Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Started by BritishHobo, October 23, 2014, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jack McBastard

The 'language' lines dragged their arse.

I didn't like Ultron's metal lips. It was too much of a: 'Oooh this robot's a special one cos he can move his neck like a person'-thing. I liked him in his original incarnation where he was all shredded to bits and malevolent looking.

At TRL pointed out every time he spoke (once he was in his new bod) it was luring an eye-roll out of me. He was juuuust *a bit* too silly, almost had a legit point when he was recruiting the new bods but then he just turns into a prize cunt.

I reckon the destruction of the city didn't make nearly enough of a mess coming down, or we didn't see enough of it.

It was ok as a piece of the overall story, pretty fucking full on. I liked the Stark/Hulk fight, "I totally support your Avenging." and "..we're fighting an army of robots and I have a bow and arrow, none of this makes any sense." Hawkeye's speech to proto-Scarlet Witch was mildly stirring and well placed. The kinetics and combinations in the fight at the button were ludicrous.

My arse felt like I was growing into the chair by the finish.

Norton Canes

Saw it yesterday, very impressed, don't think it did too much wrong. The jokes mostly worked, the fighty bits were well choreographed and executed, the touchy-feely-stuff inevitably meant downtime but was pertinent to character development. Agree that the Ultron robot could have been better designed - shades of Ultimus Prime in the mouth, I reckon, and the last thing a film about CGI'd robots needs is comparisons with Transformers (he also reminded me a bit of Call-Me-Kenneth in the Judge Dredd Robot Wars).

I was hoping they might have slipped in a reference to Daredevil, or maybe have had Charlie Cox in the background of the Iron Man/Hulk stramash.

Glebe

Saw it the other day (in 2D). First one was great (although - and maybe I'm being picky here - the finale was a bit of a let-down), it was certainly entertaining and there were several funny lines and a few nice moments, but I felt it was a bit of a mess overall. I know it's fantasy and everything, but the creation of Ultron seemed a little too convenient and there was a lot of gobbledegook that even somebody like me who's familiar with the Avengers-related flicks (the only one I've not seen is Thor: The Dark World) found confusing. The
Spoiler alert
scenes in the house in the country
[close]
tried to ground it in reality a bit, but only showed up how ridiculous and over-the-top the comic book sci-fi stuff is. So, a cut above the average comic book film, but you kinda expect that from Joss Whedon.

Nice to see Thomas Kretschmann make an appearance, btw.

kidsick5000

It a bit weird, considering three of the heroes and the villian are heavily CGI, but Vision just seemed too unreal and weird for the film.
I could see that there was some CGI going on, but it still looked like Paul Bettany with his face painted purple in an outfit he wasn't allowed to exhale in.
Frankly, he just looked stupid