry's superb soundtrack for Moonraker:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording

Dex Sawash

Watched Live and let die recently. Was struck by the blaxsploitation element. They did lampoon the Louisiana rednecks too, to be fair.  Always remembered it as one of my top Bonds, not so sure now.

Jim_MacLaine

I think it's fair to say Eon were not adverse to a bit of bandwagon jumping, hence the blaxploitation of Live and Let Die and post Star Wars lazer battles in Moonraker.

Blumf

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 27, 2015, 03:46:04 AM
Watched Live and let die recently. Was struck by the blaxsploitation element.

Add in the fact that Bond's usual little PPK doesn't get much use in this film, James taking a much larger Smith & Wesson Model 29 for the rescue of Solitaire.

Kane Jones

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 12, 2015, 08:17:33 PM
This might be of interest to fans of John Barry's superb soundtrack for Moonraker:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/681802762/moonraker-new-recording

Seems like this has been cancelled. 

I love the Moonraker soundtrack.  I think it's one of Barry's very best scores.  Flight Into Space (as we've discussed before, CG) is a thing of pure beauty.  So epic and yet so fragile in places.  When the choir comes in, it's guaranteed goosebumps for me.  A wonderful piece of work.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on January 27, 2015, 11:01:34 AM
I think it's fair to say Eon were not adverse to a bit of bandwagon jumping, hence the blaxploitation of Live and Let Die and post Star Wars lazer battles in Moonraker.

And the kung fu in The Man With The Golden Gun.

Panbaams

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 06, 2015, 09:13:00 AM
Though the premise is - as already noted - a rerun of You Only Live Twice and was used again in Moonraker.

Aside from the plot, I think there's supposed to be loads of nods to You Only Live Twice in The Spy Who Loved Me. There's probably a list of them online somewhere but there's a particular shot of a monorail train rounding a corner outside the astronauts' prison cell that's recreated almost exactly in Spy, and loads of things like the blast shields over the windows of Blofeld's/Stromberg's command centres.

Quote from: Blumf on January 27, 2015, 11:09:59 AM
Add in the fact that Bond's usual little PPK doesn't get much use in this film, James taking a much larger Smith & Wesson Model 29 for the rescue of Solitaire.

With Live and Let Die there was a conscious effort to make the look and feel of Moore-Bond's world different, rather than the business-as-usual approach taken with Lazenby: no Bond in the pre-title sequence, no scene where Bond wears a dinner jacket, no Q scene, the M scene is in Bond's flat rather than M's office, no out-of-this-world villain or plot (well, relatively), no Richard Maibaum, and no John Barry.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 06, 2015, 10:59:07 AM
(and yes, Bond does essentially force the (implied) lesbian out of Pussy Galore with his magic cock)

In the book, one of the American gangsters makes a sneery remark about "lizzies". I am not sure if that is a typo in the edition I saw (an old 60s Pan paperback) or a polite obfuscation, or if Fleming simply didn't know the correct word.

Andy147

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on January 28, 2015, 09:32:47 PM
In the book, one of the American gangsters makes a sneery remark about "lizzies". I am not sure if that is a typo in the edition I saw (an old 60s Pan paperback) or a polite obfuscation, or if Fleming simply didn't know the correct word.

Slang of the era (it's in other books and dictionaries).

Mr Banlon

And also in The Warriors.

Blumf

biggytitbo

Quote from: Blumf on January 29, 2015, 09:18:47 PM
Wondered if that's where Thin Lizzy got their name, but no:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Lizzy#Origin_of_the_band_name

Responsible for the greatest lyric ever written of course - "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak. Somewhere in this town."

It's going to be at the jail isnt it?

thraxx

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 29, 2015, 09:59:31 PM
Responsible for the greatest lyric ever written of course - "Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak. Somewhere in this town."

It's a metaphor, silly.

The best lyric in that song, that I love, is "Tonight there's going to be trouble, and some of us won't survive".

Lizzy are AMAZING.

biggytitbo

Blumf

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 29, 2015, 09:59:31 PM

I pretty sure they're talking about opening up their iPhone to freely install apps.