Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator: Genisys

Started by El Unicornio, mang, October 30, 2014, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

I still think the first film stands fine on its own and not worried by everything that's followed. T2 was a bit meh for me after the great storytelling in the first film. TSCC was fun, though with a frustrating stranded ending (rather like Twin Peaks) due to the plug being pulled, leaving you wanting to know what happened next. Didn't bother with 3 or 4. This new one looks more interesting to me but it doesn't matter because I know it can't ever top the first film. Couldn't give a shit about the CGI either, if the story's any cop.

I hope the trailer is designed to compel and distract all the old fans, otherwise we already know the plot. That's all the catchphrases covered isn't it?

Artemis

Quote from: Replies From View on December 04, 2014, 11:35:38 PM
And yet they're expecting people to cough up money for this lazy shit.

Woah there, big guy. It's a bit early to be calling a film 'lazy shit' on the basis of a two minute trailer, isn't it?

So is this one set in the 1980s, or is it meant to be happening now?

From what I first read I assumed it was about robots from the future going back to THIS decade to kill/protect a young Sarah Connor, in a total reboot.

Replies From View

Quote from: Artemis on December 05, 2014, 04:33:51 AM
Woah there, big guy. It's a bit early to be calling a film 'lazy shit' on the basis of a two minute trailer, isn't it?

How long should the trailer be?

momatt

Quote from: lazarou on December 04, 2014, 07:22:20 PM
Thinking a little more about it, I'm not sure about re-casting Reece as a side of beef and sexing up Sarah Connor.

Exactly, one of the things that makes T1 so tense and great to watch is the huge difference in physical size between Reece and the Terminator.  Very David & Goliath.
Two equally massive blokes hitting each other is nowhere near as interesting.

I liked Salvation, so I was disappointed that they didn't continue with that arc. 

I'll still watch it of course, but almost certainly not pay for it.

phantom_power

I predict that this will be good. It will be easily the third best Terminator film, and let's face it, it would be pretty difficult to be higher than that. I think the timeline stuff is a way of clearing up the mess of the last two films and restart from scratch, like X-Men Days of Future Past. I trust that the director knows what he is doing and the actors (apart from Jai Courtney, who seems like an even more vanilla Sam Worthington) are decent. I like the idea of a Reese coming back to save Sarah Connor and then the roles being reversed, thrown into an alternate past that he doesn't understand. I am also pretty sure the CGI will be tidied up by the time of release.

I think Smith doesn't appear in the trailer because there is some mystery surrounding his character that might be spoilt by his inclusion. I don't think it necessarily suggests the size of his role.

Replies From View

I hope they have a scene where the Arnie Terminator's car slides sideways into a truck of manure, which then spills all over him, prompting him to complain that he hates manure.

Obel

I've decided this isn't a best of collection, it's more of a shit pub tribute band. Shades of the original Terminators, just similar enough but with no heart and kind of embarrassing to watch.

It's remarkable with what they've done with the franchise since 2. Rise of the Machines came out and it was bad, but then Salvation came out and made 3 look pretty good. Then Salvation came out and it was total shit. Now Genisys is coming out Salvation can be upgraded to just kinda shit, while this one can be complete and total dross. Come Terminator 9 we'll be hailing Genisys as a cinematic masterpiece and the original two Terminator movies will be transferred into some sort of substance that we can heat up and inject into our veins for the ultimate high.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Obel on December 05, 2014, 10:19:37 AM
then Salvation came out and made 3 look pretty good. Then Salvation came out and it was total shit.

Bloody time travel.

NoSleep

Notice TSCC doesn't exist in Obel's timeline and yet the two shit films do.

Replies From View

I've decided this isn't a best of collection, it's more of a shit pub tribute band. Shades of the original Terminators, just similar enough but with no heart and kind of embarrassing to watch.

The Terminator has basically been a shit pub tribute band since Terminator 3, I reckon.  There's a thing they keep doing based on what Kyle Reese does to the Terminator exoskeleton in the first film, where he tries wacking it around the head with a metal bar, 1, 2, 3 times and then the Terminator just clobbers him with the back of its arm, sending him flying.  That's strangely repeated in the later sequels.  And there's something else where an Arnie has to be looking sharply to the side after being hit (as per the woman in T2 who smacks him in the hospital and breaks his sunglasses), and he has to slowly turn his head back forwards again.  Weird specific actions that have become "things" for no reason other than that they remind us of the earlier films.

Obel

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 05, 2014, 10:27:09 AM
Bloody time travel.

Whoops! Oh well, can't be bothered to edit that now

Obel

Quote from: NoSleep on December 05, 2014, 10:29:00 AM
Notice TSCC doesn't exist in Obel's timeline and yet the two shit films do.

Ah I never watched that after not enjoying the pilot, so can't comment on it. Heard it got pretty good though.

phantom_power

There is no way to judge

How on earth can you judge that based on what little you see in the trailer? It is fine to not like the concept but you can't really judge the execution until there is more footage to go on. You could say that it will be shit because the last two were but the creative teams are different. You can say the odds are against it being good because of the nature of sequels and reboots but X-Men Days of  Future Past, in my opinion, shows that you can have a later sequel still be creatively interesting and entertaining.

stunted

As soon as Sarah said, "we can stop judgement day from happening" I became instantly bored. That story. Again. The original had a nice grimness due to the fact that Sarah was fighting for survival just so she (or her son) could then go on to live long enough to see most of the human race die.

