Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Started by BritishHobo, October 23, 2014, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Quote from: The Region Legion on October 27, 2014, 05:36:50 AM
I'm still fairly certain this going to be by-the-numbers crap though. IRON MAN FIGHTS HULK, AGAIN! Fuck off.
'Again'?

Mister Six

Aye, it was Thor versus Hulk last time.

I'd sort of hoped that they'd got all the 'heroes versus each other' stuff out of their systems after the first film, but it looks like there's a greater focus on Banner this time, and him losing control of the Hulk, so at least there could be a decent character arc reason for it.

samadriel

Yeah, it's kinda hard to avoid in-fighting when you've got the Hulk on your team.  Hopefully they won't burn up too much time on that.

brat-sampson

Actually if anything from reading around a little I'd say (spoiler re. speculation over future Marvel movies)
Spoiler alert
if you're hoping for *less* Avengers in-fighting over the next few movies, you're gonna have a bad time.
[close]

samadriel

Spoiler alert
Civil War?  I really hope that doesn't happen, but I'm fairly confident it won't -- as many have said, there's no point to having the Civil War as it existed in the comics, because the MCU doesn't have any superheroes with a secret identity (well, there's the upcoming Daredevil series, but that makes a whopping total of one, and it's not like they have a universe full of mutants to bulk out the ranks -- that's in another studio's hands).  And why bother coming up with a new reason for the Civil War scenario when it's just going turn Iron Man, one of Marvel's most bankable stars, into the villain?
[close]

Mister Six

There's a really impressively detailed trailer analysis here. Spoilers all over the shop, though - a lot of stuff that blips by in the trailer seems to reveal major stuff about the film.

Tiny Poster

So they've announced a load more movies, including an Avengers two-parter. I want to see how they can pull off Black Panther without shades of racism, and how the bloody hell they're going to do the Inhumans at all.

olliebean

What's the two-parter called, "Infinite War?" I mean bloody hell, as if the damn battle scenes in everything don't already feel like they go on forever.

samadriel

Quote from: Tiny Poster on October 29, 2014, 12:24:29 PM
So they've announced a load more movies, including an Avengers two-parter. I want to see how they can pull off Black Panther without shades of racism, and how the bloody hell they're going to do the Inhumans at all.
I don't see why Black Panther needs to invite 'shades of racism'.  He's a superhero who's also king of an African country; that doesn't have to be a big deal.   I suppose making up Wakandan culture as a pastiche of African cultures could be seen as 'racist', but you could say the same of Dr Doom, Latveria and Slavs, and no-one ever has.  I don't think it'll be that hard to get right with a bit of effort.  I've actually been looking forward to an MCU Black Panther for awhile now, I'm pleased it was announced.  Don't know anything about the Inhumans or Captain Marvel.  Is CM connected to the Nova Corps or something?

Looks like I was wrong about Civil War; but from what whatsisname said, it sounds like they will be making it quite different from the comics story; not a lot of detail there, but as long as it doesn't revolve around Iron Man turning on a dime and becoming the government's lapdog over legislation that wouldn't even make sense in the MCU, I can maybe bear it.  I wonder if it'll involve Hydra significantly; I didn't expect them to appear in Cap 2, but (two films in) it seems like they're Cap's main nemesis in his movies.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: samadriel on October 29, 2014, 12:54:30 PM
I don't see why Black Panther needs to invite 'shades of racism'.  He's a superhero who's also king of an African country; that doesn't have to be a big deal.   I suppose making up Wakandan culture as a pastiche of African cultures could be seen as 'racist', but you could say the same of Dr Doom, Latveria and Slavs, and no-one ever has.  I don't think it'll be that hard to get right with a bit of effort.  I've actually been looking forward to an MCU Black Panther for awhile now, I'm pleased it was announced.  Don't know anything about the Inhumans or Captain Marvel.  Is CM connected to the Nova Corps or something?

