Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:51:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator: Genisys

Started by El Unicornio, mang, October 30, 2014, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So it completely wrecks the original[nb]If you acknowledge its existence, which I wont.[/nb].

Replies From View

If that's the premise then it has to be a reboot, surely.  It can't exist in the same universe.

I'm enjoying how it gets more and more difficult to fit Arnie into these.

This time, instead of using the magic of cinema to stick his head onto the young rippling physique of a much younger bodybuilder (like Terminator Salvation), they have decided that terminators can actually age a bit like people, so it makes sense for the T-800 to look like a man in his sixties.

Custard

I was gonna say "why does Sarah Connor have blonde hair?"

Then remembered she kinda had a blonde do in the original

Best post evar

Custard

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 30, 2014, 10:53:58 PM
I'm enjoying how it gets more and more difficult to fit Arnie into these.

This time, instead of using the magic of cinema to stick his head onto the young rippling physique of a much younger bodybuilder (like Terminator Salvation), they have decided that terminators can actually age a bit like people, so it makes sense for the T-800 to look like a man in his sixties.

I thought they might use him this time as the bloke who the original T-800 was modelled on, or something

Though weirdly, he looks better in that pic than in the third film, from 2003

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 30, 2014, 10:58:04 PM
I thought they might use him this time as the bloke who the original T-800 was modelled on, or something

They've already squandered that, with this terrible comedy scene made for Terminator 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

Unless deleted scenes don't count. Looks like it was on the DVD though.

Replies From View

Why is Arnold Schwarzenegger shitting out of his mouth now?

Replies From View

Quote from: thecuriousorange on October 30, 2014, 11:10:00 PM
They've already squandered that, with this terrible comedy scene made for Terminator 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

Unless deleted scenes don't count. Looks like it was on the DVD though.

I don't think they count.  It seems quite natural for scenes / story strands to be removed from a film and used as the basis for later sequels.  I'm not certain but I think The Amazing Spider-Man had this happen, and Superman 4 was cut to buggery because the studio wanted to keep some parts back for a fifth film.

Big Jack McBastard

I quite liked that bit, yes it's terrible and daft but still it has a place in my heart.

I like to think it was removed from the full film quite late - after a test audience were brought in, each member expecting something of the tone and quality of Terminator 2.

Replies From View

Was there also a deleted scene in Terminator 3 just before the T-850 reappears with more damage to his face than is explained in the film?  It goes from a few make-up cuts and scratches to half the Terminator's head being a CGI skull without any obvious reason.

biggytitbo

In fairness it is a really clever idea how they're explaining Arnies appearenace. And it fits perfectly with the continuity.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 31, 2014, 10:43:13 PM
In fairness it is a really clever idea how they're explaining Arnies appearenace. And it fits perfectly with the continuity.

Why does Arnie have to be locked into all iterations of The Terminator, though, including what appears to be a complete reboot?  It's annoying.  Once Arnie has died will the studio be contracted to include posters of him in the backgrounds of scenes and so on?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on October 31, 2014, 11:10:32 PM
Why does Arnie have to be locked into all iterations of The Terminator, though, including what appears to be a complete reboot?  It's annoying.  Once Arnie has died will the studio be contracted to include posters of him in the backgrounds of scenes and so on?

Well they already established that that model of Terminator looks like Arnie, so its not a big stretch. And as a way of explaining why he's old, it makes perfect sense, and is very clever. The worst thing they could have done is not acknowledge it.

Artemis

I actually like the sound of the plot, but those covers can fuck right off. They look horribly teeny. I didn't know it was possible for anybody to act badly through a fucking photo, but Jai Courtney has managed to do it, and what in the living FUCK is that grin on the skinless terminator? Seriously, what are they thinking there?

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 31, 2014, 11:22:08 PM
Well they already established that that model of Terminator looks like Arnie, so its not a big stretch. And as a way of explaining why he's old, it makes perfect sense, and is very clever. The worst thing they could have done is not acknowledge it.

What you're describing makes sense for Terminator 3, but this is an entirely different premise.  It's something of a "big stretch" that (it turns out) an orphaned Sarah Connor was raised by an Arnold Schwarzenegger that she called "Pop", surely?

I mean how can that be shoehorned into the original continuity?  I'd prefer them to reboot and ditch the entire Schwarzenegger connection because it's too overbearing.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on October 31, 2014, 11:35:01 PM
What you're describing makes sense for Terminator 3, but this is an entirely different premise.  It's something of a "big stretch" that (it turns out) an orphaned Sarah Connor was raised by an Arnold Schwarzenegger that she called "Pop", surely?

I mean how can that be shoehorned into the original continuity?  I'd prefer them to reboot and ditch the entire Schwarzenegger connection because it's too overbearing.

Yeah yeah all that stuff is a stretch, I'm saying the concept as to why a cyborg from the future is now 68 is extremely well handled. Its Moffat level clever. If they have to get Arnie into this this is by far the best way to do so.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 01, 2014, 12:00:21 AM
Yeah yeah all that stuff is a stretch, I'm saying the concept as to why a cyborg from the future is now 68 is extremely well handled. Its Moffat level clever.
It's Star Trek: the Next Generation level clever. Because it's exactly the same thing they said about Mr Data looking older.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 01, 2014, 01:07:48 AM
It's Star Trek: the Next Generation level clever.

Nah, it sounds more like J.J. Abrams' Star Trek.

Time-travelling and altered/split timelines are a major feature of the Terminator series, so a "pops" Arnie can go back in time and raise a child Sarah Connor, while still technically existing in the same canon as the other films. But of course it's effectively a full reboot.

Replies From View

Sounds like the old Rimmers in Red Dwarf aging kind of clever.

momatt

Quote from: Replies From View on October 31, 2014, 12:50:16 AM
It seems quite natural for scenes / story strands to be removed from a film and used as the basis for later sequels.

Good point.
Just rewatched the first one - there's a deleted scene where Sarah convinces Kyle that they need to go and blow up the Cyberdyne company, so the nuclear war never happens.  This scene wouldn't have made any sense in the first one, yet is a pretty massive part of the sequel.

The mini-trailers have just debuted on Instagram.  Looks alright I suppose.  Can't get over the shit title though.
instagram.com/terminatorgenisys

thraxx

What the article suggests doesn't make any sense at all.  Probably I'm a bit thick, but I've read it 4-5 times now, and I don't understand it.

I'm always astonished at how professional screenwriters can come up with such absolute shite.  How hard can it be for them to come up with a decent Terminator film?

Johnny Textface

I've just watched some sort of teaser online and really hoping it's a fake. The liquid metal effect looked rubbish compared to T2 and Arnold appears to have a badly superimposed arm. Ugh.

biggytitbo

lazarou

Looks like big budget fan-fiction.

SteveDave

Does every trailer have to have that BOOOOoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM bass noise in it? When something happens & everything goes into slow-motion?