Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I used to think the sun shone out of Oasis' collective arse..

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, October 26, 2014, 01:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
..and that Blur were (as Mogwai stated) shite.

Many years later I probably couldn't give a monkey's fuck about any song that Oasis have recorded but even the more obscure Blur tracks can keep me captivated.

Funny how growing up affects us all.

Please share tales of bands you obsessed over as a callow youth but despise now..

Vodka Margarine

There are plenty of bands I liked long ago who no longer purposefully cross my aural threshold, but none of them make me actively wince with shame. Nope, not even Younger Younger 28's. Unless you're a Lostprophets fan, I just don't understand how anyone could possibly completely disown and deny the goodness of something they clearly once deemed to be, well, good.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, I don't think there's ever been a band I used to like which I've completely disowned.  For instance, I was big into some of those emoey bands like My Chemical Romance and The Used when I was a teenager, and while they barely register as musicians when I think of them now, if one of their songs comes on shuffle I still know exactly why I thought it was good at that time in my life.  My feelings towards individual artists don't change all that much, rather my priorities do.

But I do think both Blur and Oasis are shite, bar a few songs.

kittens

muse were the first band i absolutely loved, but they are wack

Milverton

I still love the Smiths, but I absolutely loathe Morrissey. It's great to hear those wonderful songs, but now, knowing what a prize twat he really is, it sort of tempers my enjoyment of them.

It isn't even that his music no longer floats my boat. It is the things he actually says that makes it ever harder to take him seriously. My initial view of World Peace as being an okay album has changed too. It's a melody-free, lyrically poor pile of shit, worse even than Kill Uncle.

Custard

Quote from: kittens on October 26, 2014, 09:57:52 AM
muse were the first band i absolutely loved, but they are wack
I dunno, I still think Absolution is a pretty decent album, if overlong

I still love Oasis and Blur. Suck it up, schlaaaags!!!

Spiteface

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on October 26, 2014, 01:26:04 AM
..and that Blur were (as Mogwai stated) shite.

Many years later I probably couldn't give a monkey's fuck about any song that Oasis have recorded but even the more obscure Blur tracks can keep me captivated.

Funny how growing up affects us all.

Please share tales of bands you obsessed over as a callow youth but despise now..

Radiohead.  I came on board with OK Computer, and thought they were great. Loved Kid A and Amnesiac. Thought Hail to the Thief was good. But everything after has left me cold. I think I actually grew out of listening to them, or they really DO suck. Yet the way people rave about them (Youtube comments in particular), you'd swear Thom Yorke actually invented sound or something.

samadriel

Did you listen to 'The Bends'?  I think they've gotten a bit dull, but they were something special in their day.

Oasis were something of a pop culture Year Zero for me, though in hindsight I would class myself as a huge fan of Definitely Maybe but largely indifferent to the majority of the rest of their output. In the wake of the disappointment of (What's The Story) Morning Glory?, I latched onto loads of up and coming indie bands, hoping to recapture the thrill of that first Oasis experience. One band I thought might fill the hole was The Stereophonics, who I even went to see twice. I suppose a couple of their singles are okay but I rather find them to be a laughably shite band these days.

I go through phases though. I got massively into Zeppelin about 10 years ago, got all the albums and even bought that Hammer of the Gods book. I loved them. I still rate them but it's rare for me to listen to them, unless I fancy a quick game of Rollcage 2 on the PS1, in which case I'll accompany it with a blast of Achilles' Last Stand.

El Unicornio, mang

I actually had a scrap book into which I would put every picture and news clipping of the band from NME/Melody Maker/Select, etc. Plus the obligatory Oasis calendar, t-shirts, books, etc and styling myself on the Gallagher brothers.

I didn't listen to any of their albums after the second one. The debut is still a classic for me but talk about diminishing returns.