Looks like I was wrong about Civil War; but from what whatsisname said, it sounds like they will be making it quite different from the comics story; not a lot of detail there, but as long as it doesn't revolve around Iron Man turning on a dime and becoming the government's lapdog over legislation that wouldn't even make sense in the MCU, I can maybe bear it.  I wonder if it'll involve Hydra significantly; I didn't expect them to appear in Cap 2, but (two films in) it seems like they're Cap's main nemesis in his movies.

I'm not saying that BP is inherently racist, just that it's going to be tricky to pull off without upsetting someone - and will get a lot more exposure than the comics ever have.

The Roofdog

What's going to be the problem with Inhumans? (don't know much about them)

Tiny Poster

In the comics, they're a hidden feudal civilization who get special powers through being ritually exposed to a gas only they have access to.  The stories revolve around the Inhuman royal family, the main character being the king Blackagar Boltagon (Black Bolt for short) who never speaks because even his slightest whisper can decimate fleets of enemies. Also his queen is called Medusa and she has prehensile hair and they have a massive pet dog that can teleport. Oh and their hidden city has been relocated to the moon, and later to the Hudson river.

They're a classic crazy Jack Kirby creation, but have never quite taken off and I can imagine it being tougher to adapt than even GotG. Mind you it'll probably echo the current Inhumanity storyline with some members of the general earth population being exposed to the gas before the royal family swoop in to teach them about their secret lineage.

samadriel

That's pretty wild.  I wonder if that gas could be the 'mysterious origin' of Daredevil's powers in the Netflix show (if they're in the Hudson River, after all...); it'd be a bit like his normal origin, without the 'radiation magic' you get with silver-age origin stories.

Come to think of it, what was Daredevil's origin in the DD movie?  I never saw it.

Blumf

Quote from: samadriel on October 29, 2014, 01:35:59 PM
Come to think of it, what was Daredevil's origin in the DD movie?  I never saw it.

Exposure to random toxic chemicals IIRC. (it's not a bad film, not great, but worth a punt if it turns up on TV)

Tiny Poster

Same as the comics - blinded by radioactive waste that spills off a truck after he pushes someone out of its path. I'd be surprised if they made Matt Murdock an Inhuman tho, it takes away from the heavy-handed poetry of that origin.

Because Marvel Studios can't use the X-Men or mutants in their movies, there's long been the suggestion that the Inhumans will take their place, with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver likely to be some rather than Magneto's kids.

Blumf

Quote from: Tiny Poster on October 29, 2014, 01:44:27 PM
Because Marvel Studios can't use the X-Men or mutants in their movies, there's long been the suggestion that the Inhumans will take their place, with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver likely to be some rather than Magneto's kids.

I was wondering about that, how they could use Mutant characters in the (non-X-Men) Marvel films. They are going to have to drop Scarlet and QS's mutant heritage aren't they?

Stupid lawyers/accountants!

Tiny Poster

Yup. The Inhumans origin is a handy way of introducing that outsider/threat to homo sapiens thing to the MCU but if they're going with the gas thing then it doesn't quite have the same parallells to puberty and your own body rebelling against you.

There's been a lot of talk about the comics pushing the X-Men aside in favour of the Inhumans but that's never going to happen, as convenient as it theoretically is.

Custard

As if its not enough of a clusterfuck of names, there's talk of Keven Feige negotiating with Sony to bring Spider-Man into the Marvel film universe.

Well, least they might actually do him right, and give him another decent standalone film or two

Would have to be ANOTHERRRR reboot though, surely? As wouldn't Spidey have been right there during the smackdown of the first Avengers?