Obel

Quote from: phantom_power on December 05, 2014, 11:24:14 AM
There is no way to judge
How on earth can you judge that based on what little you see in the trailer?

Because of the following:

Terminator arm with no skin and Arnie looking at it all puzzled
Motorcyle jumping off a thing onto a thing
A CHOPPAH
"Come with me if you want to live"
80's clothing store action scene
Liquid metal Terminator in police outfit
John Connor doing an inspirational speech

There are others I'm forgetting. The film might be okay. But it's already incredibly derivative just going by the trailer. Tribute band.

Mister Six

The Terminator franchise actually IS a Terminator at this point, isn't it? Everything human and appealing torn and burned away, crippled beyond belief, and yet still clawing its way through the factory of modern Hollywood. Someone needs to turn on the industrial press and crush this mother, STAT.

Preferably Linda Hamilton with crazy big '80s hair.

To be honest, this looks like it might be a competent actioner. The basic premise is pretty smart, and the trailer does a frankly phenomenal job of selling something that convoluted in such a short space of time. But this film, surely, is the last Terminator film anyone could possibly make, because it's an all-out admission that not only are there no new ideas to be explored in the series, there wouldn't even be any room to put them if there were.

Terminator 2 is the only action movie sequel I can think of (excepting the endless trilogies) that not only continues the story and its world, but actually develops it in a way that makes it feel like a necessary addition to the first film. The transformation of Sarah Connor, the growth of John Connor, the fleshing out of Cyberdyne and its world - it's all logical and compelling and actually adds to the original movie rather than diluting, repeating or ignoring it, as almost every other sequel does.

And that's without even mentioning the T-1000 (an extraordinary concept perfectly executed), the elaboration on the 'chase' model of the first film, the fantastic action scenes or the memorable moments and set-pieces.

Terminator 3 was a clear sign that the franchise was dead. It told us nothing new about the world or its characters; it brought us nothing new on a base conceptual level (a Terminator skeleton wrapped in T-1000 metal... with a LASER GUN! That's 13-year-old-boy-level creativity at best) and it ate itself with charmless meta humour.

Salvation showed us that nobody cares about the future war, so they've had to go back to the modern day. But that means there's only one story you can really tell with these characters at this period of time - we have to stop the war from happening! - and the writers are so painted into a corner by the franchise as a whole that the only way out is basically mash-up of Terminator 1, Terminator 2 and the Sarah Connor TV show, all looping around each other for 120 minutes until the sheer level of pointlessness reaches critical mass and they vanish into their own wormholes. It's post-modernism gone mad.

I'll probably still watch it at some point, and it'll probably still be fun enough, but this really should be the end of the franchise, not a reboot.

Unless Matt Smith's mysterious character turns out to be The Doctor. Then I hope it runs forever.

Replies From View

Quote from: Obel on December 05, 2014, 12:22:57 PM

A CHOPPAH

There are others I'm forgetting. The film might be okay. But it's already incredibly derivative just going by the trailer. Tribute band.

To say nothing of the sequence in which a bullet goes through the eye of a liquid metal Terminator, so we get to see a hole which then closes up, just like in T2.  Except in T2 a lot of the effect was achieved with puppetry and actually looked better than this tribute band effort made over 20 years later.

NoSleep

A CHOPPAH

More like the trailer is that tribute band (for obvious reasons). There will be quite a few more minutes to this film, I imagine.

El Unicornio, mang

I think it looks fun, I just hope there won't be too many comedy references to the previous films (like they had in T3)

Sivead

Looks really cheap like a pilot for one of them CW superhero TV shows. Is that footage of younger Arnie taken right from the first one and jarringly edited in? Bit of a ghost of Bruce Lee straight to video sequel trick, don't they still have the CGI salvation files somewhere they could reuse?

Mango Chimes

A CHOPPAH

Also this, oddly. Maybe they got confused.

Obel

NoSleep

Why did I know your precious childhood would have something to do with this? I believe it was re-rated from 18 to 15 in 2001, so I'm guessing you didn't see it when it was first released?

Petey Pate

Quote from: greenman on December 05, 2014, 03:49:23 PM
Genisys?

I presumed that it was a humorous misspelling by the OP and was a bit baffled to find out that it was genuinely the film title.

Custard

The only bit I feel really dismayed in, is the unexpected T-1000 re-do. Why? What is point?

Sarah Connor is meant to be hard as fuck right out of the box in this,
Spoiler alert
as she was apparently bought up by an Arnie T-800 from birth.
[close]
Yes. Yes, I know. I know.

You could say the trailer defence, of them sticking all the more obvious bits in the trailer, purely to create interest, and there could be much more to it in the full film, but I dunno. It really does look like a bizarre fan-fiction with a massive budget attached. A messy, convoluted remix of Cameron's two films.

Still, whatever happens, we will always have those two films and The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Unless they find a way to go back in time and piss all over them too. Which they will.

NoSleep

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 05, 2014, 04:55:10 PM

Sarah Connor is meant to be hard as fuck right out of the box in this.

Except she's now being groomed for a breeding program concocted by her own future son?

Replies From View

Quote from: greenman on December 05, 2014, 03:49:23 PM
Genisys?

My only regret in life is failing to include "Sperminator" in my "Penisys" tag.

Custard

Quote from: NoSleep on December 05, 2014, 05:10:41 PM
Except she's now being groomed for a breeding program concocted by her own future son?

See, that'd be great