Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator: Genisys

Started by El Unicornio, mang, October 30, 2014, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obel

Oh my god it looks absolutely terrible

biggytitbo

It did appear to just be all the old fan favourites edited together, but if its done well I wouldn't mind seeing something that's a mix of T1 and T2.

Shame we didn't get any Matt Smith tho.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 04, 2014, 07:08:57 PM
if its done well I wouldn't mind seeing something that's a mix of T1 and T2.

Do it in your mind!

Obel

I'm going to see it as it's Terminator and I'm a complete moron, but I'm not paying money for this. Definitely a greatest hits package.

Is the CGI unfinished or will the final film look that bad? It looks awful. Arnie jumping out of the CHOPPAH.. That cheese overhead shot of the T1000 or whatever cutting his arm off and using it as a spear... The godawful woodenness of Jai Courtney.. Oh man...

Deanjam

Quote from: Obel on December 04, 2014, 07:14:33 PM
I'm going to see it as it's Terminator and I'm a complete moron, but I'm not paying money for this.

Likewise.

I like the Terminator universe so will watch whatever they shit out. Like the Thing prequel I think I'll have most fun picking holes in the reenactment scenes.

Deanjam

Is his part quite small?[nb]Ooo-er missus[/nb] Seems like we'd have seen him if he was in it a fair bit.

lazarou

Thinking a little more about it, I'm not sure about re-casting Reece as a side of beef and sexing up Sarah Connor. Feels like they're really not getting it at all. What's the point when all the guys look like fucking Terminators? I like Emilia Clarke, but she's no Lena Headey, who was as good a re-casting job as you could've asked for, really.

brat-sampson

Yup, looks *awful*. Re-using old lines, old ideas, Old Arnold, steamrolling Canon etc etc.

As an aside I'm stunned Emilia Clarke looks so young in this. I had to double check this is actually the same person who plays Daenerys via google/IMDB, and I still find it difficult.

Artemis

Well there were parts of that I thought looked fun and it genuinely looks better than Salvation, but I'm soooo tired of seeing John Connor standing on a platform (overturned truck, top of a plane, whatever) and preaching to a couple of hundred people about how this is mankind's last, best hope. It's not even worn-out now, it's just fucking appalling writing and film-making. And boring.

Everything about this has been misjudged so far: the silly title; the dreadful magazine covers; and the 'REMEMBER THIS BIT?' trailer. I'm just hoping my expectations will be so low it'll pleasantly surprise me.

marquis_de_sad

JADED HOLLYWOOD HACK 1: Okay, we need something here, something to make the fat idiots in the audience sit up up notice, like it that bit in The Dark Knight when the truck flips up.

JADED HOLLYWOOD HACK 2: Yeah ok, well how about we make it like a bus instead and it flips up but then continues to flip around impossibly like a toy or something?

JADED HOLLYWOOD HACK 1: Great! I love it!

JADED HOLLYWOOD HACK 2: Have you got any coke?

Artemis

Please note, that the jets flying in the opening of this trailer are flying over the Hollywood sign.

THE JETS ARE FLYING OVER THE HOLLYWOOD SIGN.

It's worse than I could possibly have feared.

Recasting all these actors and the poor cgi makes it look like a  made for TV movie. Its Combat Academy to T2's Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol.

An tSaoi

Argh that's woeful! Sarah is already a gunned-up badass before she meets Kyle?! What?! The liquid terminator showing up in the timeline of the first film?! Oh no no no.

I don't even care enough to work out how it's all supposed to fit together.

VegaLA

According to Mr. Smith himself he is in the trailer. Must be one of those blink and you miss it appearances. He didn't provide a screen grab though.

Update: It was...standing in the background at 0.55. Oh Matt!

Artemis

Quote from: An tSaoi on December 04, 2014, 10:39:28 PM
I don't even care enough to work out how it's all supposed to fit together.

In fairness, I don't think we're expected to, at this point. This is just a collection of fan-faves, and trying to appeal to the nostalgia of the pre-T:3 excitement. Sadly it just comes across as a bit desperate, to me.

Blumf

Quote from: An tSaoi on December 04, 2014, 10:39:28 PM
Argh that's woeful! Sarah is already a gunned-up badass before she meets Kyle?!

Raises the question of how she got so badass. In the second film it's because of all the stuff she went through in the first drove her to it, but, if I'm understanding the trailer, she never goes through the events of T1 now. So... presumably she's now had more terminators come after her earlier in her life (before or after 'pops'?)

