Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:26:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 8 (Part 3)

Started by sirhenry, October 21, 2014, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

EDIT: Cracking way to start a new page, Ballard, well done.

Quote from: Replies From View on October 23, 2014, 11:28:06 PM
Didn't preview copies of Name of the Doctor have the same?

Not as far as I recall, no, but I could be misremembering. After all, that took place as far back as last year.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 23, 2014, 11:35:39 PM
Not as far as I recall, no, but I could be misremembering. After all, that took place as far back as last year.

I might only be last year but it was on a very distant planet.

Plus, you know, that whole business with the Mind Probe. Which I can't talk about, for obvious reasons.

Replies From View

Natnar

So what year is the "present day" stuff set in now? I know in the Rose era the show was a year ahead of what year the show was aired in but there's been a lot of faffing about with it since then.

Replies From View

Quote from: Natnar on October 24, 2014, 12:51:59 AM
So what year is the "present day" stuff set in now? I know in the Rose era the show was a year ahead of what year the show was aired in but there's been a lot of faffing about with it since then.

It's not explicitly stated; it's just meant to be "now" I think (despite the weeks and months passing that would put them in our future by this point) - otherwise they would surely go for a historical, future or alien companion.

When it comes to it I generally still even take Rose to be roughly "now" in 2014.  These companions are meant to be contemporary with the viewing audience, and a few years one way or another doesn't really alter that.

Mister Six

lipsink

Is this the kind of animation that kids like now? It's a bit rubbish: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0295j18

Capaldi sounds barely there either.

Norton Canes

Judging by this and the strip in the Monthly (and Mister Six's avatar), artists seem to be having a problem pinning down Capaldi's likeness. Which is strange, because I'd say he has quite distinctive, sharply-defined features.

Perhaps they are under orders not to draw all the wrinkles and make him look too old.

Replies From View

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 24, 2014, 09:44:36 AM
Perhaps they are under orders not to draw all the wrinkles and make him look too old.

Yes, they may be playing it safe at least.  I suspect that the concern isn't that he might look too old, but that animations/illustrations of Capaldi divorced from the nuances of Capaldi's performance might come across far too fierce and intimidating for what it is they're making.

Replies From View

DVD cover art has been confirmed.

I'm not a fan of the cogs in the titles or here.  I find such a literal representation of mechanical time to be irrelevant to the show.

Release date is November 17th, which must mean the 2014 Christmas episode is part of series 9 after all.  Quite odd; I can see why they'd want a new Doctor Who release for the Christmas market, but back when (for example) the 2005 Christmas episode was considered part of series 2, it made sense given the comparative proximity of that series to the special.  Whereas there's going to be only a few weeks between the end of series 8 and the 2014 Christmas episode.

QuoteThe DVD or Blu-ray boxset extras:

- Doctor Who : The Ultimate Timelord (1x 45′ feature with 5th Doctor Peter Davison featuring David Tennant)

- Doctor Who: The Ultimate Companion (1x 45′ feature with 5th Doctor Peter Davison featuring David Tennant)

- Doctor Who Exclusive (Cast interviews)

- Doctor Who Extra (Behind the Scenes)

- Foxes – Don't Stop Me Now ( Music Video)

- Doctor Who Deep Breath Cinema Panel Session (Q&A)

- Doctor Who World Tour Documentary

- Doctor Who Exclusive: Audio Commentaries of Episodes 2,3,6 & 7

Commentaries on 'Into the Dalek', 'Robot of Sherwood', 'The Caretaker' and 'Kill the Moon'.  What an odd (and measly) selection.

Mister Six

No commentary on 'Deep Breath' or 'Listen'? Absolutely bizarre. Likewise the finale - you'd think they'd have something to say about the episodes that will explain the current villain and pay off Clara and The Doctor's emotional arc for this season. I assume Moffat wasn't available when they were recording, or something?

Also a shame that two of the weaker episodes - 'Sherwood' and 'Moon' - were picked, rather than 'Flatline' or 'Mummy. I hope that's to do with availability again...

Natnar

Quote from: Replies From View on October 24, 2014, 11:20:18 AM
DVD cover art has been confirmed.

I'm not a fan of the cogs in the titles or here.  I find such a literal representation of mechanical time to be irrelevant to the show.

Release date is November 17th, which must mean the 2014 Christmas episode is part of series 9 after all.  Quite odd; I can see why they'd want a new Doctor Who release for the Christmas market, but back when (for example) the 2005 Christmas episode was considered part of series 2, it made sense given the comparative proximity of that series to the special.  Whereas there's going to be only a few weeks between the end of series 8 and the 2014 Christmas episode.

Commentaries on 'Into the Dalek', 'Robot of Sherwood', 'The Caretaker' and 'Kill the Moon'.  What an odd (and measly) selection.

Maybe it's a case of the later episodes not being finished in time to be commented over. I think this is the first time a complete series boxset has been released so close to transmission isn't it?

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on October 24, 2014, 12:26:32 PM
Also a shame that two of the weaker episodes - 'Sherwood' and 'Moon' - were picked, rather than 'Flatline' or 'Mummy. I hope that's to do with availability again...

