Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Started by BritishHobo, October 23, 2014, 03:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

I think it's nice that people are excited

Custard

Quote from: The Roofdog on November 01, 2014, 10:56:13 AM
Especially as it's all pre-existing footage. Apart from maybe that shot of the infinity gauntlet at the end.

And the Thanos bits, I'm guessing. Not seen those before. Played by Josh Brolin now, no less

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 01, 2014, 11:16:18 AM
I think it's nice that people are excited

I don't understand fully when a load of people go ape over a glove with jewels on it. When I don't understand I get scared. When I get scared I feel bad. When I feel bad I don't like it. This fuels my antipathy towards people who could be described as nerds. It's more of an achievement to be a nerd in our modern nerdified society.

samadriel

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 01, 2014, 01:01:42 PM
I don't understand fully when a load of people go ape over a glove with jewels on it.
Well, it's not like they don't know what it signifies...

Urinal Cake

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 01, 2014, 01:01:42 PM
I don't understand fully when a load of people go ape over a glove with jewels on it. When I don't understand I get scared. When I get scared I feel bad. When I feel bad I don't like it. This fuels my antipathy towards people who could be described as nerds. It's more of an achievement to be a nerd in our modern nerdified society.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

I wouldn't say this is a nerd thing more of an infantalisation thing. Nerds used to grow up and become interested in history, mythology and religion. Or alcohol, drugs and sex. Or a career, family and friends. Or something.

mjwilson

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 01, 2014, 08:26:35 AM
So there is already a teaser trailer for the third and fourth Avengers films. Before the second has even come out

One step at a time, eh lads?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2NRpG76Pg

The cheering at that video. Do people genuinely get that excited? Grown adults? Or were they all drunk?

Now they have a reason to stay alive till 2019.

Kelvin

Serious question, do large groups of British Sci-fi fans react like that when they hear announcements for things they like? Red Dwarf, etc.

I mean, I have no problem at all with the audience in that clip reacting so enthusiastically to something they love and care passionately about. I genuinely love watching clips like that. But I do wonder if it's less to do with nerd/geek culture and more to do with them simply being American. You only have to watch american TV or visit a public event in America to see there's a huge difference in the way Americans react to things publicly than us dull, repressed Brits.

Tiny Poster

Remember that ridiculous audience cheer in the final episode when they did a reference to Rimmer kneeing Death in the bollocks? Yes, British audiences react like that too.

kittens

Quote from: Mister Six on October 31, 2014, 03:08:36 AM
They already have mutants in Agents of Shield, they just use a synonym like 'gifted' or something. Like that shit Birds of Prey series did.

is agents of shield still shit or should i give it another try

mjwilson

Quote from: kittens on November 03, 2014, 11:38:41 AM
is agents of shield still shit or should i give it another try

It seems quite a bit better this season.

An tSaoi

I tried to watch an episode of AoS (or should that be AoSHIELD?) but I just couldn't get into it. It's so... televisual. Of course I'm not expecting blockbuster film special effects or big name movie stars, that's not what I'm talking about. There's just something about the way it's shot and lit which immediately screams TV SHOW, and not even a good looking television show.

I can't put my finger on it. Breaking Bad looks like a film, Sopranos looks like a film, Hannibal certainly looks like a film. But this show looks like a bloody soap. Can anyone shed any light?

kidsick5000

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 03, 2014, 08:18:23 PM
I can't put my finger on it. Breaking Bad looks like a film, Sopranos looks like a film, Hannibal certainly looks like a film. But this show looks like a bloody soap. Can anyone shed any light?

Camera angles and lighting. Fairly regular.
I know the fight choreography has improved, but compare the fight in Hannibal to the Shield show. One is thrilling, the other is functional

olliebean

I gave season 2 of Agents of Shield a go because I read online that it was much improved over season 1, but I didn't even make it to the end of the first episode. I just couldn't bring myself to care.

