Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:57:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Adam Buxton Loves... Christmas on Sky Arts (one-off special)

Started by madhair60, November 05, 2014, 12:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

No real information yet but it's just nice that Buckles will be back on the telly.  Can't wait.

Benjaminos

Christmas' is not the plural of Christmas. Pull your socks up, Chortle.

Otisberg

Anyone really think Adam Buxton is that good? He likes shouting, jumping and doing silly voices, but that is about it. He is never truly "funny". His MeBox was woefully bad and Bug is just him pointing out You Tube comments, it's hardly Lenny Bruce.

While it is clear that he is a very nice man, he just isn't very funny.

Spiral King

I do think he has become less funny... if only because I feel like the bulk of his work is now "let's read a youtube video comment in a funny voice". Back in The Adam and Joe Show days, whether you think it was student rubbish or not, he and Joe Cornish were putting real effort into the material and that often went a long way. Series 4, for example, is still genuinely really good, and I rewatch it with worrying regularity.

I think Cornish, and his ambition to create and direct, helped ground Buxton a little (scornballing all the way). However, now the partnership is over, Adam has kind of lost focus.

madhair60

Saw him do Kernel Panic the other month, laughed like a drain for two hours.

Spiral King

I also think a Ken Korda series (co-written and directed by Cornish) would have serious potential. He is, by far, Buxton's funniest creation.

thenoise

His youtube videos, parody music videos etc. are still great and made with a great deal of effort/love.  Ok these are getting fewer and farer between but presumably he's been working on this thing, right?

Their old channel 4 show was really hit and miss.  The toy movie parodies / toy star wars parodies were shit, far too long, and presumably only included to scratch Joe's directing itch.  Goodness knows why they make up the bulk of the DVD, while much worthier material got excised.  Go Tokyo was quite good, if I remember correctly, but their radio shows were by far the best thing they have done together.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Otisberg on November 05, 2014, 03:55:30 PM
Anyone really think Adam Buxton is that good? He likes shouting, jumping and doing silly voices, but that is about it. He is never truly "funny". His MeBox was woefully bad and Bug is just him pointing out You Tube comments, it's hardly Lenny Bruce.

I have a deep love for Adam Buxton and I'm prepared to fight anyone who differs from my opinion. Having said that Meebox was only okay and Bug was a bit rubbish. Don't get me wrong, Bug was transferred from a live show and I'd love to see the live show and reckon it's really good, it just didn't translate to telly that well in my little opinion. I think that it might be a while before a suitable TV vehicle will show up for Adam, he's a bit like Richard Herring in that way but I have way more affection for Ad.

Spiral King

Quote from: thenoise on November 05, 2014, 04:22:19 PM
His youtube videos, parody music videos etc. are still great and made with a great deal of effort/love.  Ok these are getting fewer and farer between but presumably he's been working on this thing, right?

Their old channel 4 show was really hit and miss.  The toy movie parodies / toy star wars parodies were shit, far too long, and presumably only included to scratch Joe's directing itch.  Goodness knows why they make up the bulk of the DVD, while much worthier material got excised.  Go Tokyo was quite good, if I remember correctly, but their radio shows were by far the best thing they have done together.

The problem with the DVD is a lot of the best bits had unclearable copyrighted material in them. But I do agree, the toy movie parodies were hit and miss, but you could tell they were really trying. Makes it endearing? I dunno.

The radio shows are nice, but it's kinda sad listening to Joe get less and less bothered about them. The XFM era was definitely better than the 6 Music era, which I'm sure is an unpopular opinion, but there was a lot more effort put into them on the whole, and are more enjoyable to listen to. Also feel the partnership was stronger back then as well.

I guess I just feel they're both so much better when they actually try.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thenoise on November 05, 2014, 04:22:19 PM
their radio shows were by far the best thing they have done together.

I kind of agree but I really like The Adam and Joe Show and Shock Video was a revelation. They're bloody hilarious in that. It's like the radio show but with boobs and raunchy cartoons and that.

Gulftastic

I'm sure Adam popped up on British Boot Camp 2 on Sunday, calling himself 'Sha Samuals'

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Spiral King on November 05, 2014, 04:27:08 PM
The radio shows are nice, but it's kinda sad listening to Joe get less and less bothered about them. The XFM era was definitely better than the 6 Music era, which I'm sure is an unpopular opinion, but there was a lot more effort put into them on the whole, and are more enjoyable to listen to. Also feel the partnership was stronger back then as well.

Yeah, I prefer the XFM shows and it is a bit annoying when Joe doesn't bother showing up for an episode because he's fucked off to California for a meeting. Could they not have postponed the meeting for a day or two? Hollywood cunts are always sitting around having meetings. And then when you find out the meeting was for something as shitty as Tin Tin. What am I blathering about?

Hat FM

A Ken korda programme in the style of 'I'm Alan Partridge' would be great.  Adam could even do that and just chuck it on youtube as i'm not sure if any tv channels would be that interested as they are dumb.

The later episodes of the 6music show felt like they were almost entirely made up of them reading out listeners e-mail's. A real overload of features and listener contributions. I always preferred it when it was just the two of them chatting away, or when they'd bring in something pre-prepared about whatever pop cultural nonsense had amused them that week. Made-Up Jokes was a bit shit as well, I ended up just skipping through those parts and never understood why they persevered with it for so long.

I do like Buxton though and hope this does well. I'd probably watch anything he did purely because he comes across as a genuinely decent guy.