RickyGerbail

I always had pretty brilliant taste so there haven't been any particular bands that i've loved as a teenager and then started despising now that i'm older. There are however a bunch of records that i listened to way too much just because i refused to believe that they weren't as good as earlier releases by the artists who made them . The criminally awful Machina/the machines of god is one example, probably listened to that nightmare of a record over 40 times before i had to give up and admit that it wasn't going to grow on me.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Spiteface on October 26, 2014, 02:19:27 PM
Radiohead.  I came on board with OK Computer, and thought they were great. Loved Kid A and Amnesiac. Thought Hail to the Thief was good. But everything after has left me cold. I think I actually grew out of listening to them, or they really DO suck. Yet the way people rave about them (Youtube comments in particular), you'd swear Thom Yorke actually invented sound or something.

Fuckin' A, pal. I agree with everything you said, bar the fact that "Kid A" is still one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. When I listen to Radiohead I genuinely feel like they were trying to find their sound prior to "Kid A", and then afterwards they scuppered their new-found talent on a bunch of mediocre drivel.

Contrary to the theme of thread, there's a lot of music from my youth which I have revisited and fallen in love with all over again, for more mature and in-depth reasons. Nirvana, Green Day and Marilyn Manson are three key examples of this.

Still, though, there is a LOT of stuff I used to worship and have since realised how fucking awful it is. Million Dead are right at the top of that list. For years now I've been harping on about how rubbish Frank Turner is as a solo artist and how much better suited he was screaming at the front of MD, without actually going back and listening to it with six or seven *checks* bloody hell, eleven years of hindsight. I did so a couple of weeks ago and oh my god, it's terrible. Whilst some of the music is decent and Frank's voice does indeed sound good, the lyrics are so cringe-inducing that the rest is rendered irrelevant.

"Charlie and the Propaganda Myth Machine" is a dig at how children are brainwashed by McDonalds and Roald Dahl (which is point-missing bollocks regarding Dahl, considering the fucking blatant message of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", Frank, you simpering child) and contains the stellar line "Mom and dad, I'm sorry, I won't do what Enid Blyton told me." Honestly, at that point, I turned it off and vowed to never listen to it again.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

No, I've kind of kept hold of what I liked growing up. Never was a scene person while a lot of the stuff I like isn't mainstream enough to invite ire. Even some of the sillier 90s dance music/ibiza anthems I have a hazy fondness for.

I didn't enjoy or pretend to enjoy a lot of early 00s indie while in sixth form/uni so happy to say I don't have to look back and cringe.

Rolf Lundgren

Sonic Youth. Used to be really into them when I was 21 and absolutely loved Daydream Nation and Dirty but I haven't listened to either of them for years and whenever I hear a Sonic Youth song on my iPod I usually skip it. I don't really have any embarrassment or dislike for them as I think the music is good, it's more that I'm never in the mood to listen to them and haven't been for ages.

The one album I see on my shelf that always makes me stop and wonder what the hell I was doing is the self-titled breakthrough album of Hoobastank. It staggers me that I'm that same person.

With Oasis I knew a few friends who were completely engrossed in them to an annoying point. Every conversation about music would come back to them and one friend in particular also only enjoyed music that the Gallaghers recommended or were inspired by (Paul Weller, The Beatles, I had to listen to a Cotton Mather album once). Oasis arguably had a very powerful affect for whatever reason and I can't think of many bands who managed to get the same blind devotion from people. 

Absorb the anus burn

Frank Zappa. I found him fascinating, yet impenetrable. It was like he'd put a large wall around himself and his music, and you're essentially forced to climb over this wall or a dig a deep tunnel to access him.

One day I got there...

Conversely, I used to give heavy rotation to The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Moby, Air, Fatboy Slim... I haven't played one of their albums now for 6-7 years.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 26, 2014, 05:08:13 PM
I don't really have any embarrassment or dislike for them as I think the music is good, it's more that I'm never in the mood to listen to them and haven't been for ages.

This sums those artists up for me.

Brundle-Fly

Oi/ comedy punk*.

(*or Pathetique a term Garry Bushell once coined)

God, I listened to some unmitigated shite as a teenager in the early eighties: Sham 69, Peter And The Test Tube Babies, Splodgenessabounds, The Exploited, Chaos, The Business, The Gonads.... I still can't totally turn my back on them out of a false sense of loyalty.  And in my short-lived flirtation with psychobilly. See King Kurt, Guana Batz, The Coffin Nails, Demented Are Go too.

