Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:33:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Started by BPFHAY, October 24, 2014, 03:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obel

Sunk 20 hours into Rebirth this weekend, only stopping because I'll never sleep if I carry on. It's so nice to have a smooth Isaac to play, it's pretty much the definitive version, my only gripe being the soundtrack being very unmemorable. The Caves music is okay, but that's all. Nothing with the same gravitas as the Womb music in the original. Wish there was an option to switch actually.

Best combo I had (which I was furious to have unexpectedly switched by a domino room) was Monstro's lung and chocolate milk. Basically made every attack a screen filling mega powered insta kill.

BritishHobo

I think I'm massively shit at vanilla Isaac. Like, I know it's a hard game, but I've given it fifty-eight hours and not even reached Mom yet. How is that possible?

BPFHAY

gabrielconroy

Is your keyboard plugged in? You may be typing by copying and pasting letters from elsewhere with your mouse, but that won't work for playing the game.

Beagle 2

I have never played this before, but it was all free on PS plus this month, and I'm hooked. Very good fun.

This was a good post.

madhair60

I've just done one clear after the "Everything Is Terrible!" unlock, so I think I'm about five or six Heart kills in?

Needless to say this is my favourite game of all time.  Still.  In fact, I may have said it in this thread.

Azazel is so broken.

Obel

Is Azazel supposed to be as easy as he is? I smashed a playthrough with him without receiving that many good powerups!

BritishHobo

In my weak defence, a good chunk of those hours are me leaving it open in the background, occasionally fucking off to bed out of frustration.

BPFHAY

Being good at Isaac essentially means being familiar with every room that can be generated, knowing what the items and combinations do, and learning the enemy & boss patterns. That gives you a good bed for experimenting with item combinations and choosing your pickups, rooms and other actions strategically.

gabrielconroy

I played this last night, and I agree with the people saying the graphics are worse. They seem much grainier. I fixed it by closing everything else and turning some graphics options down, but it was struggling a bit on my computer, which is slightly odd.

Still absurdly good fun, though, mind. And I like the new big scrolly rooms. Those spiders on the walls are scary, aren't they!

brat-sampson

Just beat Satan with moderate damage and fairly low tears (triple shot and no boosts). The terrifying part was having Curse of the Unknown on the final floor (hides you health, I mean, seriously!) and also Guppy's Paw (turns a heart container into three soul hearts). Basically I knew I had a whole ton of health (I picked up the wafer early on, which means those later floors still only do a half-heart per hit instead of turning to a full one), but no clue actually how much at any given time, so was much more stressful than it should've been. Oh well, Judas and Mom's Knife await future runs.

There are some amazing synergy videos on youtube. I saw this one today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk0_PEIKqms
After about 13 mins in, he re-rolls his entire character, winds up with Monstro's Lung (charge and release a volley of shots) Parasite (shots split up on impact) something that gives splash damage on top of that and... Strange Attractor (tears magnetically pull in enemies, items you name it). He's launching insane amounts of fire that just draws everything onscreen into the maelstrom. It's... beautiful.

He notices something's fishy about 14.40.

Beagle 2

FUCKING GAME.

It's amazing but so addictive and so frustrating. I think I was just about to go through the door to the last boss when a fucking INVISIBLE enemy killed me just now. I am not retiring in a good mood, and I already dreamt about the bastard thing last night.

But it's flipping good.

BritishHobo

DONE IT LADS.

Reached her on my next playthrough, killed her two playthroughs later.

You may now relax, and return to your normal routines.

BPFHAY

I'm currently gunning for
Spoiler alert
Mega Satan
[close]

brat-sampson

I can honestly only assume anyone having a downer on the music hasn't unlocked the cellar. Bastard's been in my head all day.