Meh, it doesn't look like it'll be as naff as T3, but it's still too 'glossy' when we really need 'gritty'.

Replies From View

Quote from: Artemis on December 04, 2014, 11:24:16 PM
In fairness, I don't think we're expected to, at this point.

And yet they're expecting people to cough up money for this lazy shit.

biggytitbo

I'm prepared to accept its a massive mishmash of stuff from the other films - it is time travel after all, the timeline is probably shredded to pieces by this point. As long as it's done with some aplomb it could still be fun.

Deanjam

Quote from: Blumf on December 04, 2014, 11:27:35 PM
Raises the question of how she got so badass. In the second film it's because of all the stuff she went through in the first drove her to it, but, if I'm understanding the trailer, she never goes through the events of T1 now. So... presumably she's now had more terminators come after her earlier in her life (before or after 'pops'?)

From the trailer I'd guess that old Arnie goes back to pre 84 Terminator and trains young Sarah Connor to become a badass. He then offs 84 Arnie on arrival, meaning that the machines have to send the liquid Terminator back earlier than they originally did in the 91 film. Kyle isn't killed by 84 Arnie so when he goes back he's able to help Sarah Connor bring down skynet as in the 91 film, but earlier.

Maybe.

Replies From View

Quote from: brat-sampson on December 04, 2014, 09:28:43 PM
As an aside I'm stunned Emilia Clarke looks so young in this.

Me too.  Her eyes look disportionately large for her face, like toddlers have.

"Come with me if you want to live."

No thanks you're alright.

NoSleep

Not sure why the rejigged timeline is such a big hurdle for some people. Looks like they're building from the Sarah Connor Chronicles, which had timelines flying all over the place (and completely wrote out the third film).

Terminator 3 was a bad cover version of Terminator 2.

Now it's one of those franchises that no-one can ever pull the plug on because it makes too much money.

The Roofdog

Bollocks to this. Do they think they've got an infinite get-out clause by saying "a man went back just before the man who went back last time"? Wankers.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 04, 2014, 11:51:54 PM
Now it's one of those franchises that no-one can ever pull the plug on because it makes too much money.
But isn't it being rebooted again because the company behind Salvation went bust?

Blumf

Quote from: Deanjam on December 04, 2014, 11:41:55 PM
From the trailer I'd guess that old Arnie goes back to pre 84 Terminator and trains young Sarah Connor to become a badass.

That's what's bugging me; you can't train that, or rather, it needs more than training. Sarah has to go though the horrors of the first film (or similar stuff, time-lines, blah blah) to deeply affect her character and turn her into the determined badass we saw in T2.

Presumably she does go through something similar... I hope.

Replies From View

Quote from: Deanjam on December 04, 2014, 11:41:55 PM
From the trailer I'd guess that old Arnie goes back to pre 84 Terminator and trains young Sarah Connor to become a badass. He then offs 84 Arnie on arrival, meaning that the machines have to send the liquid Terminator back earlier than they originally did in the 91 film. Kyle isn't killed by 84 Arnie so when he goes back he's able to help Sarah Connor bring down skynet as in the 91 film, but earlier.

Maybe.

Maybe.  There appear to be 3 Arnies:  the 1984 one, an older one that we see shooting the 1984 one, then an even older one with grey hair that says "I'll be back" before dropping out of the helicopter.  So at least we know that they do age, these Arnie Terminators.

It's like the end of the Red Dwarf episode 'Stasis Leak' where more and more Listers and Rimmers keep popping up and saying things like "I'm from the double-double future.  I'm the Rimmer who's with the Lister who married Kochanski".  "I'm the grey haired Arnie.  I'm the one who's been raising Sarah Connor all this time and been called 'Pops' by her for 30 years."

Looking forward to forgetting this exists, myself.

NoSleep

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 04, 2014, 11:57:22 PM
Bollocks to this. Do they think they've got an infinite get-out clause by saying "a man went back just before the man who went back last time"? Wankers.

Already established in TSCC, where people from different futures were battling in the present, etc[nb]There was one episode set during the prohibition era[/nb]. One day (in the past) the first Terminator film will be eradicated from history by a time traveller and it will your duty to travel back further than him and stop this.

Thomas

Time travel fiction always ends up mucking itself about when it goes down the 'history can be changed' route. Allows for all sorts of broken absurdities, all smothering each other in a desperate tangled writhe for some vague skeleton of internal logic.

I've had it. I've had this. Bloody guitar.