Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:53:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3)

Started by sirhenry, October 21, 2014, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Ship

Re: Bus

I seem to remember there was a similar goof in Torchwood, when they were filming on Roald Dahl Plass, and if you look in the background you can see the lozenge shaped logo advertising the Doctor Who exhibit over the road.

biggytitbo

I presume it isn't a goof but a deliberate Easter egg. They could hardly miss it since they must have had to source the bus specifically for the shot.

Replies From View

And as Mister Six has noticed, the Doctor Who image and the film tagline come from different sources.

Norton Canes

So while we're all kicking our heels waiting for Doctor Who And The Bus Of Weird Meta Publicity, what do we think about the possibility of another spin-off series? It's been awhile since Torchwood and the SJAs, and Moffat doesn't seem to have been interested in getting anything new off the ground. A few opportunities must have presented themselves over the last few years?

We'll take it as read that The Astonishing Exploits Of The Paternoster Gang has entered pre-production, and that Doctor Who's Bum – The Movie is breaking all kinds of records at the box office.

Clara On Call
A series of 5-minute shorts where Clara and Danny Pink babble incessantly about their relationship via mobile phone, despite the fact that Clara is facing imminent death at the hand of some unspecified alien menace.

Teller Tales
Everyone's favourite lovelorn alien guilt-eater travels the galaxy in search of a really satisfying blowout.
Episode 1: The Vatican

Jenny When
Frustrated that father still hasn't bothered to look for her after six years, The Doctor's Daughter contacts the CSA and books a DNA test on Jeremy Kyle.

Replies From View

New Paradigm Niggles

The New Paradigm Daleks from Victory of the Daleks stand around and mutter back and forth about how annoying it is that their botched design led to an abrupt end to their storyline development in Doctor Who.  They do this throughout their spin-off show instead of making the most of their yearned-for screen time.

biggytitbo

Bulb replacement man
12 part series following the adventures of the man whose services the bulb at the top of the Tardis. Mostly involves issues with bulbs.

biggytitbo

Looks like Tish has made it big in Hollywood now, to add her to the list http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1813221/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

Untitled NFL Concussion Drama sounds particularly amazing.

Thomas

I saw her in a clip from a film a few weeks ago and thought 'ah, looks like I quite fancy this woman.' At some point afterwards I rewatched some of Doctor Who series 3 and remembered that also fancied Tish. Only later still did I realise the fairly major overlap in identity.

The Roofdog

biggytitbo

Quote from: Thomas on October 22, 2014, 11:02:03 PM
I saw her in a clip from a film a few weeks ago and thought 'ah, looks like I quite fancy this woman.' At some point afterwards I rewatched some of Doctor Who series 3 and remembered that also fancied Tish. Only later still did I realise the fairly major overlap in identity.

Series 3s strike rate is amazing -  Andrew Garfield, Carrie Mulligan and now Tish (I know that's not her real name but I'm not even going to try to spell it).

BritishHobo

As a result, Sparrow and Nightingale is out. In its place, I'd like to suggest Craig and Rose, a kitchen-sink drama about Rose Tyler and James Corden, two people who struggle, and I really mean struggle, with adjusting to suburban life after being shown, and then forbidden, the infinite beauty and wonders of the universe.

Canted_Angle

Wilf fishing and never catching anything with intermittent guest appearances from previous doctors whilst discussing current affairs.

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 22, 2014, 10:54:16 PM
Looks like Tish has made it big in Hollywood now, to add her to the list http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1813221/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

Possibly due to her being a clone of Jessica Alba?

lipsink

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 21, 2014, 09:40:51 PM
A very glowing review of In the Forest of the Night here http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/episode-preview-in-forest-of-night.html

Sounds like this may be the tearjerker episode of the series. We haven't really had one so far this year, have we?

biggytitbo

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 23, 2014, 04:46:50 AM
Possibly due to her being a clone of Jessica Alba?

Doesn't produce shoddy electrical goods though, so that makes her better.

Norton Canes

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 22, 2014, 11:23:28 PMSeries 3s strike rate is amazing -  Andrew Garfield, Carrie Mulligan and now Tish...

...and Harry Lloyd (not the dangling off the clock one)

mjwilson

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 22, 2014, 11:23:28 PM

Series 3s strike rate is amazing -  Andrew Garfield, Carrie Mulligan and now Tish (I know that's not her real name but I'm not even going to try to spell it).

Didn't stop you with Mulligan though.

biggytitbo

Quote from: mjwilson on October 23, 2014, 06:03:27 PM
Didn't stop you with Mulligan though.

Nothing will stop me with Mulligan.

Replies From View

QuoteNeil Gaiman on Hopes for Capaldi Episode

Neil Gaiman, writer of fan favourite The Doctor's Wife (and not-so-fan-favourite Nightmare in Silver), has said that he is hoping to contribute an episode for Peter Capaldi's run sometime in the future.