Maybe they'll just being Garfield's Spidey in, and just pretend the other films didn't happen

DrunkCountry

Quote from: Blumf on October 29, 2014, 01:41:35 PM
(it's not a bad film, not great, but worth a punt if it turns up on TV)

Nah, no matter how much you dress it up, it's pretty pish. However, the DVD/blu-ray extras/interviews, extensively covering the history of Daredevil (in terms of the character & title's development) delivered from the perspective of & by each of the writers/artists responsible for the crucial story lines etc. are superb.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 29, 2014, 07:35:14 PM
Would have to be ANOTHERRRR reboot though, surely? As wouldn't Spidey have been right there during the smackdown of the first Avengers?
Nah.  Iron Man wasn't in Winter Soldier, etc. etc.  The Avengers invasion was over and done in, what, a day?  Maybe he was on a school trip.  (Actually, as Amazing Spider-Man came out a couple months after Avengers, Peter may have been as yet without his powers...)

I don't really see what Marvel Studios have to gain from anything other than full rights to Spider-Man.  They don't need him; they can print money with a bloke, a lass, a humanoid tree and talking raccoon that nobody's ever heard of.  A cameo, with Sony allowed to still make their own films, would effectively be promotional tie-in for a rival studio's less successful film series.

And despite the wobble with ASM2, I'd be kind of surprised if Sony'd be happy to give up their own rights to use him.  Even if Marvel licensed the full rights to Spidey back from Sony, giving Sony a financial stake in any future MCU Spidey films, the MCU doesn't have space for a solo film until 2019.  By which time Sony will have surely wanted to chuck out a few more of their own.

(I naturally have very little idea of what I'm talking about.)

Jerzy Bondov

I'm most excited about Captain Marvel. I wonder how they'll do the origin - will they have Carol meet Mar-Vell or will they just do without him? Whatever they do I hope they get her up into space punching aliens as quickly as possible.

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on October 29, 2014, 01:48:25 PM
I was wondering about that, how they could use Mutant characters in the (non-X-Men) Marvel films. They are going to have to drop Scarlet and QS's mutant heritage aren't they?

They already have mutants in Agents of Shield, they just use a synonym like 'gifted' or something. Like that shit Birds of Prey series did.

Though I suppose if they wanted to do something similar in the films they'd want to distance themselves from the X-Men movies a bit. Especially as that franchise is having a bit of a renaissance.

phantom_power

On Agents of Shield the character have all either been exposed to technology or genetically engineered or altered. I don't think there have been any proper mutants yet

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The post credits scene from Winter Soldier seemed to imply that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's powers had something to do with Loki's spear from Avengers.

It's all a bit arbitrary and nitpicky, both in and out of the stories. Why, for instance, are mutants persecuted but non-mutant supers aren't?

Tiny Poster

Quote from: phantom_power on October 31, 2014, 05:10:18 PM
On Agents of Shield the character have all either been exposed to technology or genetically engineered or altered. I don't think there have been any proper mutants yet

Isn't one of the characters (Skye?) rumoured to be an Inhuman?

Hopefully the MCU will make the Inhuman prejudice work in-universe, but the X-Men/mutant thing works if you see superheroes as being 'one-offs' who have gained their powers via some sort of incident, whereas mutants are evolutionary descendants of homo sapiens who will breed and replace us.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Tiny Poster on November 01, 2014, 12:22:33 AM
the X-Men/mutant thing works if you see superheroes as being 'one-offs' who have gained their powers via some sort of incident, whereas mutants are evolutionary descendants of homo sapiens who will breed and replace us.
How is anyone meant to know the difference though? To the public at large, Spider-Man or Thor could easily be filthy filthy muties.

Custard

So there is already a teaser trailer for the third and fourth Avengers films. Before the second has even come out

One step at a time, eh lads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2NRpG76Pg

The cheering at that video. Do people genuinely get that excited? Grown adults? Or were they all drunk?

The Roofdog

Especially as it's all pre-existing footage. Apart from maybe that shot of the infinity gauntlet at the end.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 01, 2014, 08:26:35 AM
The cheering at that video. Do people genuinely get that excited? Grown adults? Or were they all drunk?

It's a bit confusing, isn't it?