Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:06:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films Stupid People Think Are Clever

Started by Puce Moment, October 26, 2014, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thraxx

Natural Born Killers.  I wish I'd had a penny for every time I'd heard some dinlobe going on about the bit where they talk about demons I'd have have thrupence (at least twice that actually, I just wanted to type thrupence).

And ALL Guy Ritchie films.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 05, 2014, 12:09:54 AM
I think a lot of the nominations in this thread come from having a problem with the fanbase more than a problem with the film

Well yeah, the whole thread is structured around this notion. Not sure what your point is here. It's akin to going into the Despised films thread and saying the discussion there is mainly centred around how some films aren't as bad as they're generally perceived to be.

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 05, 2014, 12:09:54 AMNolan fans bumping his films up the list on IMDb doesn't have anything to do with the quality of his work, and that's not on its own a valid criticism.

I was the one that raised this point, and it wasn't a criticism - it was a response to Unicornio inferring that Inception's high IMDB rating was an indication of its quality.  Bit odd to pick up on that point when many other substantive criticisms and observations have been made about the film throughout the thread.

Kane Jones

Quote from: thraxx on November 05, 2014, 07:14:27 AM
Natural Born Killers.  I wish I'd had a penny for every time I'd heard some dinlobe going on about the bit where they talk about demons I'd have have thrupence (at least twice that actually, I just wanted to type thrupence).

I like the bit where it goes like a sitcom.  It's well clever, that.

greenman

Honestly the vast majority of the films being mentioned in this thread just seem to be smarter than average modern blockbusters that those who view little but modern blockbusters naturally consider "smart films". Such people likely aren't even comparing these films to the artier works being listed here that they simply don't have exposure to.

thraxx

Also, Lucy, which I had the misfortune to see the other day.  The weak as shit sub-matrix plot and acting is secondary and only there to justify the shitty CGI scenes, which were obviously conceived first, by an excitable 13 year old boy.  It's clever cos it looks like its clever, but it isn't.  It's just shit.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: greenman on November 05, 2014, 08:41:16 AM
Honestly the vast majority of the films being mentioned in this thread just seem to be smarter than average modern blockbusters that those who view little but modern blockbusters naturally consider "smart films".

I think that's a very fair observation, and this thread is more than a bit sneery and elitist[nb]welcome to CAB![/nb]. The implicative undercurrent to most of the posts (mine included) is that the poster is more intelligent and more cultured than the philistinic thickos whose fave French movie is Amelie.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on November 05, 2014, 09:34:13 AM
I think that's a very fair observation, and this thread is more than a bit sneery and elitist[nb]welcome to CAB![/nb]. The implicative undercurrent to most of the posts (mine included) is that the poster is more intelligent and more cultured than the philistinic thickos whose fave French movie is Amelie.

Maybe we just don't endorse white-washed racist depictions of Paris![nb]Jokez. I like Amelie, especially that shot with the cat listening to the bedtime stories. I'm even leaving off the accent from the title to show how non-pretentious I am![/nb]