Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,469
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Started by BritishHobo, October 23, 2014, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I really couldn't give a shit about the Avengers anymore. Iron Man aside (and possibly Guardians of the Galaxy, which I've still not seen), I've been bored basically since the first Thor, and totally uninterested in the ubiquitous discussion of it all. While I enjoyed the first Avengers film, nothing about it made me want to come back - I've no interest in Loki, and I've found all their stories and villains to be a bit dull and repetitive. Especially fucking Thor's. Fuck Thor.

But bloody hell. Just watched the new trailer, and I am fucking in, instantly, just like that.

It's one bit in particular, one I cannot stop watching.
Spoiler alert
Ultron(?) jerking his way into the Avengers Lounge, and all of them turning and watching him in horror. It's amazing. Properly fucking haunting moment.
[close]
And with that, it's just sucked me right back in.

madhair60

Can't wait for this!  First one was great.

Now, commence shitting on it.

brat-sampson

See, this is why you don't program AIs with menacing voices.

checkoutgirl

It's David Spade or James Spader, I always get them two mixed up. Whichever one liked videoing women in Sex Lies and Videotape and got turned on by car crashes in Crash, him. I assumed Ultron was just a computer like Forbin Project but if he's a fucked up computer thing that can move around like Mark Heap's roboplegic wrongcock in Brass Eye it could be interesting.

Mister Six

The trailer looked a bit generic to me and Steven Moffat has killed my ability to be creeped out by children's songs being sung by monsters, but it's Whedon and he really, really knows what he's doing. TBH, I think he's better at zippy and funny than intense and doom-laden, which is apparently what this trailer is going for, but I'm staying upbeat.

Hey! Can we do one of those lists? LET'S DO ONE OF THOSE LISTS!

In descending order of quality:

1: Guardians of the Galaxy
2: Captain America 2
3: Iron Man 1
4: Thor 1
5: The Avengers 1
6: Iron Man 2
(reasonably big drop-off in quality)
7: Iron Man 3
8: The Incredible Hulk
(another reasonably big drop-off)
9: Thor 2
(plummeting into the abyss)
10: Captain America 1

Captain America 1 is the only film in the list that I genuinely wouldn't bother watching again, so all told they're doing a grand job with these things so far. If this new Avengers movie manages to add a meatier emotional element to the film (the novelty won't sell a bunch of thin action scenes strung together again) then it'll crack my top five.

BritishHobo

1. Iron Man 3
2. Iron Man
3. The Avengers
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Iron Man 2
6. Captain America
7. Thor
8. Thor 2

Not seen Guardians or Cap yet. I don't know if I'll bother with Cap. I know the basics of the plot, and how it'll feed into Age of Ultron, so I'll probably just leave it. Guardians I desperately did want to see, but somehow never found the time.

As for rewatching, I think just the Iron Man films and possibly the Avengers. I really have no interest in ever visiting the shit world of Thor again.

Custard

Does look good, dunnit. Best trailer I've seen in a while, and the Disney Pinocchio theme sung so hauntingly is a masterstroke

So is Ultron a failed Tony Stark experiment? Agreed on him/it jerking into the room being a fantastic shot

Hulk looks a bit battered down, too. Wonder what's been happening there?

Glad it appears to be taking a different direction, rather than the (fantasticly fun) big smackdown of the first film, and also shows each Avenger properly scared and up against it

Whedon has apparently passed on directing 3 and 4, so hope he can pull it off again, on his way out. Loved the first film - a properly fun, OTT superhero blowout

Nobody Soup

a bit disappointed it's ultron, my favourite, sometime avenger associated character is adam warlock but he's never really involved in ultron stuff as far as I know. if they were following up on thanos appearing at the end of the first one he had a good shot of being in the film. are the guardians of the galaxy likely to cross-over? not seen that film and haven't even heard of their characters through the comics.

QuoteSo is Ultron a failed Tony Stark experiment? Agreed on him/it jerking into the room being a fantastic shot

ultron is a failed hank-pym experiment, but the ant-man (who is ant man) movie isn't coming out until after the avengers, so I imagine they're changing the origin a bit so it makes more sense and also so they don't have too many super genius scientists running around the place. I don't really know very much about him apart from that though.

there is getting to be an awful lot of these, I'm already about 4 films behind.

Is it me or does the voiceover sound like Vince McMahon?

samadriel

Vince has a very high singing voice...

checkoutgirl

I have to say that trailer is fucking badasss. An Ironman inside a bigger Ironman like a Russian doll fighting the Incredible Hulk? What's going on?

Bad Ambassador

1. The Avengers.
2. Guardians of the Galaxy.
3. Iron Man 3.
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
5. Iron Man.
6. Captain America: The First Avenger.
7. The Incredible Hulk
8. Thor: The Dark World.
9. Thor.
10. Iron Man 2.

The top 7 are all great, and the Thors are alright. IM2 was like a Transformers film, but without all the casual racism and misogyny.

Obel

Ohhh lists, I like lists.

1. Captain America 2
2. GOTG
3. Iron Man 3
4. Avengers
5. Iron Man
6. Thor
7. Iron Man 2
8. Thor 2
9. Captain America
SHIT. Incredible Hulk

MojoJojo

Quote from: Nobody Soup on October 23, 2014, 06:30:03 PM
ultron is a failed hank-pym experiment, but the ant-man (who is ant man) movie isn't coming out until after the avengers, so I imagine they're changing the origin a bit so it makes more sense and also so they don't have too many super genius scientists running around the place. I don't really know very much about him apart from that though.