I wonder if it's to do with the number of episodes that were completed by the time they recorded the commentaries, as they are almost entirely from the first half of the series.

Another thought I had was perhaps these concern important moments in Capaldi's characterisation - 'Into the Dalek' has the moment of saying "trust me" before not saving someone; 'Robot' has the bantering with a character the Doctor takes to be unreal; 'The Caretaker' has the Doctor shouting Danny out of his TARDIS and 'Kill the Moon' has him leaving others to make a decision... but it won't be this, will it.  If they were approaching the commentaries thematically they'd include the opener and finale too, surely.

So yeah; no flipping clue basically.  I yearn for a return to commentaries on all the episodes, as per series 1-4.

Edit:  this wasn't posted when I started replying...

Quote from: Natnar on October 24, 2014, 12:42:48 PM
Maybe it's a case of the later episodes not being finished in time to be commented over. I think this is the first time a complete series boxset has been released so close to transmission isn't it?

I think you're right, yeah.  It's annoying that a series this close to Christmas needs to apparently be rush-released for that market.  At least do a vanilla set now and the complete series release a bit later with the Christmas episode included as part of series 8.  As it is with 12 episodes rather than 13 series 8 is one episode shorter than most other series, and on top of that this will be the first release since series 5 to lack a Christmas special.

Deanjam

Quote from: Replies From View on October 24, 2014, 11:20:18 AM
Commentaries on 'Into the Dalek', 'Robot of Sherwood', 'The Caretaker' and 'Kill the Moon'.

No doubt featuring the assistant sound editor, the head of craft services and the third merry man from the left.

weekender

Maybe there's other shit going on involving the #omnirumour.

weekender

Quote from: Deanjam on October 24, 2014, 04:23:57 PM
No doubt featuring the assistant sound editor, the head of craft services and the third merry man from the left.

It was a particularly interesting variant of the #omnirumour that said that Robot of Sherwood was a pastiche.

biggytitbo

lipsink

I'm actually really excited the 2 parter's coming back next week. Just think how fucking great Moffat's past 2 parters have been: The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang and The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon. I know those 2 examples are of the current show at its peak, but still. If I could get Moffat to do what I say then every series would open and close with a 2 parter from him plus a midseries single episode in the vein of 'Listen'.

biggytitbo

Yes his two parters to date -

Empty Child/Doctor Dances
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone
Pandorica Opens/Big Bang
Impossible Astronaut/Day Of the Moon

Phew. I mean he gets a lot of criticism, sometimes deserved, but when you step back and look at what he's done - he's a genius and completely without parallel.

BritishHobo

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on October 24, 2014, 12:52:01 PM
I wonder if it's to do with the number of episodes that were completed by the time they recorded the commentaries, as they are almost entirely from the first half of the series.

More likely to do with who was most conveniently available to record them, isn't it?

Thomas

If they can't get Moffat and Capaldi in, they should just use the guys from the Brass Eye 'Drugs' commentary.

olliebean

Quote from: lipsink on October 24, 2014, 08:45:55 AM
Is this the kind of animation that kids like now? It's a bit rubbish: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0295j18

Capaldi sounds barely there either.

That looks more like an animatic, i.e. the sort of thing that's thrown together quickly to make sure the script works and the artwork looks OK before getting on with putting in a bit of effort and animating it properly. A bit disappointing that that's apparently been deemed acceptable in this case as a finished product.

Mister Six

Quote from: weekender on October 24, 2014, 07:38:49 PM
Maybe there's other shit going on involving the #omnirumour.

Wait, what's 'the #omnirumour'?

mjwilson

Quote from: Mister Six on October 25, 2014, 04:53:35 AM
Wait, what's 'the #omnirumour'?

Some people believe that all, or nearly all, of the missing episodes of the classic series have been found. Usually the assumption is that the finder and the BBC are stuck in negotiations, trying to come up with a deal to return them.

Replies From View

And also that the finder is a bit of a flaming knob end who needs to be less of a stupid twat.

Mister Six

Ah, I see. But what would that have to do with commentaries for those episodes? Is the implication that Moffat and co are busy overseeing mastering on the old stuff, or recording supplementary material for it? Or that Moffat's in court or negotiations or something? Or that him not performing commentaries is a prerequisite of getting the tapes back?

Honestly, it's baffling.

And what does this mean:

Quote from: weekender on October 24, 2014, 07:40:33 PM
It was a particularly interesting variant of the #omnirumour that said that Robot of Sherwood was a pastiche.

?

daf

Quote from: Mister Six on October 25, 2014, 12:00:00 PM
Ah, I see. But what would that have to do with commentaries for those episodes?

There's been some speculation that clues about the omnirumoured missing episodes have been dotted about the new series episodes (to show that more are coming?)

Things like the Jane Austen dates on the blackboard (96 or 97) referring to the number of missing episodes remaining (with or without the un-telerecorded 'The Feast of Steven')

There are more, but like seeing faces in the carpet, you can see whatever you want to if you look hard enough at anything.