Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I used to think the sun shone out of Oasis' collective arse..

Started by Nice Relaxing Poo, October 26, 2014, 01:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

I used to be a near-on obsessive fan of The Libertines and would go to every gig they did and went to see Pete Doherty play in his bedroom and stuff but I now literally cannot listen to them at all. I don't know if it's because it's shit or if it's just so tied in with a year of my life that hearing anything by them transports me back to being an awkward virgin teenager taking his first steps in to adulthood.

I got pissed up a couple of years ago and listened to Up the Bracket and then the first Babyshambles album and I honestly thought the Babyshambles one was better.

imitationleather

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on October 27, 2014, 06:26:12 PM
When I first got into music around the mid 00s, I liked a lot of the really dull, average indie bands in the NME.  The likes of Maximo Park, the Futureheads etc.  I still really love Art Brut, and respect (although rarely listen to) the Young Knives.  I think that whilst they are pretty limited musically like the rest of them, their lyrics are clever and funny enough to make them worthwhile.

I'd say that Futureheads were a cut above Maximo Park. Maximo Park were a band I went to see when they first started touring and enjoyed it but then they got signed to Warp(!) and by the time they released their album I was already bored. I can still listen to The Futureheads and enjoy it. Futureheads were always absolutely cracking live, too.

Art Brut are a stone-cold classic band. I saw them live last year and they were just as brilliant as usual. Nothing to be embarrassed about here, sir. I wouldn't lump them with the other early/mid '00s bands. They just happened to come about at the same time.

I used to listen to the *prepares to vomit* New Rave *vomits* bands who emerged a few years later. Put some Hadouken! on recently and literally could not finish a track. It was utterly dreadful. I must have been on loads of sugar when I liked them or something.

The worst band I ever somehow convinced myself I liked: The Others *cringe*

Quote from: imitationleather on October 28, 2014, 04:44:01 PM

The worst band I ever somehow convinced myself I liked: The Others *cringe*

I live in the same block of flats as the bassist from The Others.

That's my lame to fame.

I.D. Smith

Mine would probably be Guns N' Roses.

Got into them via a mate who gave me a loan of his Use Your Illusion 1 CD, shortly after I'd got my first every portable CD player for my 15th birthday. Up to that point my musical history was pretty sparse – a Bros Album on cassette (listened to once, I think), a compilation cassette out of Dixons (of which I mainly favoured the Shaggy track 'Oh Carolina'), and the CD soundtracks to Dumb and Dumber (great, and still have fondness of to this day) and the Mortal Kombat movie (a bit weird and noisy for my 15 year old self). But when I first heard the opening bass notes off 'Right Next Door To Hell', and subsequent guitar scrape noise, something clicked. Then later on in the song Axl Rose swears and I was like "Yes! Sold! This is the band for me!". Unfortunately I got into them in 1996, when they were barely a band. Still, I soldiered on as a new fan, and bought the entire discography (5 cds). I bought photo book things. I taped a documentary of the Use Your Illusion Tour off BBC 2 and watched it regularly. I got the two VHS live videos. I wore a GnR T-Shirt sometimes, the kind you find these days on sale in HMV, with a distressed logo. The first thing I ever looked up online was Guns N' Roses via my uncle's new computer (I never did find anything, and instead ended up on a Guns N' Wankers webpage, somehow). I sang a bit of 'Get In The Ring' in the vicinity of a girl I liked in an attempt to appear "edgy" and impress her (it didn't work and I think it was, in fact, detrimental to her opinion of me from that point forwards). I even tried growing my hair out during this period, but after 6 months of looking like James Spader in Stargate, I gave up and got it cut short again (sadly my hair these days looks like James Spader in Blacklist).

But most of the time I listened to those records over and over and over[nb]Okay, maybe not The Spaghetti Incident so much. Or G N' R Pies (Lies) that much either.[/nb]. To be honest, I rarely knew what the subject matter of most of the songs on those albums were. It didn't really matter to me, because it was mainly the Slash guitar solos that hooked me, and they were all over the albums like a rash[nb]A Slash rash[/nb]. It got me into learning guitar for myself. I began judging music on the length and complexity of the solos contained within. I took a snobbish dislike to most modern indie music because, as far as I was concerned, indie music had wimpy guitar solos where'd they just play the vocal melody on the guitar a bit, or some basic plinky plonky gubbins that would last a couple of bars before the singing started again. They'd even sometimes have a trumpet solo instead of a guitar solo[nb]Kevin Carter by the Manic Street Preachers[/nb]! Why would you do that when instead you could have Slash-like widdly stuff all over the place, which automatically improves a song by 83%? I didn't really get many other CDs around this time, but the few I did were not that far removed from the GnR template (although not stuff like Poison or Motley Crue which would be the natural easy side-step – instead it was Ugly Kid Joe and The Spin Doctors). Basically anything I suspected would have reasonable guitar work all over it.

This period lasted about 12 months until one day I got The Complete Rosetta Stone Stone Roses by The Stone Roses, under the mistaken belief that it would all sound like the bit of The Second Coming I'd recently heard on the radio. I was disappointed to find it was mainly a bunch of more poppy and melodic jangly songs from the earlier period of the band, which I was unaware of. However, after a while it grew on me and I began to appreciate stuff that was a bit more catchy and melodic. GnR started to seem to be more and more.....naff, I guess. I started to mentally distance myself from the band. I hid the CDs under my bed. I got into The Housemartins and other jangly stuff instead (I was always up to speed with the latest tunes). The only thing that remained was a poster of Slash which was allowed wall space, but on the whole GnR felt like some bloated, try-to-be-controversial part of my life I wanted to bury.

Recently I've been revisiting some of the overplayed records from my youth to see how they hold up these days, including the Kerrang/Metal Hammer stuff I got during my GnR days. Some of it I've got back into, some of it gives me a bit of nostalgia, and some of it does nothing for me. But when it comes to GnR....I've tried listening to the odd bit here and there, but I just can't listen to it objectively – it's like listening to recordings of my teenage-self reading angsty poetry I'd written. To this day I still can't even listen to more than a few seconds of the aforementioned Get In The Ring before cringing and turning it off. I think I might finally give it another listen once I post this, though I might cringe myself into a black hole.

I never bought Chinese Democracy.