Speaking in a conversation with Audrey Niffenegger he said: "Whenever I'm in the UK, I sneak into meetings with [the production team]. They say, 'Can you do another one?!' and I say, 'Yes! But not yet!'

He adds: "Now I'm just sort of hoping that I can get one done while Peter Capaldi is still the Doctor, because it would be a very sad thing if I lost my chance to write for a grumpy, Scottish Doctor.

Gaiman also recently spoke about the lack of female writers for Doctor Who on his Tumblr: "In the six years I've been working with the Doctor Who team, the producers and script editors I've directly worked with (four out of six of whom have been women) have had a lot of attention on getting women writers onto the team.

"They've reached out to a lot of women writers — I know that Steven Moffat has personally been in touch with a lot of female writers and been defeated over and over by scheduling problems, and people saying no, and been as frustrated as anybody (probably much more frustrated as he's the one reaching out). It's a priority for them too."

The last TV story to be written by a female was Helen Raynor with The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky two-parter in 2008.

Deanjam

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm pleased, nay delighted, to report that Dark Water is tremendous. As always, I won't reveal any spoilers - more than my job's worth, lads - but suffice to say it's utterly enthralling and bodes well for the finale. As long as Moffat doesn't botch it in episode 12, then series 8 will surely be regarded as one of the best since the show returned.

In conclusion: YES.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 23, 2014, 10:17:50 PM
I'm pleased, nay delighted, to report that Dark Water is tremendous. As always, I won't reveal any spoilers - more than my job's worth, lads - but suffice to say it's utterly enthralling and bodes well for the finale. As long as Moffat doesn't botch it in episode 12, then series 8 will surely be regarded as one of the best since the show returned.

In conclusion: YES.

Woohoo! How would you compare it to previous season finales? Looked a bit RTD-esque from the filming pics.

I'm informed that Saturday's episode contains
Spoiler alert
virtually nothing of the season arc
[close]
, which is odd. I was expecting
Spoiler alert
at least something at the end leading up to
[close]
Dark Water.

biggytitbo

Another question. Dark Water presumably ends with the first cliffhanger since 2011 (not counting the Name of the Doctor). Was it worth the wait?

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 23, 2014, 10:32:53 PM

Woohoo! How would you compare it to previous season finales? Looked a bit RTD-esque from the filming pics.

I'm informed that Saturday's episode contains
Spoiler alert
virtually nothing of the season arc
[close]
, which is odd. I was expecting
Spoiler alert
at least something at the end leading up to
[close]
Dark Water.

It's been a while since I've seen 'The Lodger' but I seem to remember that had very little or no
Spoiler alert
season arc
[close]
stuff in it too (as well as being quite an obvious tonal distraction from the episodes around it).  My feeling looking at Doctor Who from series 5 onwards is that Moffat likes to break the momentum a little before his finale stories kick in.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on October 23, 2014, 10:51:39 PM
It's been a while since I've seen 'The Lodger' but I seem to remember that had very little or no
Spoiler alert
season arc
[close]
stuff in it too (as well as being quite an obvious tonal distraction from the episodes around it).  My feeling looking at Doctor Who from series 5 onwards is that Moffat likes to break the momentum a little before his finale stories kick in.

It does contain both a scene with the crack and amy finding the engagement ring in the tardis though.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 23, 2014, 11:04:49 PM
It does contain both a scene with the crack and amy finding the engagement ring in the tardis though.

Ah, okay.  I did say it's been a while since I saw it.

I still stand by what I've said about Moffat seeming to like breaking momentum a bit before the series finales, though.  It's not always in the same way.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on October 23, 2014, 11:06:46 PM
Ah, okay.  I did say it's been a while since I saw it.

I still stand by what I've said about Moffat seeming to like breaking momentum a bit before the series finales, though.  It's not always in the same way.

Yes, there's only very very short scenes in the episode so your point stands. Hopefully we'll get at least a scene in Saturday's episode that furthers the arc in anticipation of Dark Water.

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 23, 2014, 10:32:53 PM

As penultimate episodes go, I'd rate it up there with The Pandorica Opens.

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 23, 2014, 10:39:59 PM
Another question. Dark Water presumably ends with the first cliffhanger since 2011 (not counting the Name of the Doctor). Was it worth the wait?

For the first time since - if memory serves - The Stolen Earth, the last five minutes have been edited out of preview copies. So I've no idea how it ends! But even without the ending, it's still a terrific episode.

Quote from: Replies From View on October 23, 2014, 11:06:46 PM

You're absolutely right, that does seem to be his preferred pattern. It's not giving too much away to say that In The Forest of the Dead is basically a standalone outing. It's not a comedy episode by any means, but it's tonally softer than the rest of series 8.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 23, 2014, 11:16:12 PM
For the first time since - if memory serves - The Stolen Earth, the last five minutes have been edited out of preview copies.

Didn't preview copies of Name of the Doctor have the same?