However, I still think The Toy Dolls were brilliant live and The 4 Skins first album is an Oi classic.

The Masked Unit

Used to love Aesop Rock but just can't listen to his voice now. i know a lot of people would have always had that view.

chand

'Morning Glory' was the first album I ever bought with my own money, for a while in 1995 my CD collection was solely Oasis albums and singles, plus an old cassette copy of 'Bad'. I learned to play guitar from Oasis tab books. But I just can't listen to them now. It's not that I've suddenly realised they were really derivative, it's just that their music is tied to a very specific period of my life. Like, 'Be Here Now' came out on my GCSE results day, I remember getting my mum to buy it from Asda while I was at school getting my results, so it's inextricably linked with me being 16. I think part of is because I was from Manchester, Oasis were a massive part of the culture there in that specific time and place. 'Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants' reminds me of the day I bought it, I was in an Our Price the day it came out to get it and 'MACHINA' by the Pumpkins, and I got vox popped by Key 103 asking me what I thought of the new Oasis album, which I hadn't yet heard because it was 9.30am the day it came out.

Likewise The Charlatans, I have fond memories of a long summer in the 90s where I played football every day and 'Tellin' Stories' I associate with walking to and from football in a floppy Ocean Colour Scene-esque sun hat with shit reflective blue shades on and that album on my Walkman. I tried to listen to it recently as a 33-year-old man and it was just underwhelming.

Basically, everything I listened to pre-2000 is like a part of my youth and I can't listen to any of it any more for some reason. 2000 onwards, when I turned 20, is where albums were released that I still listen to regularly to this day ('White Pony', 'Relationship Of Command', 'Rated R' etc).

momatt

The music is still ok, but Noel Gallagher is still one of my favourite comedians.
Here he is taking the piss out of Liam, without him even noticing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCp8tnT9iRY

I bought that Ocean Colour Scene album (Mosely Shoals, I believe) and even as a callow youth soon realised it was utterly shite. I remember thinking "I shouldn't be listening to this, I'm young - this is old people's music".  That period of Noel-endorsed Dad-rock really helped turn me off Oasis for good, the fact that a band I loved who seemed so exciting on Definitely Maybe was actually so terminally boring they'd willingly listen to OCS and think it was good. It felt like I'd been conned, that Noel had ripped off his mask to reveal the gnarled face of Mark Knopfler or someone, tapping his toes to the 'Scene whilst wearing a denim waistcoat and drinking bitter. It wasn't quite the pop revolution I'd imagined as a 13-your old Definitely Maybe fan. It was one of the first times I thought they were actually clueless, as opposed to worshipping them as I had circa-1994.

Of course in hindsight it was obvious Oasis were always traditionalists, but my youthful optimism had let me get carried away. I made an effort to get into music that wasn't bored-looking white blokes strumming guitars after that, feeling it was my duty as a yoof to be a bit more forward thinking than Ocean Colour Scene, The Bluetones and Wonderwall.

Anyway, recently some of Pavement's smart-arsery has left me a little cold listening back to it. I probably still like them overall though, it's just a few later songs that seem overly concerned with impressing listeners with verbosity and quirkiness, whilst actually being slightly dull musically.

I heard something off Idlewild's first album come up on shuffle the other day and it really was awful, screeching little boy vocals over a tinny, too-fast, tuneless racket. I remember really liking that record at the time. Camera Obscura horrified me with their tweeness during a similar trawl through my randomised music collection, although weirdly Tallulah Gosh didn't bother me. I can't remember why I liked Apples in Stereo these days, again it popped up during shuffle mode and made me nauseous with it's screeching, Cornelius sounded disappointingly mundane on my last listen and again, too quirky.

Stuff like Weezer, Mudhoney and Nirvana is borderline unlistenable because of the mental images it conjures up of me as a whiny, spotty Kevin & Perry esque adolescent complaining about my pocket money allowance and sulking in my room.

I could easily change my mind on all of those artists tomorrow though. Except Ocean Colour Scene, obviously.

