Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bob Carpenter - Silent Passage

Started by weekender, November 04, 2014, 06:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Every now and then a short review in a music magazine will catch my eye.

It will usually contain the words 'under-rated', 'folk' and possibly 'gem'.

So it was with this album, which I have been listening to fairly constantly for a couple of weeks now.

There's not a lot about it on the internet, so I guess I'll have to use my own words.

This is an under-rated folk gem from 1975.

If you like Nick Drake, you'll like this.  Here's my favourite track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3uTLqSTT0Y

Kane Jones

The title track from the album kicked off Midlake's Late Night Tales album and I liked it as soon as I heard it.  This was a couple of years ago now.  I have a feeling copies of the album were really pricey at the time, which put me off buying it.  Might have a fart around on Discogs and see if it's any cheaper.  Thanks for the reminder, Weekers.

Crabwalk

It's only recently had a proper release, having been originally shelved by the label and only having a limited CD issue much later, in Japan I think. You can probably pick it up fairly cheaply now via the usual outlets.

Edit: just checked and I made up the Japan thing. It only ever had a belated, limited vinyl release in Canada, with the recent CD and vinyl reissue being the album's first ever 'proper' release. I've heard bits of it before, but will give it a proper full listen in light of the superlative-laden reviews and weekender's post.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: weekender on November 04, 2014, 06:31:54 PM
If you like Nick Drake, you'll like this.  Here's my favourite track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3uTLqSTT0Y

Oh, that *is* good.

31 seconds in (just paused to post)- Oh man this is perfect.
Bob Carpenter - Down Along the Border