Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:18:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar

Started by Johnny Textface, October 27, 2014, 03:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thugler

The entire last act was like some shite from a horror/supernatural movie rather than a sci fi film. The bookshelf scene and ghost haunting was completely at odds with the previous sciencey stuff. Liked bits of the middle though. The spinny scene had absolutely no tension, it was immediately obvious that they would sort it out and there would be a lot of flashy effects of them doing so for about ten minutes.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Buelligan on January 28, 2015, 02:12:33 PM

why can't they make a space flick with sensible, intelligent, people sorting stuff

Yeah, why couldn't he just have been a single, childless, sensible, well spoken, emotionless man who just goes on the mission and everything works out just fine? People are crying out for that kind of thing.

phantom_power

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on March 21, 2015, 04:59:31 AM
Yeah, why couldn't he just have been a single, childless, sensible, well spoken, emotionless man who just goes on the mission and everything works out just fine? People are crying out for that kind of thing.

TO be fair, Apollo 13 did pretty well and that is pretty much what was asked for

Dropshadow

Quote from: Buelligan on January 28, 2015, 02:12:33 PM
...... why can't they make a space flick with sensible, intelligent, people sorting stuff and not acting like a Jeremy Kyle audience? 

You're in luck. Maybe. Hollywood's about to turn Andy Weir's novel "The Martian" into a film. Usually, I like hard SF, but this book was a boring slog to get through. It's all "how many miles can the rover travel with 160 liters of hydrogen fuel, carrying a cargo of 2000 kilograms, in soft sand, with 115 liters of breathable oxygen while coping with a CO2 buildup of 3 liters per hour and gosh, the solar cells aren't recharging properly". And the "jokes" are terrible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_%28film%29

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: phantom_power on March 21, 2015, 08:02:27 AM
TO be fair, Apollo 13 did pretty well and that is pretty much what was asked for

Not really comparable really as Apollo 13 is based on real events and besides there certainly was high jepordy and charismatic performances. Criticising Nolan (whilst being highly fashionable) for giving real heart to an original science fiction story (I didn't find the sentimentality mawkish) when he's usually defined as cold and sterile is to me bizarre.

phantom_power

What was asked for was sensible, intelligent people sorting stuff out. That doesn't preclude emotion, jeopardy or charismatic performances.

Canted_Angle

I enjoyed this much more than I first expected. I've actually watched it three times with a few different people and they all liked it. I don't understand peoples problem with the ending it works perfectly within the context of the film. It's easily the best work Nolan has put out so far.

Benevolent Despot

Hello. I've just watched this and thought the following:

Big grand space and sci-fi films loose their realism and plausibility not through the inclusion of physics and likelihood-stretching phenomena, but rather the lack of humour in the people in them.

All the characters in this and all the other big grand sci-fi concept movies are so bereft of silliness and so leaden with portentousness, that I do not believe they are real people. It's the scripts and performances which preclude identification with the characters, and ultimately the created world.

This is the thing that needs to change.

dark now my pies

Getting around to watching this movie was a bittersweet experience for me because I was meant to go see it with one of the girlfriends I was cheating with at the time because we saw a trailer for it one night at a cinema and we both pinky promised that we would go see it first thing it came out because it looked so ball-grabbingly amazing. We never did. I am glad that I didn't because this is the most boring, interminable piece of crap I have ever been made to witness and I would not have wanted to be responsible for her slipping into a coma or eating her own brains out of boredom.

This movie took immaculate attention to detail to make everything as boring as possible. It ended up costing me 3 hours of my life but bloody hell it felt like 10. Any sense of wonder or intrigue was flattened by it's heavy handed, autistically serious approach. The robots looked stupid. I can't tell if Anne Hathaway is trying to look like Liza Minelli or Adolf Hitler. Matthew Maconohay seemed to be doing his best Cosmo Kramer impression towards the end with his silly voice. After drifting through space for ages and ages the movie only really picked up during the last half hour and despite the desperate sense of panic it tried to create the only thing I could think was that hey this must be one more of Kramer's crazy schemes. How boring do you have to be to try and recreate the ending of 2001 Space Odyssey and replace all the images with bookshelves? And Gravity... one of my most hated of modern sci-fi films. Thanks to the annoying script I only had to be reminded of the movie 20 thousand times. Gravity. Gravity. Gravity. Gravity. Gravity etc. I hope Chris Nolan learns to sharpen up or else I'm not going to watch one of his films again.

checkoutgirl

Just watched this...well as much as humanly possible. I admit I gave up at the bit where he fell into something or other a started looking through windows and crying while looking at his life in the past... I can't even be bothered explaining it's so convoluted. I didn't know what was going on and cared even less. I was in awe at how bad it was. First Dark Knight Rises and now this. I've lost nearly all confidence in Nolan as a director of non gobbledygook. It's good to be ambitious but this is nonsense, and so ernest as well. The Black Hole is a better film than this.

The effects were interesting and I quite liked the robot but the script and acting and general drama were unconvincing and hindered my credulity. Shockingly bad. Worse than Gravity and I don't say that lightly. I'll have to find out what the twist was on Wikipedia.

And my god was it long. Endless. I bailed so for me it literally had no ending. It felt longer than Lord of the Rings and twice as boring.

I attempted to watch this recently but I couldn't due to MM.

I mean... how do people do it? How do people look at this man and cognitively decide 'Yes, this is a normal human being'. What he does onscreen is not acting. It's more akin with Tom Cruise's freaky dead-eyed android shit. He could play a serial killer and they wouldn't have to change a single aspect of his real personality. Ghoulish. Foul.

It's the first Nolan film since The Pledge that I didn't immediately put on my watchlist, and that was purely due to MM's presence, but from what people are saying I can only deduce that the wheels are starting to come off Nolan's gravy train. These overlong, super-serious, exposition-heavy yawn-fests are taking their toll on people and I can see people losing faith if his followup continues in this way. Which he will.

The Roofdog

Do you mean The Prestige? The Prestige was great fun. Teslabowie!