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on October 31, 2014, 05:10:18 PM
On Agents of Shield the character have all either been exposed to technology or genetically engineered or altered. I don't think there have been any proper mutants yet

The Hong Kong guy in the first season who could make fire out of thin air had innate abilities. He was only exposed to technology to make him more powerful.

That said, they did make a point of saying that these people are very, very rare.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 01, 2014, 01:02:25 AM
How is anyone meant to know the difference though? To the public at large, Spider-Man or Thor could easily be filthy filthy muties.

Yeah, I never really got that. Like in Civil War - the superhero registration act was actually perfectly reasonable (why wouldn't you want someone to register their ability to blow up your house just by thinking hard?) but once you place it in the same universe as the X-Men, it ends up with a lot of fascist baggage that skews the story.

Obel

So I did a bit of reading about the Infinity Gauntlet storyline in the comics, as I know nothing about it really. Since reading the wiki page on it I have to say, if the films don't end like the comics with
Spoiler alert
Thanos depressed about no longer controlling the universe and deciding to just work on a farm instead, with the heroes deciding he's no longer a threat....
[close]
Then... then I'm going to demand a refund for ALL the Marvel films.

Povidone

Yeah I read the Infinity Gauntlet a while back after hearing a bit about where they seemed to be going with the Avengers films. It's proper fucking barmy, I'm not sure if they'll get every aspect of it in there but that ending..yeah definitely. Thanos is a really interesting character in it, I hope they manage to work Adam Warlock into the Marvel Universe as he's pretty central to that story, spending most of it taunting Thanos about the fact that he's tried multiple times in the past to take over the universe and somehow always manages to sabotage himself. They might just use Doctor Strange for the same purpose though, they've already re-jigged a few storylines from the comics to make more use of their named film characters.

EDIT to say I quite like Agents of SHIELD, actually.

Tiny Poster

There was a pretty cool new Thanos/Adam Strange graphic novel by Thanos creator Jim Starlin released a few months ago. Worth a read.

Skip Bittman

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 03, 2014, 08:18:23 PM

It's more than just camera angles and lighting. Breaking Bad and Sopranos were shot on 35mm film. So that's why they look like... film.

Hannibal is shot on Arri Alexas, digital but they can get a decent, stylized look filtered & tweezed to hell and back.

SteveDave

Ultron's voice scares the shit out of me.

That is all.

ZoyzaSorris

This has a scene shot in Crofton park apparently, specifically the rivoli ballroom down the road from me. Interested to see that!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A new trailer is out. www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUoeqvedMo

I noticed that one of the effects shots looks unfinished. Let us all take that as proof that the film will be the shittest thing ever and will definitely be a box office flop.

VegaLA

Did Wolverine's claws briefly appear in that trailer ?

The Roofdog

Quote from: VegaLA on March 05, 2015, 07:56:10 PM
Did Wolverine's claws briefly appear in that trailer ?

Part of Hawkeye's new costume, apparently.

SavageHedgehog

I hope it's not quite as grimdark as the marketing/press bable implies. Maybe Marvel thinks their humour quotant is now taken up by Ant Man, Gaurdians of the Galaxy etc.? I also hope the inevitable "Avengers fight off hoardes of annonymous x" bit doesn't drag on too long. Other than that, I must admit it looks pretty good, and I say this more as "guy who gets dragged along to these" than a genuine fan.

biggytitbo

I big robot seems a bit of a step down threat wise than an evil God.

phantom_power

I think with Whedon at the helm the jokes will still be there

SavageHedgehog

The problem there for me is that I don't always enjoy Whedon's humour. I'm an awkward bastard, it must be said.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Tiny Poster on November 10, 2014, 07:52:27 PM
There was a pretty cool new Thanos/Adam Strange graphic novel by Thanos creator Jim Starlin released a few months ago. Worth a read.

Has Jim Starlin been taking some creative writing classes then?

Joy Nktonga

Hey, Crab; The Starlin/Aparo/DeCarlo era was my favourite era of the Batman comics. Won't hear a bad word said against the man. I don't know much about his work after that mind you.