Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:46:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Despised Films You're Happy To Defend

Started by Van Dammage, October 24, 2014, 06:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

Whereas the scene in Temple of Doom where a man is put in a cage and slowly lowered into a pit of lava whilst screaming as some lads are chanting definitely didn't freak me the hell out as a child.

Oh, and just before this, some dude RIPS HIS FUCKING HEART OUT.

Zetetic

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on November 02, 2014, 09:38:05 PM
Wasn't Sphere, more or less the same film, but set underwater rather than on a spaceship. I've not seen it in a long while, but I seem to remember it being very similar.
Sphere's
Spoiler alert
also set on a spaceship, but one that's
[close]
underwater.

Quote from: Steven on November 02, 2014, 09:47:36 PM
That and a million others, as I tried to point out before. - lost contact with previous mission, send another crew to investigate, they come upon a derelict, something sinister takes over and infests the new crew
Although your list of common elements do miss the things that I like about Sphere - the build-up to discovering the builders of the spaceship, the nature of the 'something sinister'
Spoiler alert
which isn't essentially sinister at all in Sphere
[close]

It's not terribly clever, although it's more imaginative than Event Horizon, much of the film doesn't progress very smoothly (and mostly I'm not convinced this is intentional) and a lot of the visuals don't work as well as they're supposed to. But I like the idea, and the film's a reasonable stab at it in the context of some compromises.

Deanjam

Okaaay ...

Saturday morning adventure stuff. I find it ludicrously entertaining.

Another that just plain entertains me. Nice first person kill scene. And great to see The Rock as a baddie. 'Big fuckin' gun!'

Not sure if this is hated, more ignored, but I think it's a cracking film.

non capisco

Quote from: monolith on December 17, 2014, 07:58:22 PM
Whereas the scene in Temple of Doom where a man is put in a cage and slowly lowered into a pit of lava whilst screaming as some lads are chanting definitely didn't freak me the hell out as a child.

Oh, and just before this, some dude RIPS HIS FUCKING HEART OUT.

My Mum still goes on about taking me to the cinema to see that when I was 6. She turned to me in alarm assuming I'd been traumatised by Molar Ram's anti-cardiovascular antics only to discover that "the little sod was bloody loving it." And yet I was terrified by an old woman who says 'that's fizzy' at the end of a Soda Stream advert. Funny old world.