Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:44:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Brasseye"

Started by Purple Tentacle, September 05, 2004, 12:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

OK, this is the last thread I start tonight honest, but I've noticed a LOT of posters calling Brass Eye, "Brasseye".

As far as I'm aware, Brass Eye wasn't annoyingly called "Brasseye" until the special... therefore I'm curious, are those posters calling Brass Eye "Brasseye" people who saw the special first, and have therefore been poisoned by the "ironic" rebranding, or am I completely missing the point and it's always been an annoying one-word name.

I hate "Brasseye".

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

It was always one word on-screen but two words in listings mags wasn't it?

We should have a thread about minor errors like that which infuriate you. Like 'Weekending'.  Or people who don't capitalise the second e in EastEnders.

And calling Saturday Live 'Saturday Night Live'. Or pronouncing Deayton as 'Dayton'.

Purple Tentacle

As a matter of fact people who pronounce "Kim Basinger" correctly really piss me off... something about the smug way they pronounce her name right as if they're her mate or something just boils my blood.

However she isn't comedy, and this thread could very quickly descend into another "grammatical errors that piss you off" thread which is why it should STOP.

I'm SURE it was two words though.

Rats

You just fancy Kim Bayzingar that's all, you're jealous because they're scoring points.

RHX

It's either "brassEYE" or "brasseye", if the official titles (as used in the show) are to be believed. I prefer the look of "Brass Eye" anyway.

And in the Decline episode, after the news flash, it says "Brasseye: End Of Part One". So maybe the official title has no space in it?

Darrell

Quote from: "RHX"Brasseye: End Of Part One

I believe that should be "Brasseye < End Of Part One".

Rats

I believe it should be brissoye @# pate wan but them I'm dyslexic

Tokyo Sexwhale

I thought it was supposed to be a combination of "Brass Tacks" and "TV Eye" - two current affairs programmes from the 80s, amusingly combined to form a euphemism for an arse hole (arsehole)?

If this is the case, "Brass Eye" should be correct.

fluff

Actually I thought it was taken from the saying which means Arse, Brass Eye, Brown Eye, Ring, etc.

Then on from that I wondered if it was intentionally like that to show that everything coming out of these kind of programs was crap, or something.  But maybe they didn't think as much about it as I have...

Oops I just realised you already mentioned the arse thing.

TJ

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"I thought it was supposed to be a combination of "Brass Tacks" and "TV Eye" - two current affairs programmes from the 80s, amusingly combined to form a euphemism for an arse hole (arsehole)?

This is the case according to one of the show's writers, although they merely said that it 'sounded a bit rude' rather than gave any specific euphemistic details.

Amazing how many people still claim that 'brass eye' is a slang word that they'd been saying for years.

Jet Set Willy

I thought it was meant to be a play on the phrase "brass neck".

neveragain

No, 'brass neck' was a play on the title of the show used by parasitic Daily Mailers during the BES phew-rory.

Crazy Penis

On the back of the DVD above the episode listing it says Brass Eye twice and underneath the TalkBack logo it says Brass Eye Special.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Somebody once said they found a reference to the metal clip that fastens a noose being called a 'brass eye'. If that's true, then it's the perfect title.

Darrell

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Somebody once said they found a reference to the metal clip that fastens a noose being called a 'brass eye'. If that's true, then it's the perfect title.

Just checked, and it's definitely true.

TJ

Quote from: "neveragain"No, 'brass neck' was a play on the title of the show used by parasitic Daily Mailers during the BES phew-rory.

"brass neck, more like!! ;) imho"

skibz

Wasn't that Michael Barrymore who said that in the "Top Ten TV Rebels" programme?

DuncanC

JesusAndYourBush

Now if he'd stuck with the original title Trombone we could have avoided all this confusion.

Dr David V

Ah good, somewhere to put my pointless observation.

Right, I've been thinking about this. Every episode in the series uses the title Brass Eye at some point during speech. But the special doesn't, it only ever uses it in the title screens and in captions, which leads me to believe that Trombone wasn't originally going to be shown under the Brass Eye tag. I'm probably reading far too much into it, but it's something that's just occurred to me a while ago.

Quote from: "TJ"Amazing how many people still claim that 'brass eye' is a slang word that they'd been saying for years.

Regular Viz readers were.  I gave a guffaw when I first heard the title of the show.  It's yet another factor I would've used in a thread that I could never be arsed to start about Morris being childish.

jutl

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"
Quote from: "TJ"Amazing how many people still claim that 'brass eye' is a slang word that they'd been saying for years.

Regular Viz readers were.  I gave a guffaw when I first heard the title of the show.  It's yet another factor I would've used in a thread that I could never be arsed to start about Morris being childish.

Are you sure that wasn't 'bronze eye' and 'brown eye'? I remember both of those from early Viz, but not 'brass eye'. We need a properly researched swearing dictionary. I remember looking at one a while ago that only contained C18th swearing (most of which has now shamefully disappeared). It included the verb 'to wuffle', which meant to nibble a scrotum teasingly.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Brass Eye does sound a bit like a euphenism for vagina, and it fits with the Morris-Iannucci contest of calling shows after euphenisms - Gash, Box of Slice.

Quote from: "jutl"Are you sure that wasn't 'bronze eye' and 'brown eye'? I remember both of those from early Viz, but not 'brass eye'.

"Brass eye" was definitely there as well.

"Wuffle" is a lovely word, and very close to "Zuffle" which is defined by Roger's Profanisaurus as

QuoteTo wipe your cock on the curtains after sex at a posh bird's house.

Which I love because it's so exactingly specific you could never imagine needing a word for it, unless you had a predeliction for both posh birds and curtain creaming.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Somebody once said they found a reference to the metal clip that fastens a noose being called a 'brass eye'. If that's true, then it's the perfect title.

From here:

Quote from: "Some site"The Home Office issued the following instructions to executioners in the 1940's and 50's for the correct setting up of the drop.
"Obtain a rope from Execution Box B making sure that the guttapercha covering the splice at each end is un-cracked by previous use.

Find the required drop from the Official Table of Drops making allowance for age and physique.
At the noose end of the rope measure thirteen inches (allowance for the neck) from the centre of the brass eye, mark this by tying round the rope a piece of pack-thread from Execution Box B.

I think it's a coincidence, but a nice one.
In a parallel universe Adjective Tarts are probably debating whether it was TV Tacks or TVtacks.