I'm just a general nerd so didn't know anything about Ultron, but I looked at the wiki page and from the trailer I think their running with
QuoteIron Man encounters an Ultron formed from an old version of his armor and the head of Ultron-18, who leads the cult the Sons of Yinsen in an attempt to conquest via religion. The character is defeated by Iron Man and Jocasta.
+some mad scientist to make up for a lack of the previous 17 versions.

He has a lot of origins, so I'm glad Marvel haven't decided to work through all of them[nb]The Avengers arc has been pretty good on the origins front haven't they - Iron Man and Captain America are the only two that have them. And they are at least a bit different to the normal "randomly get power, discover they must use it for good" fare[/nb]

What's most interesting to me is I think they've tied it into Iron Man 3, or more accurately tied Iron Man 3 to it. All those smashed up Iron Man suits who can act on their own. Which gives a reason for Stark to actually be in the suit.

Head Gardener

I like the bit in the trailer where
Spoiler alert
Black Widow drops onto a road on a motorbike from a plane and zooms off
[close]
rest of it'll be just as good no doubt

BritishHobo

I watched Captain America 2 tonight, and it was alright, except for
Spoiler alert
how did Nick Fury fake his own death if it was the Winter Soldier who killed him?
[close]
I really hate that they're already doing the fake-out death shit - they've done it with Coulson, with Loki, and now with that bloke in the spoiler. It's shit, lazy writing, and one of the worst things about comics. Either have the balls to stick with a major character death, or don't kill them. Heroes did this all the time after season one, and it was one of the main reasons the show turned shite. No peril whatsoever, because the producers blatantly value the beloved characters over the story itself.

It somewhat makes sense in comics, because there's so many of them, and characters get reintroduced and re-imagined all the time. But this is one franchise, it's fucking shit that they're doing this already.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 24, 2014, 04:54:16 AM
Spoiler alert
how did Nick Fury fake his own death if it was the Winter Soldier who killed him?
[close]

Spoiler alert
Bucky did shoot and injure him but not fatally and he had some magic juice that slowed his heart to one beat per minute to hoodwink everyone except Maria Hill who was in on it.
[close]
1. Winter Soldier
2. Thor
3. Avengers Assemble
4. Cap 1
5. Iron man 3
6. Thor 2
7. Iron man
8. Hulk
9. Iron man 2

Have'nt seen GOG.

RickyGerbail

Winter soldier was nice but
Spoiler alert
The concept of Hydra somehow being able to operate within S.H.I.E.L.D since the second world war was pretty ludicrous, it makes Nick Fury and co look like a bunch of tools.
[close]

Phil_A

For a moment I thought I'd spotted a Stewart Lee cameo at 1.33, but alas it was only Andy Sirkis impersonating a Shit-Haired Cunt.

Custard

Does Andy Serkis have to be in everything? Is it a rule now?

Mister Six

Surprised by all the folks who haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy - I really can't recommend it enough. An absolute hoot from (nearly) start[nb]Dead cancer mum isn't conducive to chuckles.[/nb] to (definitely) finish.

Norton Canes

I love the bit on that trailer where the caption comes up "THIS MAY". You expect subsequent ones saying "BE OK" and "OR NOT".

Custard

Or "This May Be All The Good Bits"

olliebean

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 24, 2014, 11:34:49 AM
Does Andy Serkis have to be in everything? Is it a rule now?

He's always been in everything, you just haven't recognised him because of CGI and that. Most actors are actually Andy Serkis.

Spiteface

I'm not even Spiteface. Serkis has been posting on my (and several othet posters') behalf for a few years now.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: RickyGerbail on October 24, 2014, 08:06:13 AM
Winter soldier was nice but
Spoiler alert
The concept of Hydra somehow being able to operate within S.H.I.E.L.D since the second world war was pretty ludicrous, it makes Nick Fury and co look like a bunch of tools.
[close]

None of these films can withstand that kind of scrutiny.   

SavageHedgehog

I can take or leave most of these films. But I do love James Spader. But I prefer him when he is not a robot (as in most or all previous James Spader films and TV-Shows). Is he going to be on screen at all in this film or is he just voice-over motion capture. I did sigh at the obligatory 9/11 imagery. But I was cheered up by the Pinocchio overtones; slightly redolent of that modern classic Gamer.

Custard

Dunno, but he's deffo gonna take at least one of our heroes in hand and spank their bare bum over his desk with his big robotic hands

kidsick5000

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on October 25, 2014, 08:02:24 PM
I did sigh at the obligatory 9/11 imagery.

It's hard to shoot destruction in a city without showing some rubble.

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on October 25, 2014, 08:02:24 PMBut I was cheered up by the Pinocchio overtones

It's a tough balance to strike, that kind of stuff. It's a great enemy speech, but I hope it doesn't feature in the film itself. It's a bizarre and unsettling threat, but could have come off as extremely dumb. Whedon usually misses the mark, but he struck oil this time, helped by the voice actor.

It's also a bit of a Superfly reference.

I'm still fairly certain this going to be by-the-numbers crap though. IRON MAN FIGHTS HULK, AGAIN! Fuck off.