BPFHAY

Quote from: BPFHAY on November 12, 2014, 12:53:10 AM
I'm currently gunning for
Spoiler alert
Mega Satan
[close]
Gunned it. Anti-climactic. I guess I have to do a lot more.

garbed_attic

My bro got the combination of laser 2, polyphemus, wafer, poison touch and holy mantle this morning... which he was so pleased about he came into my room to wake me up and tell me.

23 years old.

brat-sampson

I was *this* close to thinking the game made it a little too easy to get overpowered, then my last run with Blue Baby I got Demon Bum and still managed to die to
Spoiler alert
Isaac
[close]
despite entering the
Spoiler alert
Cathedral
[close]
with full health. I had to fight Death like 4 times and my damage just wasn't up to it. Gutted, as I was within spitting crying distance of the
Spoiler alert
D6!!
[close]

BPFHAY

I think it is true that 1/5 runs is going to suddenly go to super-overpowered-kill-end-bosses-before-you-even-get-to-see them mode. But it is what it is; that's fun too. And you can just not take items if you don't want to have a bit of a giggle. Or play as Blue Baby on hard mode or something.

madhair60

Not getting to play this as much as I'd like.  I've beaten Mom's Heart with every unlocked character now, still yet to unlock Judas or visit Sheol.  I heard there was a glitch with unlocking endings if you hit Sheol early, so I purposely haven't done it.

How many Heart kills do you need to unlock guaranteed Sheol, again?

brat-sampson

I think it's 10. Basically every time you'll unlock a thing, when you hit It Lives, it swaps out the fight and permanently opens exits after the fight, rather than only if earned.

madhair60

I found the Fetus in a Jar last time, so I think I might be getting close?  The save screen icon has turned into a fetus.

God I love The Binding of Isaac.

Obel

I've completed a heart run as every character now. Can't remember if the last game showed the little pad showing what endings you completed, but I've done Sheol with about 75% of them, lucked out with getting the door to Sheol quite often before I properly unlocked it. Not experienced any issues with doing Sheol early though Madhair, plus it looks like they just rolled out another patch so likely any issues like that have been fixed.

Looking forward to another weekend of mashing this game. It's hard to concentrate properly when so tired after work.

brat-sampson

According to the unbelievably useful (and totally jam-packed w/ spoilers) Platinum God website, yes, fetus inna Jar is 9 heart kills. I'm sure for the first few the save file started racking up X's in the corner to indicate the count but some unlocks overwrite that and swap it for something else, which is less useful.

madhair60

video i done

Seed: HZYS ZG9M

TheFalconMalteser

Anyone else struggling to play it on a game pad and massive 50" tv?*

*Television, I mean.

Beagle 2

I'm struggling to play it on my Vita, it's not just that I'm shit, honest. I've got to the door to the final boss (mother?) with Isaac twice and died, it's doing my head in that everybody else seems to be breezing through it. Mind you, I only just worked out that you could use the pill things by touching the screen. I don't want to go any of the other characters until I've beaten it once with Isaac.

It's an amazingly addictive game isn't it? It's tuned into whatever happens in your brain with a rewards system perfectly.

Benjaminos

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on November 17, 2014, 10:31:43 AM
Anyone else struggling to play it on a game pad and massive 50" tv?*

47" here, but I'm not having any problems - was a bit weird at first, everything felt a bit too slippery, but I've got used to it now. Why are you struggling?

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 17, 2014, 12:36:44 PM
I'm struggling to play it on my Vita, it's not just that I'm shit, honest. I've got to the door to the final boss (mother?)

I hate to break it to you, but
Spoiler alert
that's not even close to being the final boss.
[close]

Obel

I was playing this a lot yesterday, for some reason I just couldn't complete it. Just had a day of bad runs, crap item drops and whatnot. Decided to start going through the challenges. Still hopelessly addicted.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Benjaminos on November 17, 2014, 12:40:42 PM

I hate to break it to you, but
Spoiler alert
that's not even close to being the final boss.
[close]

Well, it would be nice to get to the fucker at least! Looks like I'm just shite then. Can't stop playing though.