Spiral King

Quote from: Hat FM on November 05, 2014, 05:37:09 PM
A Ken korda programme in the style of 'I'm Alan Partridge' would be great.  Adam could even do that and just chuck it on youtube as i'm not sure if any tv channels would be that interested as they are dumb.

Yessss. That or an extension of the Music and Movie features from Series 2 and 3 of The Adam and Joe Show. Follow the brassEYE format and tackle a different bit of media each week.

Quote from: Quote on November 05, 2014, 05:42:07 PM
The later episodes of the 6music show felt like they were almost entirely made up of them reading out listeners e-mail's. A real overload of features and listener contributions. [...] Made-Up Jokes was a bit shit as well, I ended up just skipping through those parts and never understood why they persevered with it for so long.

People like a jerk circle. They like to feel included and I think that's why so many people remember the 6 Music stuff and hanker for more now. Don't get me wrong, there is SOME good material there, but most of it is... as you say, injokes and contributions from listeners who perpetuate them. Like the twee nicknames for Adam and Joe, that Joe got very tired with towards the end of the 2011 run.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

All he needs is the time and space to develop Country Man - the filming and post-editing he's clearly quite capable of doing himself.

amnesiac

The Buxton backlash starts here!

if all he did were those YT comments in a funny voice i'd still think he was brilliant, that the energy and resources required to keep him alive were worth it, that voice of the disgruntled Mac user (the version of OS X with the dock thing) made me laugh more than anything i can remember at the time.

Leo2112

Agree about the quality of the radio shows towards the end.  Actually think Cornish starts to become bit more unlikeable as the directing bug takes over.  Don't think he comes out of this looking great - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clDpRH3iA4  Extremely defensive about any criticism, as you can understand when promoting his film.  Rankles a bit though considering he would gleefully destroy films on the radio show, now claiming that slagged off films may just be misinterpreted.

Heard him on the nerdist podcast recently. Buxton is a really funny and likable guy, but he needs to find a role in the current UK media climate that's right for him.

Bug is great but didn't translate to TV well. 30mins was too short, each show only 2 or 3 videos?

MeBox wasn't very good, I can see why it wasn't commissioned. Love the guy but didn't laugh once. His youtube is a better platform for that.

Without Joe he's a bit lost. He's so nice, can imagine him doing a "serious" BBC presenting role, Culture Show maybe.

amnesiac

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Leo2112 on November 06, 2014, 01:02:51 AM
Agree about the quality of the radio shows towards the end.  Actually think Cornish starts to become bit more unlikeable as the directing bug takes over.  Don't think he comes out of this looking great - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clDpRH3iA4  Extremely defensive about any criticism, as you can understand when promoting his film.  Rankles a bit though considering he would gleefully destroy films on the radio show, now claiming that slagged off films may just be misinterpreted.

Yeah, that one really sticks out in my mind. Kermode wasn't even being particularly harsh either was he? I think that episode was just an instance of the paint still being wet on the canvas though. Give it a distance of a couple of years, and he'll probably agree with everything Kermode said - he'll probably be harsher on himself if anything.

I know what you mean though, Cornish was always a bit chippy on the radio show. It didn't feel particularly pleasant when he started taking the piss out of Simon the mentally deranged chef (I'm sure someone must remember that), and having to have Buxton come in to defend him.

Yet, Black Squadron listeners will remember, it was Cornish (not Buxton) who rescued a cat from his doorstep; and the same man who averted a major terrorist incident on the London Underground. Thus I'm more inclined to think he's actually a nice man who just gets carried away with his verbosity and generally high intelligence sometimes.

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2014, 02:15:50 PM
It didn't feel particularly pleasant when he started taking the piss out of Simon the mentally deranged chef (I'm sure someone must remember that), and having to have Buxton come in to defend him.

Yep I remember it.
To be fair to Joe, he didn't know that Simon was mentally deranged did he?[nb]do we?[/nb] I think he just enjoyed the way he talked and got a little carried away.  Just playful banter as opposed to knowingly taking the piss out of someone with intellectual disabilities.

Phil_A

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on November 06, 2014, 04:09:03 AM
Heard him on the nerdist podcast recently. Buxton is a really funny and likable guy, but he needs to find a role in the current UK media climate that's right for him.

Bug is great but didn't translate to TV well. 30mins was too short, each show only 2 or 3 videos?

Once you factor in the ad breaks it's not even the full half hour, but a pathetic 22 and a half minutes! Yeah, completely the wrong format for that kind of show.

amnesiac

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 06, 2014, 02:15:50 PM
Black Squadron

Fucking Black Squadron, kill, burn, destroy, I hate it. It ages really badly on the podcast and is a stupid idea to begin with. And I hate the Black Squadron jingle as well.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Johnny Textface on November 06, 2014, 02:34:46 PM
Yep I remember it.
To be fair to Joe, he didn't know that Simon was mentally deranged did he?[nb]do we?[/nb] I think he just enjoyed the way he talked and got a little carried away.  Just playful banter as opposed to knowingly taking the piss out of someone with intellectual disabilities.

He didn't seem all there to me. Maybe he was just stoned though and I'm being hyper-sensitive.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 06, 2014, 02:53:16 PM
Fucking Black Squadron, kill, burn, destroy, I hate it. It ages really badly on the podcast and is a stupid idea to begin with. And I hate the Black Squadron jingle as well.

Obviously you are a late riser and all your agression directed towards Black Squandron is displaced disgust at yourself and your inability to have woken up at a reasonable hour.