Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:27:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fallout 4

Started by Mister Six, November 05, 2014, 02:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: kittens on November 16, 2014, 03:13:50 PM
yesterday i started playing fallout 2!! i'm excited i hope it's good. so far i have had serious trouble hitting things with my big spear

You can just kill the bloke who tells you to go into the temple if you want. It's not good for your karma but the temple is the worst tutorial/game opening ever made. Also the frat gun you get is shit. But it gets A LOT better, I promise you.

Are you playing the GOG version or another recent re-release? If you downloaded the original CD rip you'll need to get a fuckton of patches because the original release is bugged to hell.

Also if you're playing the European versions that had the child characters cut out then download the patch to restore them. Not absolutely essential, but you can't do a couple of side quests otherwise.

And remember: directly harming the kids gets you the 'child murderer' trait, which you really don't want. But if you reverse-pickpocket TNT onto them then no one will ever know...

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Mister Six on November 16, 2014, 04:29:42 PMAnd remember: directly harming the kids gets you the 'child murderer' trait, which you really don't want. But if you reverse-pickpocket TNT onto them then no one will ever know...

Just like real life!

I am Wile E Coyote.

Make sure you arm-wrestle that Super Mutant in Broken Hills.

kittens

it's the gog version, and there are quite a few kids running about the place. just about to enter the power plant in gecko. really enjoying it so far, nicked myself and my buddies loads of nice stuff from the cunts at vault city and they don't even know about it!!

Mister Six

Don't worry if you start to grow an extra toe after stepping in green goop - you can get it amputated later.

And it's worth doing the shit-shovelling exercise when offered a chance. It's repetitious, but you'll get a perk from it.

Benjaminos

That's a really nice site.

So, what's everyone hoping for? Given that it'll be the first next-gen Fallout, I want a map about twice the size of Skyrim, dynamically generated content (and not just that Radiant Quests bollocks), and meaningful choices that lead to irrevocable repercussions somewhere down the line, a la Witcher.

Ooh, and another side-area/DLC based around Big MT, or at least something with the same level of humour. Old World Blues 4eva.

Jobey

O SHIT

Look forward to this in 2017.

kittens

is there supposed to be anything on there other than the spinning thing

mook

Quote from: kittens on June 02, 2015, 05:19:38 PM

it's a satire on trying to get there bug ridden version of new vegas to fire up. fucking thing

wooders1978

Oh man I am excited

Consignia

Quote from: kittens on June 02, 2015, 05:19:38 PM

I had turn off Ghostery and AdBlock to see it, and it was just a countdown.

Thursday

I'm sort of surprised at how much excitement there seems to be for this. (I'm thinking more twitter than here) I mean I really liked Fallout and New Vegas but I'm not really in a hurry to dip back in I feel like I've seen most of what that world has to offer. They're two huge games, and they both have a lot that I never touched or found.

When I went back in to play The Old World blues DLC, because people were comparing it to an Adult Swim cartoon I remembered how dreary it can actually be to play. I mean for all the highs the games also forced you to go through hours and hours of shooting things in samey environments, despite the fact that it's shooting mechanics aren't actually much fun.

I mean I hate to be that cunt that goes "Hey that thing you're all excited about is shit!" Because I'm sure I'll end up getting it but I just had no idea people were that enthusiastic about it.

Consignia

For me, I never got the love for the Elder Scrolls games, like Skyrim. I like the game style, I just can't stand the fantasy setting. Which is why I'm looking forward to Fallout, because it's in a more comfortable setting. I never thought the setting was that dreary either, although it could do with a bit more colour in the scenery.

syntaxerror

Quote from: Consignia on June 02, 2015, 07:51:33 PM
For me, I never got the love for the Elder Scrolls games, like Skyrim. I like the game style, I just can't stand the fantasy setting. Which is why I'm looking forward to Fallout, because it's in a more comfortable setting. I never thought the setting was that dreary either, although it could do with a bit more colour in the scenery.

As someone who's never really cared much for the fantasy 'genre' I'd make a willing exception for the elder scrolls games, because they're so bloody good. Granted, there is a fair bit of hocus pocus bullshit, but you can ignore all that if you want, I guess it comes down to how you chose to play them.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Thursday on June 02, 2015, 07:32:36 PM
I remembered how dreary it can actually be to play. I mean for all the highs the games also forced you to go through hours and hours of shooting things in samey environments, despite the fact that it's shooting mechanics aren't actually much fun.
It can certainly be a chore to begin with, but I find that once you level up enough the shooting gets much more like this...

Consignia

Quote from: syntaxerror on June 02, 2015, 09:27:09 PM
As someone who's never really cared much for the fantasy 'genre' I'd make a willing exception for the elder scrolls games, because they're so bloody good. Granted, there is a fair bit of hocus pocus bullshit, but you can ignore all that if you want, I guess it comes down to how you chose to play them.

Yeah, to be fair there is another reason I like Fallout over Skyrim: VATS. I'm so cack handed, I can't aim properly in anything without some sort of auto lock-on facility. VATS allowed a play style that I was really able to enjoy. I do have Skyrim which I bought in a Steam sale, but I found it difficult to control. I realise this is more my problem than the game's.

lazarou

You can mitigate against that a bit in Skyrim by investing heavily in sneak and bow skills, which start off fairly easy and quickly ramp up to powers that let you one-shot nasties and slow time as you aim. Probably the most fun you can have with the combat in that one.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Thursday on June 02, 2015, 07:32:36 PM
I'm sort of surprised at how much excitement there seems to be for this. (I'm thinking more twitter than here) I mean I really liked Fallout and New Vegas but I'm not really in a hurry to dip back in I feel like I've seen most of what that world has to offer. They're two huge games, and they both have a lot that I never touched or found.