Sam

Almost all the prog I listened to as a teenager, like Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X etc,I now regard as gash.

great_badir

Quote from: Sam on October 27, 2014, 11:15:37 AM
Dream Theater

Same.  Despite already being very well versed in "proper classic" prog and the more decent new-wave, I obsessed myself with DT for several years and saw them a few times (actually, being slightly disingenuous, as the first time I saw them - at the Hammersmith Odeon - remains a fondly remembered gig, mainly cos it was 90% instrumental), but now I can only manage a couple of tracks from Metropolis 2.

I also got heavily into 808 State, The Shamen and Stereo MCs in the 90s, but I think that may have just been a passing genre phase.  Still love Boss Drum, though.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 26, 2014, 07:04:26 PM
  And in my short-lived flirtation with psychobilly. See King Kurt, Guana Batz, The Coffin Nails, Demented Are Go too.

I was in a Psychobilly band for a while just for something to do (I had a drummer mate who was massively into it and I was looking for something to fill my time) after about 2 years I knocked it on the head having come to the conclusion that Psychobilly is possibly one of the worst genres of punk or any kind of music in general. The scene is chock full of closet EDL knuckle draggers and mediocre bands, even some of the "classic" bands wouldn't have made more than one shitty album and faded away in any other genre. On top of all this there's the cult of personality that surrounds Paul Fenech of The Meteors, very unsettling to see his neo nazi bodyguards standing by to rough people up at gigs if they think they're against the horrible little cunt.

Fuck Psychobilly in its face I say (although I still do like a couple of early Demented are Go albums).

BPFHAY

I don't understand Oasis at all. I never have. All of the interesting music that came out of the Madchester era, and the world at large settles on the most boring, done-before dad rock bell-ends.

I don't get how Oasis versus Blur was ever even a thing.

great_badir

True story - I saw Blur supporting James at the Colston Hall in Bristol, circa 1989/90.

Don't remember anything about it other than that (I was 10/11 and not really interested - went with my sister, who was babysitting me and she was a huge James fan).

stunted

Quote from: The Masked Unit on October 26, 2014, 07:32:44 PM
Used to love Aesop Rock but just can't listen to his voice now. i know a lot of people would have always had that view.

I feel similarly about a lot of backpacker hiphop I was listening to in my teens. I liked to think I was above all that joyless, angsty stuff on Kerrang at the time, not realising I was enjoying it through another genre.

Van Dammage

Quote from: momatt on October 27, 2014, 09:51:40 AM
The music is still ok, but Noel Gallagher is still one of my favourite comedians.
Here he is taking the piss out of Liam, without him even noticing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCp8tnT9iRY

Both of them are hilarious on the dvd commentary :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLZ7uzFIMoY . "Whats up next...? OH I fuckin hate this choon" "see that, I'm not really shaving in that video, that's acting, that is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKFHRvMlNk8
"What's that all about? Oh there's me looking like Clint Eastwood, thats fucking cool"
I love how both of them seem to hate every music video they made.

billyandthecloneasaurus

When I first got into music around the mid 00s, I liked a lot of the really dull, average indie bands in the NME.  The likes of Maximo Park, the Futureheads etc.  I still really love Art Brut, and respect (although rarely listen to) the Young Knives.  I think that whilst they are pretty limited musically like the rest of them, their lyrics are clever and funny enough to make them worthwhile.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: stunted on October 27, 2014, 04:28:34 PM
I feel similarly about a lot of backpacker hiphop I was listening to in my teens. I liked to think I was above all that joyless, angsty stuff on Kerrang at the time, not realising I was enjoying it through another genre.

Yeah, like Sage Francis as well. I used to love all that stuff because it was an alternative to gangsta rap, which at the time I hated. Now I'm nearly 30 and I've realised that the only hip hop worth giving a shit about is gangsta rap.

maett

The The Infected and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions a year late I'd discovered LSD, Spacemen 3, a book called Acid Trip Flashback Psychedelic Music Guide by Vernon Joynson, and record fairs. I've never felt the urge to listen to either band since 1987. Until now...