When I went back in to play The Old World blues DLC, because people were comparing it to an Adult Swim cartoon I remembered how dreary it can actually be to play. I mean for all the highs the games also forced you to go through hours and hours of shooting things in samey environments, despite the fact that it's shooting mechanics aren't actually much fun.

I mean I hate to be that cunt that goes "Hey that thing you're all excited about is shit!" Because I'm sure I'll end up getting it but I just had no idea people were that enthusiastic about it.

Fallout 3 is one of my most favourite games of all time - realistically, it's probably in my top five and maybe in the top three.

In the past, I've mentioned I've talked about what I did like - but most importantly, it had the most satisfying role-playing element that I've played in any RPG. I genuinely felt my character was shaped by their experiences and that they took a different path than they intended when taking the first tentative steps to adulthood.

Bhazor

I'm just hoping for a new graphics engine. They've been using basically the same engine since Oblivion and it has been looking rough since Oblivion.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Bhazor on June 02, 2015, 11:52:01 PM
I'm just hoping for a new graphics engine. They've been using basically the same engine since Oblivion and it has been looking rough since Oblivion.
They made a new one for Skyrim didn't they?

What's the likelihood that this will be released for the PS3/Xbox360?

Mobius

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 03, 2015, 12:04:20 AM
They made a new one for Skyrim didn't they?

What's the likelihood that this will be released for the PS3/Xbox360?

Apparently someone did a 'data mine' and there's 360 and PS3 logos in it so it seems like it's going to be on everything.

wooders1978

I'd be surprised as by 2017 I would think last gen titles would be long gone and, selfishly, I hope it's not held back by trying to cater for both

Ignatius_S

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 03, 2015, 08:25:20 AM
I'd be surprised as by 2017 I would think last gen titles would be long gone and, selfishly, I hope it's not held back by trying to cater for both

Ditto - and Fwiw, someone on Reddit has claimed a preorder code is current gen only.

surreal

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 03, 2015, 08:25:20 AM

Skyrim was announced just under a year ahead of release so we should (hopefully) get it well before 2017... there are references to The Institute in the code on that webpage (institute.js) so it's assumed that means MIT which equals a Boston setting as previously expected.  I guess we'll see at 3pm today.

Viero_Berlotti

I hope they make the survival element of Fallout 4 more central to the game. For a post-apocalyptic world Fallout 3 and especially New Vegas were pretty easy survive in, and it didn't take long to horde tons of food and water and never really go without. I'm not talking Day Z levels of survival detail, Fallout is meant to be an exaggerated and cartoony world where it doesn't matter if things don't exactly drip with realism. However it's the wandering off from the main story and exploring the wasteland that makes a Fallout game for me, and if they made that more difficult and hard-fought it would ultimately feel more rewarding.

wooders1978

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on June 03, 2015, 12:55:47 PM
I hope they make the survival element of Fallout 4 more central to the game. For a post-apocalyptic world Fallout 3 and especially New Vegas were pretty easy survive in, and it didn't take long to horde tons of food and water and never really go without. I'm not talking Day Z levels of survival detail, Fallout is meant to be an exaggerated and cartoony world where it doesn't matter if things don't exactly drip with realism. However it's the wandering off from the main story and exploring the wasteland that makes a Fallout game for me, and if they made that more difficult and hard-fought it would ultimately feel more rewarding.

They should retain it as being optional though as per new Vegas - I couldn't be arsed with all of that shit to be frank

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 03, 2015, 01:00:32 PM
They should retain it as being optional though as per new Vegas - I couldn't be arsed with all of that shit to be frank

The optional 'Hardcore Mode' in New Vegas didn't really work though. It just became a minor annoyance, having to top up thirst and hunger levels every now and then. I don't know what system they could use but it would be good to see survival given more focus, so it becomes something that needs to be considered tactically in the game rather than a chore.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on June 03, 2015, 01:09:18 PM
The optional 'Hardcore Mode' in New Vegas didn't really work though. It just became a minor annoyance, having to top up thirst and hunger levels every now and then. I don't know what system they could use but it would be good to see survival given more focus, so it becomes something that needs to be considered tactically in the game rather than a chore.

Personally, I'm doubtful about how wide the appeal would be to extend survival as an obvious focus on the game. That said...

I would suggest sliders influencing different factors (e.g. rate of thirst, cumulative effect) but feel we're realistically looking at mods. New Vegas' hardcore mode was rubbish as you say, but I think that's what the team think the vast majority of players will accept as a challenge – that the lead designer released a mod that was far better/more challenging than hardcore was telling.

However, one thing that I feel people really like about the games is the flexibility of builds. If managing factors like hunger and thirst become a lot more challenging, then there could be an impact there. With various mods, Survival became a great skill to have in New Vegas but it could feel like a 'must-have', which limits build options. In New Vegas, it wasn't particularly useful and although it was a nice role-playing pick there were less points to play with than in Fallout 3 and I think there was more pressure to spend on skills with clearly practical purposes.

Ignatius_S

PC, Xbox One and PS4 only confirmed.